C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another TPMS Problem...

Old 06-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Onurb
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another TPMS Problem...

Hello guys,

I know thereīs a lot of topics regarding this, but i could find the answer to my problem...
I bought my first Vette two weeks ago... itīs a Z06 2009, when i start driving it the tpms shows "XX", and no low tire pressure indicator, all TC modes were available.
One morning while talking to a friend, i left the lights and radio on, battery down, car wonīt start, you know how it finish.
Now, i got the message "Service TPMS", 3 tires reading "00", 1 with no info, i take the car to the dealer, tried to relearn them but it didnīt work, i donīt have the "low tire pressure" light on... but the car thinks that i don't have tire pressure, so de AH works in strange ways.
Any help..? or just change the sensors..?

Thanxs in advance for your answers.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Enterprisehunter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a base 2009 and had some 00 readings on 1 sensor. Once replaced ALL good. But with ur low batt situation I would drive around a bit and be sure it is not batt related. Or replace batt with new and drive around, if
DIC mess remains replace TPMS sensors.
The following users liked this post:
Onurb (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:01 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Interesting symptoms.

I'm concerned that the dealer couldn't relearn the sensors.

The "XX" usually indicates the sensor batteries have died, but not necessarily.

The "0" pressure often indicates a corrupt memory in the module, so relearning is the answer to that one.

Do you know for a fact that the car battery is GOOD?

If no, or you don't have any idea about the car battery, I suggest you put a new one in, if for no other reason than you will now know the battery history.

If yes, then I suggest you start by disconnecting the battery again for at least 10 minutes. Reconnect and drive the car at least 20 mph for a few minutes. That should wake the sensors up and start them transmitting if they can.

If still nothing, then you're probably looking at new sensors.
Onurb (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Onurb
Cruising

Originally Posted by RicK T
Interesting symptoms.

I'm concerned that the dealer couldn't relearn the sensors.

The "XX" usually indicates the sensor batteries have died, but not necessarily.

The "0" pressure often indicates a corrupt memory in the module, so relearning is the answer to that one.

Do you know for a fact that the car battery is GOOD?

If no, or you don't have any idea about the car battery, I suggest you put a new one in, if for no other reason than you will now know the battery history.

If yes, then I suggest you start by disconnecting the battery again for at least 10 minutes. Reconnect and drive the car at least 20 mph for a few minutes. That should wake the sensors up and start them transmitting if they can.

If still nothing, then you're probably looking at new sensors.

To be honest, iīm not sure about the real condition of the battery...
Anyways, iīm going to disconect it and try if its works...

Thanx for the help!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I agree with what Rick said and would only add to put the battery on a charger overnight if you have one. Then do what he said. I guess I would start by replacing the sensor that threw the XX first, before replacing all of them...if replacement is necessary at all.
Onurb (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

How many miles on the car, presuming the sensors are original?

7-8 years would not be an unusual time for sensor batteries to start dying, especially if the car has a lot of miles. But not a foregone conclusion, so the other suggestions are worth trying first.
Onurb (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 09:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

And if you don't have one already, it's a good idea to have a battery tender and/or a charger when you own a C6...LOL
Onurb (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I have had the RF wheel give me a high pressure warning and it was OK and another time I got the XXX. Both times everything cleared after a restart. 2011 with 79k miles.
Onurb (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Onurb
Cruising

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
How many miles on the car, presuming the sensors are original?

7-8 years would not be an unusual time for sensor batteries to start dying, especially if the car has a lot of miles. But not a foregone conclusion, so the other suggestions are worth trying first.
It has 35.000 kms (21.800 Miles).
I will try tomorrow the other suggestions...

Thanx again!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:56 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had trouble tire sensor for year, always showing 0 PSI, eventually it went to XXX, and had it replaced.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Start with a new car battery, then replace sensors if still showing XX. Because it sounds like you need a new battery.
Onurb (06-22-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Onurb
Cruising

I left the car with the battery disconnected overnight, and the message appears again... The battery indicator is green, so it should be ok, I'm going to buy the new sensors, what do you think about this ones ?

ACDelco 23445327 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9H1JCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.S9Axb9YMXXVM

Thanx again !
Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Unfortunately, a green battery indicator is far from foolproof as a battery test. Better to have a shop charge and load test the battery. Or if your battery is more than 3 years old, maybe just replace it.

The Delco/GM sensors are usually good, just be sure to get the right ones since there are a couple of different versions depending on the year of your car and if was made for US or foreign (not sure about Canada).

Some of the aftermarket ones (Schraeder, for example) are good and some others have had problems.

A good tire shop can replace a sensor without removing the tire from the wheel, and so no rebalancing is needed. A bad tire shop can charge too much, scratch your wheels, overtorque the lug nuts, damage the sensors, damage your rocker panels by improper jacking, etc.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:32 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Since you live in Chile and no 2009 Z06's were exported there, you first need to check where the car originated. Many, if not all, exports had 433 Mhz, while domestics had 315 Mhz.
Check the sticker for the codes on the glovebox door. Look for EXP, UL2, UK1, ZV6, BH4, or BAG. Any one of those will identify an export car. Some will identify the country or continent.

If you find none of those codes, it most likely was manufactured for US/Canada. The only way to absolutely be assured of the correct part number would be to remove one of the sensors.

BTW, other than the annoying DIC message and/or dash light, not having operating sensors won't stop you from driving the car.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
BTW, other than the annoying DIC message and/or dash light, not having operating sensors won't stop you from driving the car.
There is some variation for different years, but won't a lack of operating sensors eventually cause the TC/AH to become more aggressive, and prevent turning off TC/AH?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM
Onurb
Cruising

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Since you live in Chile and no 2009 Z06's were exported there, you first need to check where the car originated. Many, if not all, exports had 433 Mhz, while domestics had 315 Mhz.
Check the sticker for the codes on the glovebox door. Look for EXP, UL2, UK1, ZV6, BH4, or BAG. Any one of those will identify an export car. Some will identify the country or continent.

If you find none of those codes, it most likely was manufactured for US/Canada. The only way to absolutely be assured of the correct part number would be to remove one of the sensors.

Hi! Thanx for your info, I really appreciate it.
I haven't drive it today, I'm going to take a look at the codes before buy the sensors.

I know I can drive the car, but when cornering hard, AH comes in and brakes the outer front wheel, which is very annoying.

Once again, thanks to all who have posted to help me solve the <br >
<br

According to this? The car is US specs?

Last edited by Onurb; 06-25-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Another TPMS Problem...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another TPMS Problem...