C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for my first Corvette C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Mike Ritter
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for my first Corvette C6. Update: C5 Corvette

New member looking for tips on what to look for when buying my first Corvette. Have seen a couple of nice 2006 coupes and convertibles so far. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Update: Now looking at C5's instead of c6's. Cost is the reason.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Ritter; 06-28-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:12 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Do you know what you want? Vert vs coupe? Automatic vs manual? Do you plan to drive it daily, or just weekends? Do you plan to road race ever? Interested in a base, or do you want more beefy version like z06 or zr1? Have a budget?

Tips will come when we get an idea of what you're wanting from the car
The following users liked this post:
Mike Ritter (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:13 PM
TGR96
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in the same boat, Mike. I am a long time Mustang guy, but I'm thinking about getting in a C6 Vette, but really don't know much about them. Looking forward to seeing what advice the experts have to offer.

I'm personally looking at either C6 GS or C6Z, and right now I am leaning towards a GS, because I like the removable targa roof, the reliability, albeit less power, of the LS3 vs the LS7, and I like the GS wheels better LOL But right now, the good deals seem to be on the Z06's, at least in my area, so I am keeping my options open. I would not rule out a base C6 either, I just like the wide-body of the GS and Z06 so dang much.

Mine will be a DD, and will see autoX as well as HPDE events several times a year, but I am definitely not a full on track junkie. Plans are to keep it relatively stock, as I don't enjoy working on cars like I used to.

Last edited by TGR96; 06-24-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have a base 1LT model 2012 manual.

If I were to get another C6, I'd probably go older model to save a little coin. Maybe a 2008. I'm not worried about higher mileage. These cars are great with lots of miles on them still. Look the same too. Definitely stick to an LS3 vs LS2 IMO.

Love the targa top, love the shifter. Wish I had bought at least a 2LT to get the HUD. Also wish I had the grand sport for the wide body and awesome concave wheels that you can put on those.

My car was used and already had Billy Boat exhaust on it. While I love the sound, it's a daily driver and sometimes I just wish it wasn't there. Stock is very quiet till you stomp on it. Something to think about.

On the topic of mods...be prepared to have tons of options if you want to customize the car. It's expensive!

As an aside, everyone recommends to get a car as completely close to stock as possible with no mods. Get a carfax, have dealer run some history on it if possible.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigMonkey73:
Mike Ritter (06-24-2016), TGR96 (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Daniel Day
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TGR96
I am in the same boat, Mike. I am a long time Mustang guy, but I'm thinking about getting in a C6 Vette, but really don't know much about them. Looking forward to seeing what advice the experts have to offer.

I'm personally looking at either C6 GS or C6Z, and right now I am leaning towards a GS, because I like the removable targa roof, the reliability, albeit less power, of the LS3 vs the LS7, and I like the GS wheels better LOL But right now, the good deals seem to be on the Z06's, at least in my area, so I am keeping my options open. I would not rule out a base C6 either, I just like the wide-body of the GS and Z06 so dang much.

Mine will be a DD, and will see autoX as well as HPDE events several times a year, but I am definitely not a full on track junkie. Plans are to keep it relatively stock, as I don't enjoy working on cars like I used to.
Not to hijack the thread, but I know you from the S197forum! I have the same user name over there, although I haven't been active over there in quite a while. Welcome to the forum, lots of good(and helpful) guys over here. I just joined the Corvette club recently myself. I picked up a clean 08 base with all the mods I wanted already done.(H/C/I/LTs/X/exhaust) I really wanted a Z myself but they were still a little outta my price range and the deal I got on mine was too good to pass up. Good luck in your search, it's half the fun! I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:18 PM
Mike Ritter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
Do you know what you want? Vert vs coupe? Automatic vs manual? Do you plan to drive it daily, or just weekends? Do you plan to road race ever? Interested in a base, or do you want more beefy version like z06 or zr1? Have a budget?

Tips will come when we get an idea of what you're wanting from the car
Vert or coupe would work. Open to either.
Prefer automatic.
Weekend car.
No racing.
Base would be fine.
About 25K out the door budget.

Thanks for the tip. Mike
Old 06-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Mike Ritter
Intermediate

Good luck. Look forward to seeing what you get.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:25 PM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

What part of the USA are you located.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Mike Ritter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hawkandersonjr
What part of the USA are you located.
Southern California.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 PM
TGR96
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Day
Not to hijack the thread, but I know you from the S197forum! I have the same user name over there, although I haven't been active over there in quite a while. Welcome to the forum, lots of good(and helpful) guys over here. I just joined the Corvette club recently myself. I picked up a clean 08 base with all the mods I wanted already done.(H/C/I/LTs/X/exhaust) I really wanted a Z myself but they were still a little outta my price range and the deal I got on mine was too good to pass up. Good luck in your search, it's half the fun! I hope you find what you're looking for.
Hey Daniel! I do remember you from S197forum. You're the resident "walker," right? Our TWD insider? LOL

Thanks man. I have been searching the interwebz for a while now. I actually let a great deal on a 2010 GS get away from me. It was in Birmingham, and I just couldn't find the time to get down there before they sold it. I still need to de-mod my Mustang and sell it before I can get serious about a Vette. But I figured I'd keep an eye out to see what these cars are going for, and in the meantime, I'll lurk on the forum trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Originally Posted by Mike Ritter
Good luck. Look forward to seeing what you get.
Thanks!

Last edited by TGR96; 06-24-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:02 PM
Stig13
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Long time lurker, 1st time poster here. I've been creeping for about 6 months and plan to get a C6 by next summer...the pool and deck replacements have to come first. Anyway, I started with the same questions and very little Vette knowledge. Looking through posts - and a ton of them from this forum come up when doing a Google search - I've been able to narrow down to very few remaining decisions, all of which really need test drives to determine what I go with. Take advantage of the knowledge and experience here. Do a lot of searches on topics to help you narrow what you want. Just from lurking I can say the enthusiasts in this forum are outstanding (not to mention very amusing) as is the info that's already out there.

A big "thank you" from me to all of you in the C6 discussions who have helped this noob before I even signed up for an account on here. It's much appreciated and I can't wait to get into my Vette.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 PM
cart7381
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought and 07 last August I love it! But I was looking for an 08 or newer cause they have the ls3 engine. But the 07 had low miles, manual, and it's yellow which is what I wanted. I have had zero issues and the the big deciding factor is it fit my price range. But if you can snag an 08 or newer I would go for that.
Mike Ritter (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 08:27 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Great price just a little extra $

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=146833339

Last edited by enventr; 06-24-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Mike Ritter (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:03 AM
Daniel Day
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Hey Daniel! I do remember you from S197forum. You're the resident "walker," right? Our TWD insider? LOL

Thanks man.
Yep, that's me! (You have a good memory)
Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

When I was looking I only wanted 2008 or newer. Better engine, transmission, steering and interior. As a general rule always try to get the newest model you can afford. Good luck.
Mike Ritter (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 08:59 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Check list for shopping for a corvette from my observations reading posts here.
Check Harmonic crankshaft balancer for out of roundness and belt chirping noise.
Check for oil pan seeping issues, some seep but never leave a mark on the ground.
Pull the dip stick and note the color of the oil, as it should be light brown to a darker brown, but not gray, this could indicate metallic particles in the oil.
Check the radiator lower supports in the front as they can get damaged from close encounters with a curb and can break the welds loose.
Check for strong fuel odor around the left rear tire, as some have developed a fuel leak at the left side fuel tank and/or the fuel pump assembly.
While idling the car, there should not be unusual rattling noises coming from underneath the car, as toque tube bearings and couplers can be bad with higher mileage cars.
While driving and releasing the clutch, be sure that transition is smooth with not chattering.
Stock clutches can last over a 100k miles, provided the operators have not abused it up until then.
Car should road test without squeaks and rattles, as I find mine as very quite, only issue is the that targa tops can creak and is usually a easy fix.
Also the end links have been know to clunk over bumps, but another easy fix
Rear diff have been know to make chattering noises when turning sharply, but usually a gear oil change with the correct oil can solve this issue.
Axle nuts sometimes will become loose and can create creaking noise in the rear end, another easy fix.
Make sure that the ac and heat work and come out the correct vent when going through the operations of the controls. The bellows in the dash can go bad, and this is a rough job to do and expensive if done at the dealership.
Obviously the trans should shift smoothly, but while cold, they can be notchy but should shift better within 10 to 15 miles or so. Check the operation in going into reverse, as there is a synchronize that have given issues recently reported.
The first year 2005's do have a weaker rear end diff, and was updated with the next year models.
If you don't plan to mod the car, this is not really a issue though.
Good luck with you search..
The following 2 users liked this post by extrapilot:
BigMonkey73 (06-28-2016), Mike Ritter (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:48 AM
Mike Ritter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enventr
Looks great but a bit out of my range. Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for my first Corvette C6

Old 06-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have a place that sells lots of Vettes, then go over there and look around. It pays to get educated on the differences between the years and models, that way you can be much more comfortable with your final buying decision. I always hate to buy something and then see a 'better' version shortly thereafter that I could have bought for almost the same amount of money.

Another thing that I always keep in mind when looking for used vehicles is resale value. When I buy a used Vette I am looking for two things - condition and mileage. I want one that has been garage-kept, and I want low miles. Then I keep it mint, and when I go to sell it, it is gone right away because that's the kind of Vette that everyone wants... low miles, mint condition.

I would say to NOT be in a big hurry. Assuming you're a qualified buyer with cash in hand, that puts YOU in the driver seat when shopping for car. Take your time and drive a few. You will notice subtle differences that may make certain cars more enjoyable. For example, a Z06 may ride too hard, but you may be willing to trade that off for the extra power (I wasn't, haha).

If it was me, I'd opt for at least '08 or newer to get the LS3, but that's just me.

Like I say, take your time, shop hard, keep good notes and pics as you shop. If you miss a 'good deal', don't sweat it, there's other good deals to be had.

Good luck!
Mike Ritter (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 01:40 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ritter
Looks great but a bit out of my range. Mike
I have seen a 2006 verts for 26500 and some 27500. If you can borrow the extra money for this 2013 I would certainly consider it. 3LT with Nav.
Of course it would have to be checked out. This probably won't last at this price. If I didn't buy my 07
Some months ago I would have jumped on it
Old 06-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Mike Ritter
Intermediate

Looked at my first two corvettes this weekend. A silver 06 convertible and a silver 08 coupe. Both were pretty nice.

The 2006 had polished wheels and the 2008 had chrome wheels. Were the 2008 wheels an option or were they done aftermarket? Just curious.

Mike

Quick Reply: Looking for my first Corvette C6