C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer ringing noise on startup - cause?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 02:24 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Harmonic balancer ringing noise on startup - cause?

I know it's cuz it's a POS GM balancer and many of them eventually fail by the outer ring slipping at the bond with the inner hub.

But I'm curious as to what specifically makes the ringing noise on cold startup. Is it a slight belt misalignment? There is no visible wobble (well, at least to my crappy 58 y.o. Eyes) and the noise goes away after about 10 seconds...............
Old 07-09-2016, 03:08 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If you don't have a noticable amount of wobble and your getting noise , it's probably one of 3 pulleys on the motor that is in need of grease...I had a squeal at startup that lasted about a minite or less and it turned out to be the top idler pulley was void of grease..Repacked the bearings and the noise was gone...Get a stethoscope and see if you can't pinpoint the pulley that's making the noise..WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-10-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:59 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I know it's cuz it's a POS GM balancer and many of them eventually fail by the outer ring slipping at the bond with the inner hub.

But I'm curious as to what specifically makes the ringing noise on cold startup. Is it a slight belt misalignment? There is no visible wobble (well, at least to my crappy 58 y.o. Eyes) and the noise goes away after about 10 seconds...............
very few of them failed for that reason and was pretty much 2005 only, the majority of the rest of them where changed by owners listening to other owners who didn't have a clue as to what a HB does or how it operates, a stock HB on ANY makes of car DOES NOT run straight and true and only looks worse over time, ATI became millionaires off the uninformed
Old 07-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
very few of them failed for that reason and was pretty much 2005 only, the majority of the rest of them where changed by owners listening to other owners who didn't have a clue as to what a HB does or how it operates, a stock HB on ANY makes of car DOES NOT run straight and true and only looks worse over time, ATI became millionaires off the uninformed
Really , you going to tell me my 2011 did not have a bad balancer ... it was wobbling so bad that when the service writer looked at it his exact words were " boy that's not good"

And where do you get off saying any make does not run true , I have had may cars and boats from small blocks to twin supercharged fat blocks and I never , never saw a harmonic balancer on any of them wobble

Yet in my two years in the corvette comunity I have seen more bad harmonic balancers than in my whole automotive career

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-09-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:50 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by WW7
If you don't have a noticable amount of wobble and your getting noise , it's probably one of the 3 pulleys on the motor that is in need of grease...I had a squeal at startup that lasted about a minite or less and it turned out to be the top idler pulley was void of grease..Repacked the bearings and the noise was gone...Get a stethoscope and see if you can't pinpoint the pulley that's making the noise..WW
Thanks WW. How did you pack the bearings? Are they serviceable?

Last edited by need-for-speed; 07-09-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:00 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Really , you going to tell me my 2011 did not have a bad balancer ... it was wobbling so bad that when the service writer looked at it his exact words were " boy that's not good"

And where do you get off saying any make does not run true , I have had may cars and boats from small blocks to twin supercharged fat blocks and I never , never saw a harmonic balancer on any of them wobble

Yet in my two years in the corvette comunity I have seen more bad harmonic balancers than in my whole automotive career

Dave
I think it's unacceptable to have such a design. However, I wonder how many people know that it's nothing new. Even with old school SBC (and the keyed crank & balancer) it was not uncommon to have the balancer separate. The outer disk moves toward the engine and eventually cuts into the timing chain cover. I've replaced many of them.

The only difference is that we didn't have the internet so everyone thought theirs was a unique failure.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I think it's unacceptable to have such a design. However, I wonder how many people know that it's nothing new. Even with old school SBC (and the keyed crank & balancer) it was not uncommon to have the balancer separate. The outer disk moves toward the engine and eventually cuts into the timing chain cover. I've replaced many of them.

The only difference is that we didn't have the internet so everyone thought theirs was a unique failure.

Yes I agree I have seen them come apart at the track. but the failures were few and far between and we spent a lot of years at the track
But the design on the LS motors is by far the worse ......

And you are right , the Internet helps .....
The following users liked this post:
need-for-speed (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 10:02 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Old 07-09-2016, 10:06 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

people are so far out to lunch on this, how many c6 s were sold ? how many had a make believe bad balancer ? 1 % maybe. people have one issue and it is the end of the world, between this balancer and the 427 s valves, unbelievable. some folks will fall for anything, oh i need a new balacner it will destroy my engine, lol.. too funny
Old 07-09-2016, 10:07 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

why would you buy a car that is made with a pos then ? you better stick to Prius.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:36 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by walleyejack
why would you buy a car that is made with a pos then ? you better stick to Prius.
GFY SFB puzzy.

I've been driving and building hi performance Chevrolets since you were shytting in your pants vagina boi.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Thanks WW. How did you pack the bearings? Are they serviceable?
Yes, they can all be repacked with a high speed high temp grease.. The 3 pulleys I repacked were the top idler pulley, the AC idler pully, and the small metel covered drum pulley next to the crank pulley...On all three of these you can pull the side covers off to get to the bearings.. I use a small pick tool to get the side covers off..Then you just flush them with brake cleaner , let them dry or blow them dry with compressed air, then repack them with grease and reinstall the side covers...You can get these pulleys new ,but as long as the bearings are ok repacking them is fine......WW
Old 07-10-2016, 08:16 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Yes, they can all be repacked with a high speed high temp grease.. The 3 pulleys I repacked were the top idler pulley, the AC idler pully, and the small metel covered drum pulley next to the crank pulley...On all three of these you can pull the side covers off to get to the bearings.. I use a small pick tool to get the side covers off..Then you just flush them with brake cleaner , let them dry or blow them dry with compressed air, then repack them with grease and reinstall the side covers...You can get these pulleys new ,but as long as the bearings are ok repacking them is fine......WW
Agree - I've done the same on several cars. Easier and faster than replacing.

At the risk of starting another whacky 136 post thread on "planned obsolescence", these bearings are woefully under lubed in manufacturing.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 07-10-2016 at 08:16 AM.
WW7 (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

If you don't think it's the pulley bearings causing the noise, you can try installing a Gatorback serpentine belt instead of the stock belt..These belts have solved quite a few high pitched squeals in these cars when the owners can't get anything else to work...WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-10-2016 at 12:03 PM.
need-for-speed (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 08:51 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The ringing noise might be the idler pulley, I'd have it checked. Usually the tell tale sign of the balancer going is belt chirp and a very noticeable wobble on the harmonic balancer.
need-for-speed (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

GFY SFB puzzy.

I've been driving and building hi performance Chevrolets since you were shytting in your pants vagina boi.
But a genius like yourself, that has suppossedly building high-performance Chevrolets for a couple of years would know what the ringing noise is. Actually that ringing noise is between your ears probably
Old 07-10-2016, 09:53 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Why would it be 2005 only when the same part was used throughout the entire C6 run? You're confusing this with the problem the few 05's had with the crank bolt coming loose. Two separate issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer ringing noise on startup - cause?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

The latest issue of Corvette Magazine has an article about buying C6s and the common problems to look for.

There was no mention of harmonic balancers.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
The latest issue of Corvette Magazine has an article about buying C6s and the common problems to look for.

There was no mention of harmonic balancers.
Well there should have been. It is not an imaginary issue.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

HUH...well we'll pawn this one off as just a bad night. Just to be sure that we all have a "clue". Most balancers run straight and true on most vehicles. Now of course straight and true is relative. Straight and true means that the balancer has no concern able wobble. You could pop the hood on thousands of different cars and the balancer will have no concern able wobble. You pop the hood on thousands of C-6 Corvettes, and the chances are there WILL be a concern able wobble on some/maybe most of them. So to suggest that anyone who got a new balancer cause theirs had a significant wobble is "Clueless".....well thats just "Clueless"......

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer ringing noise on startup - cause?