C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Remove Key From 2009 Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default How to Remove Key From 2009 Fob?

You'd think that after owning our 2009 for seven years, I would know how to remove the key from the fob.

You'd think that after being a member here for fifteen years, I would be able to find the answer using Advanced Search.

You'd be wrong.

Our previous 2006 had the separate key and that worked fine.
When we got the 2009, I tried to release the key by pressing the side tab (both fobs), but I could never get it to release. So one day I pressed as hard as I could on the tab, pulled hard on the key, and immediately destroyed the little latch mechanism which holds the key in place. I bought a Fob Jacket to hold everything together and went on with my life. I told my wife that if she ever needed her key, just pry it out with a screwdriver and don't worry about the damage. Fortunately, she's never need it.

I'm getting toward the end of my extended warranty, the dealer replaced my fob and reprogrammed them all at no cost to me. Great.

But once again, I have two fobs and can't get the key out of either one. I've tried pushing the tab from different directions and toward different directions, no help. I've also tried pushing and and/or twisting the key while pushing on the tab, again no help.

Can anyone tell me how to get the key out of this piece of crap without breaking something???

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:23 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't try to twist the key. It is hard just push the small tab as you push slightly down on the top of the key. It will release. If you break the small tab its $150.00 for a new fob if you can find one plus programming. If you think you will need the key take the fob apart carefully and go down to the hardware store and have the key duplicated. There are several blanks that will work. Just keep this key in your wallet or tape it under the car in case you need it to get in in an emergency. There are several secure locations.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Since you'd be prone to break it again, just take it back to the dealer and let them pull it out. Then take it and get spare keys cut to carry in your wallet and the wife's purse. No sense in fighting it.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

VICTORY !

I used HOXXOH's suggestion and went back to the dealer. Nobody had any great ideas, so the Service Manager, who looks like he could lift a Corvette with one hand, tried and couldn't do it. But he noticed my wife's fob has a key ring and that gave him enough additional grip to (barely) get the key out. Putting a ring into my new fob allowed us to get that one out also.

At home, I discovered the silver base of the key has a groove on one side, that engages the latch inside the fob. A small dab of dielectric silicone grease on both sides of the tab made extraction a little easier. I still need the ring for extra grip, but don't feel like I'm destroying the fob with brute force.

Thanks!

EDIT-
Years ago I tried to find a blank to duplicate the in-fob key, which is different from the separate key on the old fobs. Couldn't find one anywhere except a locksmith who made a "duplicate" that wouldn't even fit into the trunk lock (the originals fit and work perfectly). I gave up and got just a blank key from a sponsoring dealer, the local dealer cut it for free. It's an awkward shape/weight to keep in my pocket, and then the interior of my fob would fill up with dust bunnies.
So I now have the key inside my fob, the extra key hidden deeply outside the car, and a third fob wrapped in aluminum foil that's hidden deeply inside the car. Therefore, Murphy says I'll never need any of them.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 07-12-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The latch is made of cheap pot metal and is ripe for the breaking. A bit of careful use of a fine file on the latch can make it easier to remove the key, but overall the design is just not great.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 904 Likes on 588 Posts

Mine come right out easy as pie. Did something change on the '13s?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You already mentioned it, but I was going to suggest placing a bit of dielectric grease on the lock mechanism, then go through a dozen cycles, and it seems to release more easily. Perhaps an overlooked area of maintenance that we should all take a look at from time to time.

I also have a medium sized ring on the silver key, and my finger fits in the ring. Left Thumb on the release button, Right index finger in the ring, Push, then pull, works reasonably well every time.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by cclive
The latch is made of cheap pot metal and is ripe for the breaking. A bit of careful use of a fine file on the latch can make it easier to remove the key, but overall the design is just not great.
On mine, I broke either the little latch inside the fob which is spring steel or the plastic that holds the latch in place. Fob was retained by the dealer for warranty, so I can't inspect it now. Either way, your suggestion to file the female side of the latch on the key itself sounds good.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Either something changed, or you should buy a lottery ticket.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
You'd think that after owning our 2009 for seven years, I would know how to remove the key from the fob.

You'd think that after being a member here for fifteen years, I would be able to find the answer using Advanced Search.

You'd be wrong.

Our previous 2006 had the separate key and that worked fine.
When we got the 2009, I tried to release the key by pressing the side tab (both fobs), but I could never get it to release. So one day I pressed as hard as I could on the tab, pulled hard on the key, and immediately destroyed the little latch mechanism which holds the key in place. I bought a Fob Jacket to hold everything together and went on with my life. I told my wife that if she ever needed her key, just pry it out with a screwdriver and don't worry about the damage. Fortunately, she's never need it.

I'm getting toward the end of my extended warranty, the dealer replaced my fob and reprogrammed them all at no cost to me. Great.

But once again, I have two fobs and can't get the key out of either one. I've tried pushing the tab from different directions and toward different directions, no help. I've also tried pushing and and/or twisting the key while pushing on the tab, again no help.

Can anyone tell me how to get the key out of this piece of crap without breaking something???

Thanks!
I broke both fobs the first time I was replacing the battery's.No way in hell I will pay $150.00 for a new one,when a small strip of black duck tape will solve the problem.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
On mine, I broke either the little latch inside the fob which is spring steel or the plastic that holds the latch in place. Fob was retained by the dealer for warranty, so I can't inspect it now. Either way, your suggestion to file the female side of the latch on the key itself sounds good.
The fob construction reminds me a little of the construction of the glovebox latch...
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by cclive
The fob construction reminds me a little of the construction of the glovebox latch...
And the visor mirror.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
And the visor mirror.
So true!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I broke both fobs the first time I was replacing the battery's.No way in hell I will pay $150.00 for a new one,when a small strip of black duck tape will solve the problem.
I did too and use the same solution. First time, I used electrical tape but it stretches and the two halves of the fob will pop open. Need some tape that doesn't stretch, hence another use for duct tape.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I did too and use the same solution. First time, I used electrical tape but it stretches and the two halves of the fob will pop open. Need some tape that doesn't stretch, hence another use for duct tape.
Duct tape comes in colors, now.

But back to the subject, I thought I lost my 2009 fob in late 2013, and replaced it. On the new fob, it was much easier to remove the key than the 2009 fob. My guess is that they realized it was an issue and did some fiddling to make it easier.

A few months later, I traded in the car for a Stingray, and those fobs are very easy to separate from the key. So much so there are threads on the C7 forum which are the exact opposite of this thread where fobs just disappear off the key.

TPTB do listen, evidently.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:53 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,342 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
No, nothing changed for '13. My key is difficult to remove from the fob. In fact, I visited the dealer and once the advisor showed me that you really have to push down on the tab and really pull on the key it worked. But it is difficult. My wife's Elantra fob has a push button that easily releases the key. The two halves on her fob are easily separated too. The GM Corvette fob is obviously from the lowest-bidder and operates as such. Glad to hear the C7 fob is improved.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:20 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Search "Black metallic paint key fob case" on eBay. I got two for about 12 bucks apiece; I see some now for under 10. Transfer the innards from the old one, and you're good to go. Cadillac XLR and CTS four button shells will also work.

Last edited by SouthBaySurfer; 07-15-2016 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (07-15-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To How to Remove Key From 2009 Fob?

Quick Reply: How to Remove Key From 2009 Fob?