C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-6 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:59 PM
my2010vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-6 Grand Sport

Is the hood air scoop and side vents functional or fake? I know they are real on the Z06's...........
Old 07-13-2016, 05:07 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

The front bumper scoop is functional on the Z06...and I'd say the same design follows the GS.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tions-faq.html

As to how much air goes through it...Jim Hall explains this very well, but make no mistake...it is there for a reason.
Originally Posted by Halltech
If you have a C6 Z06, you have cold air already. In fact, our testing shows that the amount of forced air that is directed into the AIS hooded shroud requires that the gasket sealing it to the front bumper NOT be removed. When the gasket is removed, the forced air actually causes severe turbulence at the mouth of the Donaldson PowerCore filter, which promotes severe bucking and surging at very low throttle postitions, especially in fifth and sixth gear.

If you take a trouble light and put it on the end of the AIS, partially close the hood, then shut off the lights in your shop, you can see the light coming through the NACA duct on the front fascia.

IT WORKS.

The methodology here was to provide extreme volumes of forced air into the AIS vestibule, but not directly into the filter itself. The hooded shroud around the AIS protects the filter from airflow turbulence and water. When airflow comes in the NACA ducting it flows over the hooded shroud and is then pulled up into the filter itself.

We are testing a High Flow version of this filter and will have one ready for the market in about 2 months when our testing is finished. We now have two full months of testing and have come to the conclusion that GM's stock AIS is a winner. It outflows our C6 Stinger SSM by 4%, but that is when compared to the intregal C6 screened MAF sensor vs. the Hitachi Probe MAF sensor.

The new Hitachi Probe MAF sensor is sooooooo sensitive to turbulence, that GM had to work on the MAF location, calibration, and filter design for months before getting it all right.

I have not tested the bottom breathers yet, but it will be a challenge to get them to work in this application.

There is no sales pitch here, since we are not considering using the Stinger on the Z06, when their present design mandates a complete re-engineering of our efforts.

More information: http://www.corvettels7.com/products/intake_systems.html

Jim

Last edited by LFZ; 07-13-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM
my2010vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are the side brake vents functional or fake?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by my08vet
So are the side brake vents functional or fake?
Functional, along with the front brake scoops.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:14 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by my08vet
Is the hood air scoop and side vents functional or fake? I know they are real on the Z06's...........
All vents on the GS are functional, including the hood scoop on the front fascia. The largest scoop/gill difference between the Z06 and GS is on the front fenders. In the Z06 the fender is completely open while on a GS there are two square cutouts deep inside the gill.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:22 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
The largest scoop/gill difference between the Z06 and GS is on the front fenders. In the Z06 the fender is completely open while on a GS there are two square cutouts deep inside the gill.
This is good to know. I'm working on heat control within the engine bay on my GS and noticed that the fender-liners had the little rectangles cut out. That left me wondering why, but that also brought up the idea of trimming them out. Would there be any adverse effects to simply dremeling them open more, or would it be safer to simply buy the Z06 fender liners?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:00 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
This is good to know. I'm working on heat control within the engine bay on my GS and noticed that the fender-liners had the little rectangles cut out. That left me wondering why, but that also brought up the idea of trimming them out. Would there be any adverse effects to simply dremeling them open more, or would it be safer to simply buy the Z06 fender liners?
If the Z06 fender line are cost effective I would try those first. Let me know if you experience any noticeable change in front end aero at high speeds (+120MPH).

Also what heating issues are you having with your car?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by truth.b
If the Z06 fender line are cost effective I would try those first. Let me know if you experience any noticeable change in front end aero at high speeds (+120MPH).

Also what heating issues are you having with your car?
Texas heat and track season. 'Nuff said. Haha

As it turns out, Fender liners will not be needed. I was examining underneath my fenders today and discovered that the block off as nothing more than a bolted in plastic piece that appears easily removed in the picture.

Last edited by R_W; 07-27-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

And removed.

Get notified of new replies

To C-6 Grand Sport

Quick Reply: C-6 Grand Sport