C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Corvette Clutch Sticking to Floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Faiz Chaudhry
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Corvette Clutch Sticking to Floor

I have got a 2005 Corvette with z51 package
New to vette have had the car only for few months. Bought it when it had 23k miles on it and now it has 23.6

tried emptying out reservoir and putting fresh fluid in with the rover method to no avail.

Clutch can be pulled up manually but once pressed stays down. Took it to local mechanic and they think its the slave cylinder and of course won't know for sure till they open up the transmission.

Drive it occasionally, mostly hwy. I do get excited with the car on hwy mostly 3rd to 6th gear as far as putting pedal to the metal.

right now it has stock clutch as far as i know but since the transmission is gonna be option anyway should i invest in something little better than stock on clutch or leave it be . budget on parts is around $600
Old 07-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes invest in a better clutch at minimum a LS7 clutch. Be sure to purchase a billet bearing release for your slave cylinder. These are a good investment when changing out your clutch, the OEM bearing release is cheap plastic and can metal at any given time Monster Clutch sells them also Brian Tooley has one for sale. Your $600 budget is slim not sure if your doing your own work or not? But a new slave is $230 then a billet bearing release is $79, then if you looked into getting a new clutch they range from $550 for a LS7 clutch to $1500 for a good twin disc. The labor will be close to $1000 if you have a reputable shop do the work, just something to think about my friend.
The following users liked this post:
Faiz Chaudhry (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Faiz Chaudhry
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Yes invest in a better clutch at minimum a LS7 clutch. Be sure to purchase a billet bearing release for your slave cylinder. These are a good investment when changing out your clutch, the OEM bearing release is cheap plastic and can metal at any given time Monster Clutch sells them also Brian Tooley has one for sale. Your $600 budget is slim not sure if your doing your own work or not? But a new slave is $230 then a billet bearing release is $79, then if you looked into getting a new clutch they range from $550 for a LS7 clutch to $1500 for a good twin disc. The labor will be close to $1000 if you have a reputable shop do the work, just something to think about my friend.
thanks for you help.
600ish is for clutch alone. Can put in few 100 more if need be.

and for bearing release are you talking about this?

http://monsterclutches.com/c6-corvet...earing-support

Last edited by Faiz Chaudhry; 07-21-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Faiz Chaudhry
6th Gear

what about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTR-STAGE-2-...xSJ3br&vxp=mtr
Old 07-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Faiz Chaudhry
thanks for you help.
600ish is for clutch alone. Can put in few 100 more if need be.

and for bearing release are you talking about this?

http://monsterclutches.com/c6-corvet...earing-support
Yep that's the bearing release support I was recommending. Other clutches to consider is a Stage one Diamond brand clutch (popular over with the LS1tech guys), ACT stage one and Mantic single disc dual friction. Check those options out, and make sure you resurface or get a new flywheel.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Faiz Chaudhry
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Yep that's the bearing release support I was recommending. Other clutches to consider is a Stage one Diamond brand clutch (popular over with the LS1tech guys), ACT stage one and Mantic single disc dual friction. Check those options out, and make sure you resurface or get a new flywheel.
http://www.diamondclutch.com/index.p...-comp-kit.html
so go for this with the bearing release and i should be set for couple of years ???? thanks again for your help

why not stage 2 since its only few dollars more?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Faiz, this issue is very common and is usually the clutch Master Cylinder. GM sent out a letter saying it's a know issue and they will fix it for free. Might want to check that out!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Faiz Chaudhry
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Faiz, this issue is very common and is usually the clutch Master Cylinder. GM sent out a letter saying it's a know issue and they will fix it for free. Might want to check that out!
even for a 2005 model. ill check with them with my vin i guess
Old 07-21-2016, 11:40 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The reason for this is the fluid boils and the clutch sticks to the floor. GM IS AWARE OF THE ISSUE and they put out a bulletin or something years ago on it. I forget what they recommended. If you don't try to burn rubber this should not happen because the fluid won't get hot enough. If you search this forum for info there will be lots of if. Probably up in the faq section would be a good place to start. Don't go replacing your clutch just yet, it may not need it.and yes, I had an 05 from new for 2 and a half years and this happened once or twice.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 07-21-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There might be an year cut-off point, not sure... you should call a couple dealerships, talk to the service managers and see if they can help you. If not, do some searches on how to repair the clutch Master Cylinder yourself. There's been lots of threads about this...
Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

As others mentioned, it could be your clutch master cylinder which is less expensive to repair than a new slave cylinder because the slave is more evasive procedure.

Problems people were having is the clutch would go to the floor and not return. Apparently, the seal in the clutch master cylinder failed. GM designed a new and improve clutch master cylinder as a replacement. The new master cylinder requires Dot 4 clutch/brake fluid which has a higher boiling point. I just had this done on my 08.

If you have to replace the slave cylinder you might consider replacing the clutch. The LS3/7 clutch works fine. If you get into higher horsepower, then twin disc set up is preferred.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-21-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:50 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Faiz Chaudhry
I have got a 2005 Corvette with z51 package
New to vette have had the car only for few months. Bought it when it had 23k miles on it and now it has 23.6

tried emptying out reservoir and putting fresh fluid in with the rover method to no avail.

Clutch can be pulled up manually but once pressed stays down. Took it to local mechanic and they think its the slave cylinder and of course won't know for sure till they open up the transmission.

Drive it occasionally, mostly hwy. I do get excited with the car on hwy mostly 3rd to 6th gear as far as putting pedal to the metal.

right now it has stock clutch as far as i know but since the transmission is gonna be option anyway should i invest in something little better than stock on clutch or leave it be . budget on parts is around $600
That's "Ranger method"

"Rover method" sounds like something that wouldn't involve a car, hopefully.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Faiz Chaudhry
6th Gear

Originally Posted by v26278
That's "Ranger method"

"Rover method" sounds like something that wouldn't involve a car, hopefully.
Had range rover so i am guessing i might have switched wording from what i read/saw to what i wrote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:39 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

There is also a clutch helper spring that could break and may result in what you are experiencing.
It's attached to the arm of the clutch pedal up high under the dash.
Attached Images  

Last edited by extrapilot; 07-21-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Faiz Chaudhry (07-22-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Corvette Clutch Sticking to Floor

Quick Reply: 2005 Corvette Clutch Sticking to Floor