C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone dealt with CarMax?

Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Buying a car at Car Max is just like buying a shirt at Macy's, the price is the price and that's what you pay.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

My only contact with CarMax was when I took my '13 Nissan Altima SL for an appraisal. They lowballed the crap out of the appraisal of a car with under 10K miles on the clock and a year of remaining warranty. While I was waiting or my appraisal I took a look at a newer Mustang convertible and was gob smacked by the "no haggle" price on the car. I later went on line at kbb.com and found that their no haggle price was well above the Blue Book valuation for the car, considering the actual mileage. Go figger.

Last edited by RagTop69; 08-08-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:21 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
Just had an appraisal done by them on my C6.... Came in about $2,000 lower than NADA trade in values and $5,000 lower than KBB trade in values..... Granted this was just to sell rather than trade on one of their existing cars.... Not sure if that made any difference or not with them.

Tyler
You can bet your butt they would have put your car on their lot asking top dollar retail at their "no haggle" price. Why is everyone so shy about, or put off with, a little haggling? It provides some recreation.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Even though the price of my 05 was $2K below KBB at Carmax I tried to haggle them down some more. Didn't work but I'm happy anyway.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I bought my C6 from CarMax. This was the second car that I've bought from them. Both experience was fantastic. They did not waste my time at all. The Vette was across the state and they delivered to the dealer that was close to my house. Excellent experience.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Fellas...I got my 2008 black 1LT z51 optioned piece at Carmax in Tampa. Car was located in Miami and sent north per my dime. I purchased Jan 2010 at Carmax in Tampa with ~6900 on the clock. So far, almost no reliability issues. Damn this car has done me right.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
Just had an appraisal done by them on my C6.... Came in about $2,000 lower than NADA trade in values and $5,000 lower than KBB trade in values..... Granted this was just to sell rather than trade on one of their existing cars.... Not sure if that made any difference or not with them.

Tyler
Sure, but go get a trade in value at a Chevy dealership. My experience with carmax and trade in's is that they are always a few thousand higher. When I went to trade in my XJ for an A7, the Audi dealer told me to go to carmax for a higher trade value. He was right. And I've done that now each time.

I first go to carmax for the appraisal and 7 day price lock. I then go to the dealer where I plan to purchase the car from. I have them provide me with a trade value, carmax wins everytime. I then close the deal on the new car and go to carmax and sell them my old car.

I like this approach because I am now only negotiating on the new car versus them playing games on lowering the value of the trade due to the good deal negotiated on the new car. YMMV.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

It also depends on the sales rep too. **** wanted to close the deal asap. I had the vette shipped for $600. CarMax closes at 6pm and he called me at 3pm. He had the nerve to say to me that if i didn't buy the vette right now, it may not be there tomorrow. That pissed me off even though I wanted the vette. So I rushed to my bank and back to close the deal. Honestly, it was worth the headache. Off the lot, 2008 A6 JSB 3LT Z51 NPP with 4,952 miles for $34K
Old 08-09-2016, 08:44 AM
johan gouws
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer used as opposed to buying new (that initial depreciation just sucks!) and have bought several used cars from various dealers. My Carmax experience was one of the best but the price was firm. What did bother was the extended warranty I got for 36 months. The Carmax service center did not deliver and next time I will probably opt out on the warranty.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM
zer0t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

If I ever bought an aftermarket warranty it would be from Fidelity. They cover my V10 Volkswagen Touareg and they've been fantastic. I go to the dealer and pay 50 bucks per visit. If you know anything about the V10 SUVS is that the engine comes out for everything (2400 in labor)--so it's well paid for itself.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Red Tabby
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like others, I also had a good experience at Carmax.

I was shopping for my first Corvette and knew what I wanted. I finally found that car at a Carmax in Laurel, MD, about 2 hours from my home. I called one evening, spoke to a very nice salesperson who answered my questions about its condition. Told him what day and time we'd be down to see it. We arrived and saw the car - exactly as described and it even had a sold sign on it with my name, just to hold it for me.

There was no haggling at all. The car may have been priced a little higher (maybe 1K) than it should have been, but I found exactly what I wanted so I didn't mind too much.

The only negative thing about Carmax was the front license plate. The car was in PA before Carmax got it and PA does not have a front plate requirement. They stuck a black frame onto the front bumper with that double sided tape stuff, but screwed on the Carmax plate to the frame. The one screw was too long and put a very small hole in the bumper. I didn't find that until a few days later when I removed the frame.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought my 2008 vette from Carmax in Dec of 08 and it was the easiest car purchase I ever made AND the price kicked butt! Car was only 6 months old. Previous owner had it for 3 months. MSRP 65K. I got it for $37,600 3200 miles. No real issues since the day I took it home.

Yes, that was when the economy was starting to tank but they had other vettes on there site for way much more with less options. I have a 3LT ect... fully loaded. I was skeptical and told the sales person that this better not be a bait and switch. It wasn't. He held the car for me and it took an hour to get the paperwork done. He believed CarMax must have gotten a very good price on a trade in or something. They mark up the cars for a certain percentage of what they pay for them period.

I would absolutely buy from Carmax again.

Last edited by Wildmanht; 08-09-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't even need to read this thread. Carmax is not for the educated man. They sell cars for thousands over actual value and low ball every single trade through the door. The no haggle pricing is just so you cant argue. I was going to buy a GTO not too long ago and had a salesman explain it clearly (yes,after he knew I wasn't going to bend over). I would never deal with them. Good luck to anyone who does. You've got to be pretty desperate to pay buy here pay here prices with good credit that will still get you a middle of the road APR because you'll be so upside down right from day 1.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
I don't even need to read this thread. Carmax is not for the educated man. They sell cars for thousands over actual value and low ball every single trade through the door. The no haggle pricing is just so you cant argue. I was going to buy a GTO not too long ago and had a salesman explain it clearly (yes,after he knew I wasn't going to bend over). I would never deal with them. Good luck to anyone who does. You've got to be pretty desperate to pay buy here pay here prices with good credit that will still get you a middle of the road APR because you'll be so upside down right from day 1.
Your experience is diametrically opposed to mine and most of my car-buying friends & family.

I've bought a lot of cars. While I don't *always* buy at Carmax, they are always 1st on my list to shop/check.

Compared to my local franchised dealerships here in Las Vegas:

*CarMax cash offers are almost always higher than the dealer's ACV price (many salespeople suggest selling there instead of trading-in after I show them the written cash offer -- they just can't match it);

*CarMax prices have been in line with the dealerships used inventory.

As much as I enjoy it, 'haggling' isn't strictly necessary when the cost out of my pocket is better than the alternatives. And it's the final cost that matters to me, not that I had to show my prowess by going through gymnastics to get there.

Not sure how that makes me "uneducated" but the numbers *usually* work in my favor to shop CarMax.

EDITED TO ADD: Almost all of my used car purchases have been specialty or performance cars, where there may be few matching vehicles available in the entire valley. My experience may not be the same if I had been dealing with commodity cars like Malibus, Pickups, minivans, etc., where every dealer has a dozen examples on their lot, and thus are overly eager to move them.

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-10-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zer0t
I saw a car that they had for sale that I liked but have never used them before. Is their nomhaggle pricing really the bottom line or is it worth making an offfer? To be honest it's a price I would pay but I though less is always better.
I purchased a Corvette from them back in 2011 it was a 07 3LT. The price of the car is the price you will pay. The transaction was seamless and they even transferred the car for free because there was one closer to my home and the one I test drove the car at was about an hour and half away.

My only issue wit Carmax and it's partly my fault but I made the mistake and trusted their multi-point inspection and free car-fax. Everything checked out clean but I noticed a little while after purchased the car and detailing it there appeared to be paint dry spots showing the car had been painted for some reason. The car-fax they supplied was clean no incidents however, I found out that the vehicle was in fact involved in an accident and had the left front and rear panels replaced. I say it's my fault because I should have researched the car better but the price was in my range and that was my basis and it drove great.

Eventually I traded it in for a 13 GS a little over a year ago

My advice don't trust their car-fax check it out on your own. Good Luck
Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red Tabby
Like others, I also had a good experience at Carmax.

I was shopping for my first Corvette and knew what I wanted. I finally found that car at a Carmax in Laurel, MD, about 2 hours from my home. I called one evening, spoke to a very nice salesperson who answered my questions about its condition. Told him what day and time we'd be down to see it. We arrived and saw the car - exactly as described and it even had a sold sign on it with my name, just to hold it for me.

There was no haggling at all. The car may have been priced a little higher (maybe 1K) than it should have been, but I found exactly what I wanted so I didn't mind too much.

The only negative thing about Carmax was the front license plate. The car was in PA before Carmax got it and PA does not have a front plate requirement. They stuck a black frame onto the front bumper with that double sided tape stuff, but screwed on the Carmax plate to the frame. The one screw was too long and put a very small hole in the bumper. I didn't find that until a few days later when I removed the frame.
They did worst on my first one out of Laurel they drilled the plate directly into the front bumper didn't even try to put a bracket on. Not to mention they drilled in the screws slanted I contemplated replacing the bumper eventually traded the car in for a GS.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:53 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,407 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Get_UmJ13
Good advice in general. Never trust Carfax, they just don't get all the stuff all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone dealt with CarMax?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:54 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_UmJ13
I purchased a Corvette from them back in 2011 it was a 07 3LT. The price of the car is the price you will pay. The transaction was seamless and they even transferred the car for free because there was one closer to my home and the one I test drove the car at was about an hour and half away.

My only issue wit Carmax and it's partly my fault but I made the mistake and trusted their multi-point inspection and free car-fax. Everything checked out clean but I noticed a little while after purchased the car and detailing it there appeared to be paint dry spots showing the car had been painted for some reason. The car-fax they supplied was clean no incidents however, I found out that the vehicle was in fact involved in an accident and had the left front and rear panels replaced. I say it's my fault because I should have researched the car better but the price was in my range and that was my basis and it drove great.

Eventually I traded it in for a 13 GS a little over a year ago

if the owner paid for the repairs out of pocket it probably was never reported. did you happen to run another car fax on it after your discovery?
Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Good advice in general. Never trust Carfax, they just don't get all the stuff all the time.
You got that right lesson learned for sure.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
if the owner paid for the repairs out of pocket it probably was never reported. did you happen to run another car fax on it after your discovery?
Yes and that's where I saw that it occurred in Arizona and the car was in Maryland shortly after it was repaired. Carmax claim was that some business man had it as his company car and then just traded it in one day for something else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone dealt with CarMax?