C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone dealt with CarMax?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:44 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Good advice in general. Never trust Carfax, they just don't get all the stuff all the time.
Originally Posted by Get_UmJ13

You got that right lesson learned for sure.

A CarFax should just be the *beginning* of your inspection, not the end.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:10 AM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have bought a couple of cars from CarMax and traded mine. After my trade, I always check back with their site and every time I see my trade in listed at $5000 more than they gave me. They do however check the trade out and get it up to par before selling. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

On another note, I had a 2008 with CAM and headers. Beautiful car 5000 miles on it but their offer was pitiful. They told me that the mods ruined the value of the car to most people.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
Sure, but go get a trade in value at a Chevy dealership. My experience with carmax and trade in's is that they are always a few thousand higher. When I went to trade in my XJ for an A7, the Audi dealer told me to go to carmax for a higher trade value. He was right. And I've done that now each time.

I first go to carmax for the appraisal and 7 day price lock. I then go to the dealer where I plan to purchase the car from. I have them provide me with a trade value, carmax wins everytime. I then close the deal on the new car and go to carmax and sell them my old car.

I like this approach because I am now only negotiating on the new car versus them playing games on lowering the value of the trade due to the good deal negotiated on the new car. YMMV.
The problem with this approach in MA, is you pay full sales tax on your new car. If traded in, you pay difference in sales tax. Sales tax is 6.25% here. On a $10,000 trade that's $625.

Quick Reply: Has anyone dealt with CarMax?