C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer bolt and washer

Old 08-12-2016, 08:06 AM
rschnettler
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer bolt and washer

I just bought a 06 coupe LS2 had it for 2 hours and took it to my buddy who has his own shop, He took one look at it and said take it back and have them fix the Harmonic balancer. It has 100,000 miles on it and dealer agreed to fix. They have balancer and new bolt but are waiting for washer and something else.
I have looked up bolt and washer and see it is for the LS2 but they want true GM parts. So it is going on 1 1/2 weeks and they are still looking.
I see some GM parts for this are crap and i do not want to have to do this again.
Anyone know if washer needs to be new and where to find one, If that is the case. I only see a bolt on some posts.
??????

Last edited by rschnettler; 08-12-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:25 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by rschnettler
I just bought a 06 coupe LS2 had it for 2 hours and took it to my buddy who has his own shop, He took one look at it and said take it back and have them fix the Harmonic balancer. It has 100,000 miles on it and dealer agreed to fix. They have balancer and new bolt but are waiting for washer and something else.
I have looked up bolt and washer and see it is for the LS2 but they want true GM parts. So it is going on 1 1/2 weeks and they are still looking.
I see some GM parts for this are crap and i do not want to have to do this again.
Anyone know if washer needs to be new and where to find one, If that is the case. I only see a bolt on some posts.
??????
The HB bolt and washer come in different configurations based on the GM PN, or if it is an aftermarket bolt. The last one I did was a one piece bolt w/fixed washer. The landing on the washer is coated with a prefix loctite.

Too bad they are going with another GM HB. You might find yourself repeating all of this down the road.
The following users liked this post:
rschnettler (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 12:17 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

They may be talking about the friction washer at the back of the balancer. I believe it is fine to reuse that one.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 PM
rschnettler
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just called and are putting it back to gether, I did get new good year belts
the beefy one's hope that will help it down the road.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:28 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

A new seal would be a good idea.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:31 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
The HB bolt and washer come in different configurations based on the GM PN, or if it is an aftermarket bolt. The last one I did was a one piece bolt w/fixed washer. The landing on the washer is coated with a prefix loctite.

Too bad they are going with another GM HB. You might find yourself repeating all of this down the road.
The GM dealer near me said they would install any HB I wanted, but they would not give me a warranty on it....If I ever need another balancer I sure as hell won't go with a GM replacement..My car has had 2 of the GM balancers already in 78,000 miles , Im not making the same mistake the previous owner did......WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-12-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:34 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
The GM dealer near me said they would install any HB I wanted, but they would not give me a warranty on it....If I ever need another balancer I sure as hell won't go with a GM replacement..My car has had 2 of the GM balancers already in 78,000 miles , Im not making the same mistake the previous owner did......WW
If I couldn't do the job myself and was forced into the warranty decision, I would waive the warranty and bring my own part to install.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer bolt and washer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer bolt and washer