C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 in Yellowstone?

Old 08-13-2016, 05:05 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Z06 in Yellowstone?

My brother is planning a mega road trip next month and my wife and I have been invited to tag along. Looking at 5300+ miles total.

The wife and I have no issues with driving/riding in our Z for 600 or more miles a day, so that is not an issue. I find it's pretty dang comfortable actually. What concerns me though are what the roads & parking areas are like in some of the areas we'll be visiting.

After just returning from a recent visit to the Smoky Mountains (in a rental car) I can definitively state that I'm glad I did not have my Z on that trip. Many places in the Smoky Mountains where we were forced to park in order to reach a trail head or a jump off location for a hike was NOT vette friendly! Most all of the parking areas only held 20 or 30 cars and were filled by 6AM, but there were 100's there parked all up and down the shoulders of the one-lane roads and I would have never been able to pull off if I had been in the Z.

So with that in mind this trip with my brother will take us first through the Badlands, Needles, and Mt. Rushmore areas of South Dakota. I'm pretty sure all of this sightseeing will be done from major roadways so I don't see any issues. However we are going to Yellowstone for 3 days and this is where I'm concerned. What are the roads and parking areas like in Yellowstone? Am I going to have problems if I'm driving my Z?

I really don't want to get another rental... my brother and his wife plan on driving their 370Z vert.

Input much appreciated.

U.M.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:49 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,795 Likes on 1,956 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Been a long time since I have been to Yellowstone but I do know the Black Hills well and you will want to be in your Z to get the full fun driving those excellent roads.....Yellowstone was the same way when I was there back in the 80's now......wow.....time flies....now you can get rural real fast if you want but overall you will hate not having your Corvette to run the mountain roads.......enjoy!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:27 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Last time I was in yellowstone it was a tourist attraction with slow driving traffic up the mountains. I would definitely take my corvette just be prepared to drive in slow traffic up inclines following RV's that shouldn't be on some of those roads.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I've driven all these parts (and more) in my C6, no worries, just enjoy!

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
My brother is planning a mega road trip next month and my wife and I have been invited to tag along. Looking at 5300+ miles total.

The wife and I have no issues with driving/riding in our Z for 600 or more miles a day, so that is not an issue. I find it's pretty dang comfortable actually. What concerns me though are what the roads & parking areas are like in some of the areas we'll be visiting.

After just returning from a recent visit to the Smoky Mountains (in a rental car) I can definitively state that I'm glad I did not have my Z on that trip. Many places in the Smoky Mountains where we were forced to park in order to reach a trail head or a jump off location for a hike was NOT vette friendly! Most all of the parking areas only held 20 or 30 cars and were filled by 6AM, but there were 100's there parked all up and down the shoulders of the one-lane roads and I would have never been able to pull off if I had been in the Z.

So with that in mind this trip with my brother will take us first through the Badlands, Needles, and Mt. Rushmore areas of South Dakota. I'm pretty sure all of this sightseeing will be done from major roadways so I don't see any issues. However we are going to Yellowstone for 3 days and this is where I'm concerned. What are the roads and parking areas like in Yellowstone? Am I going to have problems if I'm driving my Z?

I really don't want to get another rental... my brother and his wife plan on driving their 370Z vert.

Input much appreciated.

U.M.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:09 AM
watsonrb
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was there last year and the roads are fine. There are plenty of good level parking areas for all of the main attractions. There are no large medians on the roads so you cannot just pull off anywhere but there are plenty of pull offs for photos. Go and have fun. Remember though the speed limit in the park is not over 45 if I remember right and they do stop speeders. So plan on a lot of slow driving for long periods of time. Enjoy it and do not wrestle with any Bison!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:11 AM
harli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to Yellowstone after black hills classic .08 base. about the same as smokeys
lots of people no parking .If u can wait till school starts it will b better It was our first summer vacation in 10 yrs. usually sept .Oct .Black hills Any time is good any time but not bike week!! The roads there are made 4 sports cars and bikes...They just repaved spearfish canyon road nice ENJOY how could u not????
Old 08-13-2016, 11:48 AM
suprcharged
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went last year about this time and found it was crowded, especially at the main sites and attractions. I think many families visit at this time as a last of summer trip before The kids head back to school. It was tough finding a parking place at Old Faithful, but no problem at some of the other areas. As mentioned above, there was lots of stop and go traffic. Some morons would slam on the brakes and park in the middle of the road when they spotted wildlife. No problem ever parking though and found all the roads we were on to be paved. The Park Rangers do have radar in some of their squads and use it....and yes 45 mph is it..... On the other hand, once leaving the Park, depending where you are going, found lots of 80 mph highways. We went from Yellowstone to Devils Tower and it a great drive. Go and enjoy....some of the twisty roads in the park seem like they were made for the Corvette.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Yellowstone is basically a tourist place and is a watered-down version of the Yukon, I would recommend anyone to go there instead, but unfortunately, it is too distant and access is not easy. Yes, Yellowstone gets very busy but which car you are in will not matter, just be patient.

Originally Posted by suprcharged
Went last year about this time and found it was crowded, especially at the main sites and attractions. I think many families visit at this time as a last of summer trip before The kids head back to school. It was tough finding a parking place at Old Faithful, but no problem at some of the other areas. As mentioned above, there was lots of stop and go traffic. Some morons would slam on the brakes and park in the middle of the road when they spotted wildlife. No problem ever parking though and found all the roads we were on to be paved. The Park Rangers do have radar in some of their squads and use it....and yes 45 mph is it..... On the other hand, once leaving the Park, depending where you are going, found lots of 80 mph highways. We went from Yellowstone to Devils Tower and it a great drive. Go and enjoy....some of the twisty roads in the park seem like they were made for the Corvette.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:11 PM
94sundevil
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Definitely take your Vette. I've been to the park 100s of times(grew up in Wyo) and everything is paved. More than likely you see a couple of Vettes. I was there three weeks ago, peak tourist time and you just have to hunt a little for a parking place. One caution though there are some pot holes so pay attention... buffalo and elk should be easy to spot.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:26 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Always take a jacket with you. The weather changes quickly, and it gets cold after sunset.

It's beautiful country, enjoy!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info folks.

It's settled, we are taking the Z! We will be visiting Yellowstone the 18th through the 21st of September so the park should be less crowded. It'll be after Labor Day and the kids should all be back in school by then. Really looking forward to this trip!

U.M.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:28 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

Went to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons last September in our 13 GS (Similar ride height). No driving or parking problems. Many of the parking areas are paved and even the unpaved area are smooth. We will be south of you this September from the 12th to the 22th. We are with a group muscle cars (Corvettes, Camaros, Novas, Mustangs, Challengers, and GTO's recent and classic) that will be visiting the North rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park and end up in the Rockies at Ouray Colorado.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 69 L46 4 Speed; 08-14-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:22 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW...Roads will be fine. Put the Beartooth highway in your travel from SD to Yellowstone. Incredible drive. Took my granddaughter (9 at the time) over it. Needless to say, she wants my car. (Only 4 more years until she has a DL) The elk in Gardner are pretty cool.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:52 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

call the Yellowstone National Park Visitor Center, and ask to speak to a Supv if the attendant at the phone sounds unsure.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 867 Likes on 371 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Went to Yellowstone last year in my GS. Roads and just about all parking areas are paved. Call ahead to the rangers (307-344-2117), or stop at the entrance and check if any roads are under construction. I had to drive about 5 miles behind a pilot car on a rutted dirt road that had been stripped of all pavement. Here are some links to their website, (Which they didn't have last year). Gives updates on roads, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm and https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Waiting on the pilot car.

Last edited by Rky Mtn C6; 05-23-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 322 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

This thread was started in 08/2016. I think he has been and hope is back by now?? Good info if you are planning a trip this year.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat

Having spent months of time over many years in Yellowstone, though not as much in summer, as I hate the throngs of people and the stupid driving that goes with it. And also, having been through the parts of South Dakota you mention (and headed there again in a month) - I would say maybe. I've only ever had a 4x4 rig on these trips and the more the people, the more the good parking goes quickly and have often found I needed the truck. IF you only drive around on roads and don't ever get out, or only go to major attractions, then you may be fine. That has never been how my wife and I enjoy the parks. Many places to pull off in Yellowstone are not paved and the drop from pavement to dirt can be rough. If you like to really see a place, then you'll have to make the call. Most people just drive around and don't really see a place. If that's you, then the Z06 will be fine. I wouldn't even consider taking my C6 - too many of the places we enjoy are not low-car friendly.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 in Yellowstone?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

OP took this trip 8 months ago

Last edited by HBsurfer; 05-23-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
OP took this trip 8 months ago
It was a blast too! Had no problems accessing any of the locations. Already planning another trip for this September only we are going up the eastern seaboard.

U.M.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 AM
trawler
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for all the info, planning on this same trip first part of June.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 in Yellowstone?