C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Base vs C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C6 Base vs C6 Z06

I would like your opinions guys. I currently have an 05 m6 ls2 vette. I enjoy the ownership of this car but I'm beginning to get used to the power. I already went through alot of threads about bolt ons and FI, however it seems that all of that requires more money and usually compromises something, it seems like a better option to get the Z06, but when I take a look at it it's pretty much the same thing with a bigger engine and wider flares. I do light highway blasts to 100-120 then slow down. Is it justifiable to upgrade to a z06 in the future, or just to stick with my current ?
Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

you'll get used to the z as well. you'll also get used to the new FI power if you go that route.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What's your budget?
Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
What's your budget?
Well currently I'm 21 paying the car off, I spent 2k on maintenance of my c6 in the last 3 months, I usually have to save up for stuff because of other bills ( I'm almost done paying my truck off ) but my financial flexibility should improve by next year. I was only asking for future investment, probably after I get the car payed off, Like in 3 years. A friend of mine bought a 16 Mustang gt and I don't like the fact that he can keep up with me.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Drive a Z.....that should make up your mind.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (08-19-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
you'll get used to the z as well. you'll also get used to the new FI power if you go that route.
I thought so as well, I guess this is more of an ego thing because my friend bought a 2016 Mustang gt and I don't like the fact that a Mustang can keep up with my vette.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by lebvette
Drive a Z.....that should make up your mind.
Yes, I would, I'm not sure if a dealership would let me, I'm not considering to buy one yet since I'm still paying off my current.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

my base model is as fast as a z in a straight line with less than the cost of the upgrade to a z.

1. at your age the insurance would be a big factor to me. im 30 and decided against the z partly because of insurance cost. (and i have a flawless record.)

2. do you want a removable top? cuz you cant get that with a z

3. do you have the money for a z? its probably a solid 10k more just to buy the car but the cost to maintain will be higher as well. tires are probably 1.5x the cost of your base model and brakes will be pricier as well. then there's the dreaded valve issue, although it wouldnt concern me but it does concern many.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Originally Posted by Nijat1
I thought so as well, I guess this is more of an ego thing because my friend bought a 2016 Mustang gt and I don't like the fact that a Mustang can keep up with my vette.
welcome to the real world... theres always someone bigger, faster, stronger lol
Old 08-17-2016, 05:46 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

In 3 years you'll probably be done with the car and looking for something else. Just enjoy it for now and save your money for your next toy.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Orange Skullz
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Just get a new Camaro SS
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 PM
ccz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was just going to get a regular vert C6. I looked around, saw ones I liked that I could afford to pay cash for ($30,000). I then saw a jet stream blue Z for sale. I called the owner and he was about 8 hours away in a different state. I was going to call him later after he got off work to go see the car the next day. While waiting for the clock to strike 6 pm.... I saw a Atomic Orange Z local for a little more.

You can figure out what happened.

I came off a 8 second Turbo Busa. Yes you get used to the acceleration and it becomes, dare I say... boring?

I drove the Z... it was damn slow. Almost like stupid slow. But I wasn't after a 8 second daily driver. Meanwhile, my son is looking at cars also. He finds a supercharger hemi Charger, so we go take it for a ride. The owner says its making like 450 hp. I drive it, its like a total pig. My son and his buddy thought it was fast.

Fast forward a few weeks I go to the track. Smoke my clutch, spin the tires and run 11.40's @127 mph. I just put a Mantic clutch in now, and bought ET streets. I believe with a good launch a 11.0-11.10, maybe if I am super lucky a 10.90.

So the reason for all this blah blah blah is..... Even though I feel like the Z isn't fast, it is. Its almost a 10 second car that pretty darn stock ( exhaust and intake ). Do you need faster? Then just put a bottle on it and call it a day. Cheap and easy. If you want better everything.... then buy a Z.

After having looked at a bunch of base models and then buying the Z, I am VERY glad I bought the Z. Because I would have been sickly disappointed at the dismal power a base model puts out. You can build a base model and have it be a little better then the Z starting point. I just drove and raced against a procharged Grand Sport. Me racing him in my Z, I was 6 car lengths ahead of him EASY and I had a bad clutch and spun the tires ( 3 races at the track ). Me driving his car I was not impressed. It lacked the low end grunt my big 427 had. He eventually ran 3 tenths behind me. But mostly was running high 11's low 12's.

Is that fast? Yes. Its all relative. For a few high rips... buy a Z. Keep it stock and blew the snot off most other cars on the street that aren't too built. Start getting a little pissy because some twin turbo whatever beat you... well then start to build the Z.

Bottom line, it all depends on what you want. A little more power to combat that stang.... like I said, put a bottle on it and call it a day.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ccz
I was just going to get a regular vert C6. I looked around, saw ones I liked that I could afford to pay cash for ($30,000). I then saw a jet stream blue Z for sale. I called the owner and he was about 8 hours away in a different state. I was going to call him later after he got off work to go see the car the next day. While waiting for the clock to strike 6 pm.... I saw a Atomic Orange Z local for a little more.

You can figure out what happened.

I came off a 8 second Turbo Busa. Yes you get used to the acceleration and it becomes, dare I say... boring?

I drove the Z... it was damn slow. Almost like stupid slow. But I wasn't after a 8 second daily driver. Meanwhile, my son is looking at cars also. He finds a supercharger hemi Charger, so we go take it for a ride. The owner says its making like 450 hp. I drive it, its like a total pig. My son and his buddy thought it was fast.

Fast forward a few weeks I go to the track. Smoke my clutch, spin the tires and run 11.40's @127 mph. I just put a Mantic clutch in now, and bought ET streets. I believe with a good launch a 11.0-11.10, maybe if I am super lucky a 10.90.

So the reason for all this blah blah blah is..... Even though I feel like the Z isn't fast, it is. Its almost a 10 second car that pretty darn stock ( exhaust and intake ). Do you need faster? Then just put a bottle on it and call it a day. Cheap and easy. If you want better everything.... then buy a Z.

After having looked at a bunch of base models and then buying the Z, I am VERY glad I bought the Z. Because I would have been sickly disappointed at the dismal power a base model puts out. You can build a base model and have it be a little better then the Z starting point. I just drove and raced against a procharged Grand Sport. Me racing him in my Z, I was 6 car lengths ahead of him EASY and I had a bad clutch and spun the tires ( 3 races at the track ). Me driving his car I was not impressed. It lacked the low end grunt my big 427 had. He eventually ran 3 tenths behind me. But mostly was running high 11's low 12's.

Is that fast? Yes. Its all relative. For a few high rips... buy a Z. Keep it stock and blew the snot off most other cars on the street that aren't too built. Start getting a little pissy because some twin turbo whatever beat you... well then start to build the Z.

Bottom line, it all depends on what you want. A little more power to combat that stang.... like I said, put a bottle on it and call it a day.

Good luck.
Thanks for sharing, I imagine it sucks being used to high hp cars, but it gives me a good insight on what to do. I guess best route is to save up for the z06, the guy with the procharger must have felt regret after spending so much on his and not being faster than z06, I was thinking of a zr1 but it doesn't seem to be worth the money considering it being marginally faster than a z06 but costing another 30k. Prices might fluctuate in the next couple of years bringing down the cost of a z06, so it should be good to buy one, thanks again though it helps alot.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Z06 is not just wider fenders and tires, if you can afford it, move to the Z06, yes tires are more, but so it'll be those dot tires you'd want on your base C6, valve issue is, well, an issue, don't overlook it.

But as far as compromises when building your LS2, full exhaust, intake, heads, cam and tune.
FI and tune.
Even on the Z you would still need to upgrade the clutch.
No valve issues on your LS2 and with relatively low money your buddy's stang would be history......until he mods it or the next guy beats you; then what?
You said that you are keeping the car until it gets paid, well, improve on it a little at a time.
Point is, there is always better, stronger, faster out there.
Btw, you are referring to a C6 Z06 right? Not a C7?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by RicardoFors68
Z06 is not just wider fenders and tires, if you can afford it, move to the Z06, yes tires are more, but so it'll be those dot tires you'd want on your base C6, valve issue is, well, an issue, don't overlook it.

But as far as compromises when building your LS2, full exhaust, intake, heads, cam and tune.
FI and tune.
Even on the Z you would still need to upgrade the clutch.
No valve issues on your LS2 and with relatively low money your buddy's stang would be history......until he mods it or the next guy beats you; then what?
You said that you are keeping the car until it gets paid, well, improve on it a little at a time.
Point is, there is always better, stronger, faster out there.
Btw, you are referring to a C6 Z06 right? Not a C7?
C6 z06, the c7 is out of my price range, but I might consider it too in the future. Doings all bolt one will bring up the power levels but the people that do them often complain about driveability, fi is better route but would cost as much as a z06 in the long run while potentially killing the bottom end as others have stated on the forum. Maybe it would be best to wait to upgrade to the c7 z06. The c6 z06 seems to offer the best bang for buck.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:15 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettemuscle1
welcome to the real world... theres always someone bigger, faster, stronger lol

About 2 months after I bought my Vette, I bought my second crotch rocket. It was faster than the Vette at less the price. If you want to go fast and keep up with others, it aint gonna happen. And as far as investment, take your money and throw it in stocks or a house for investment.

Last edited by schizcat; 08-17-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Ya id quit calling the car an investment its quite the opposite. Zr1s are coming down in price i catch myself lookin at them every now and again. You sound like u want big power and the driveability of a base car.... Pick one or the other. And define driveability? Im making mid 400s at the wheels with a cam intake and full exhaust and my driveability is fine. It gets annoying in stop n go but thats just cuz its a manual with a heavy clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Base vs C6 Z06

Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vettemuscle1
Ya id quit calling the car an investment its quite the opposite. Zr1s are coming down in price i catch myself lookin at them every now and again. You sound like u want big power and the driveability of a base car.... Pick one or the other. And define driveability? Im making mid 400s at the wheels with a cam intake and full exhaust and my driveability is fine. It gets annoying in stop n go but thats just cuz its a manual with a heavy clutch.
People complain about the cars bogging, having to rev higher to make power, cruise control being harder to use, it seems like when putting that stuff on it makes it harder/ less enjoyable to drive on the streets
Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Originally Posted by Nijat1
People complain about the cars bogging, having to rev higher to make power, cruise control being harder to use, it seems like when putting that stuff on it makes it harder/ less enjoyable to drive on the streets
Do you want a sports car or a grocery getter? Cruise control? Wtf is that. 😜 U just need to drive one. Mine makes good power all the wAy up. Super chargers will make relatively linear power as well. Every build has its weak spots gotta build for a given purpose
Old 08-17-2016, 09:00 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

It's a poor reason to rationalize the need for more power just because your friends new Mustang can keep up. There will always be someone with something faster. Sorry if you find this offensive, but you need a few years of maturity to realize what you have is just fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by airmed2:
bgspot (08-19-2016), WW7 (08-18-2016)

Quick Reply: C6 Base vs C6 Z06