C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed car trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:35 PM
MYblu69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Enclosed car trailer

I've been looking around for a enclosed Corvette trailer and its confusing! Steel or aluminum, how long, tire options, brother I need some advice! Trailer would be essentially used to take my Corvette to judging meets.
What are your recommendations?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM
93viperrt10
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MYblu69
I've been looking around for a enclosed Corvette trailer and its confusing! Steel or aluminum, how long, tire options, brother I need some advice! Trailer would be essentially used to take my Corvette to judging meets.

I am also in market for enclosed trailer and would be happy to give you my $.02

My guess is you will need a min of 22 ft but the 24 ft are much more readily available and therefore better buy. I am getting a V Nose as it includes a little more space for seemily same amount of money.

What is your budget.

There are entry level trailers for around $5k. These are steel frame and are ok for most applications. They are heavy so you will most likely need a min 3/4 truck to haul it. There are all over craiglist where most manufactures will advertise. Because the build quality is more budget minded, it will begin to show its age much sooner.

There are a couple of really nice Mid Range trailers that are both steel and aluminum frames. These run under $10k (steel) depending on options and are pretty nice. My 2 favorite are Stealth and Neo Trailers.

http://www.stealthtrailer.com/

http://neotrailers.com/

And then there are the higher end trailers, mostly aluminum framed. I have not researched these too much as they are out of my league. The one I saw at track that was really nice is a ATC

http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/produ...dCarHaulers/44

For the money I really like the Neo it has a cast aluminum roof rail which I like more than the screwed down aluminum extrusion.

Good luck with the search.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (10-02-2018)
Old 08-28-2016, 04:57 AM
thegreenman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MYblu69
We will need more information to help you. What is the vehicle you will be using? Weight it can pull? Going to use a gooseneck or hitch trailer?

I bought a haulmark 24' trailer to pull my Vette and other toys.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:55 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was in the same boat as you are looking for a trailer for my C6 and other things. I ended up being frustrated by companies that claimed they would get back to you and never did. Because of this I ended up spending more than I originally planned but I think it's going to work out for the better. I ended up purchasing an ATC Raven with additions. I posted some pictures of it in this thread. Instead of 24" on center wall supports mine has 16" on center and it is built taller with 83" ceiling clearance along with escape door and a second interior ceiling light. I was lucky when I found it in that I was in Kentucky and the trailer was only 2 hours away in Missouri. It also gave me time to get to know it better on the nearly 2,000 mile trip back to California.

Even though it pulled fine empty I still added a weight distribution hitch.

I'm also doing some work on the interior for some 2 wheel toys.

No that is not the original flooring, I added 3/4" plywood for extra support for when I'm moving some tools and such.

The reason I say it will work out better is because I am pulling with a half ton Avalance for now so lighter is better. It also means that towing capacity is higher than a similar size steel frame trailer unless the 300 pounds of extra plywood negated that.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (10-02-2018)
Old 09-15-2016, 06:57 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I would be sure to get a beaver tail.
An escape door located in the right place.
Extended ramp.
Brakes on both axels.
Built in tie downs.
Extended front hitch platform.
Spare tire.
Get good tires to begin with.
Some sort of sway bar system

If you are going to work on car;
Light package
Awning, bigger is better
Generator compartment.

Take your time
Robin
Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 PM
gwz51
Intermediate

Check out Pro-line trailers in Rocky Mount, Virginia. Big selection of closed car haulers and custom build. They fabricate trailers on site and very affordable. You may be surprised at their prices and quality.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:17 AM
Ironswims
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11, '13, '15, '17, '19

I visited three factories in Elkhart, Indiana before I bought mine. I bought a Storm with full tube frame and optioned to suit my use. I wanted a 20' due to a suburban driveway and my 3 window '32 is short. I have had a lot of cars on it though including my C6. 24' is very little more $$. But I'm happy with my 20' and the 1/2 ton swb truck I pull it with. My second choice was Stealth. Aluminum is nice, but quite a bit more $$. I elected the torsion axles, and they ride better than spring. I also went with 5 bolt 3500 Lb axles instead of 6 bolt 5200 lb. ones. Again, for my use it was fine. Go to a good dealer and they will educate you for your purpose. Some options like interior lighting is not expensive and I've been very happy that I had it.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Look on racejunk.com. Bunch of used enclosed trailers to select from or give you an idea of what’s out there. Just helped friend set up a used Featherlight for hauling his vintage molars around. Based on that experience, suggest you get 24’ minimum, triangle nose for extra room and storage, gate ramp and escape door to allow easier access outwhen car loaded. A power dolly is very useful, as are interior lights, secondary battery, and storage cabinets. Torque tube suspension and 5200 lbs axles also since once you have it you will haul more than just your car (is neighbors’ truck, relative’s auto, etc)

oh yeah, friend is hauling the trailer with a F-150 ecobost!

Last edited by dpigguy; 10-01-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:35 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
Look on racejunk.com. Bunch of used enclosed trailers to select from or give you an idea of what’s out there. Just helped friend set up a used Featherlight for hauling his vintage molars around. Based on that experience, suggest you get 24’ minimum, triangle nose for extra room and storage, gate ramp and escape door to allow easier access outwhen car loaded. A power dolly is very useful, as are interior lights, secondary battery, and storage cabinets. Torque tube suspension and 5200 lbs axles also since once you have it you will haul more than just your car (is neighbors’ truck, relative’s auto, etc)

oh yeah, friend is hauling the trailer with a F-150 ecobost!
I’d hate to think I was towing a 24’ enclosed trailer loaded with a 1/2 ton truck.

Get notified of new replies

To Enclosed car trailer

Quick Reply: Enclosed car trailer