C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Brake fluid leak

So I removed my calipers for painting. Everything went surprisingly well. Painting and reassembly was great. No issues. I was worried about the bleeding part but that went well as well. Used a motive pressure bleeder. No issues all air is out of the system and I have fresh fluid in the system. During the pressurized bleeding, I experienced no leaking at all. However, while driving, I performed a couple of hard stops from 60 to about 20 to star the bed down process for my new pads. After that drive, I found brake fluid leaks on two calipers. I am positive its coming from the banjo bolt. Should I try to tighten more or get new crush washers for those two calipers? I don't want to crossthread the calipers. It seems to be small amounts of dripping. I parked for over 12 hrs at work and I didn't see any more dripping. Drove home as I would normally do with normal braking and I don't think there was more fluid leaking. Maybe it was the hard brakes that made them leak? Should I then attempt to tighten the banjo bolt more? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I truly do not know the answer, but my question is: are those crush washers one-time use items? Some are for other parts of the car.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

YES...one-time use. They should not be used again. Only luck if they don't leak on a reuse.
The following users liked this post:
Jcbarr25 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 02:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
YES...one-time use. They should not be used again. Only luck if they don't leak on a reuse.
You should replace all of them.

The difference between the bleeding pressure, a couple of psi, and braking pressure, a couple of thousand psi, is meaningful.

Last edited by cclive; 09-07-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Jcbarr25 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Alrigh then. I guess I should have done my research better. I will get some from the dealer and replace them all 4 calipers just to be safe and bleed the brakes again.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 04:13 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

If it's easier, you probably don't need to go to the dealer. My local Advanced Auto has them in a variety of sizes, and I imagine they all do, as long as you know what size you need...
Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Besides new washers, it is essential to tighten banjo bolts to the correct torque. Under tightening (by guessing) won't seat/seal the washers. Over tightening can cause galling of the washer surfaces instead of "forming" them to the mating surfaces. Then really over tightening them can distort the body of the banjo pretty much ensuring a leak.

Banjo bolts should be tightened to 15 to 21 ft.lbs. You want to tighten up to the final torque once, then stop.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 09-07-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Jcbarr25 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Ok I will replace them all and tighten to proper torque. The front are easy since the torque wrench fits there. Back, well not so easy. Idk how I overlooked that the washers are one time use. Oh well
Old 09-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Yes, over tightening will cause more leaks. Check torque, replace washer if needed. IMO.
Jcbarr25 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Yep! Banjo washers are a one time use item. Get the torque spec and tighten to the spec. You can find the washers at NAPA or any well stocked auto parts store. You local chevy parts department should also have them.
Jcbarr25 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 12:22 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
Ok I will replace them all and tighten to proper torque. The front are easy since the torque wrench fits there. Back, well not so easy. Idk how I overlooked that the washers are one time use. Oh well
After you tighten the front ones with the torque wrench, you should have a pretty good feel for how tight to do the rear ones even though the torque wrench won't get in there.
Jcbarr25 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cclive
After you tighten the front ones with the torque wrench, you should have a pretty good feel for how tight to do the rear ones even though the torque wrench won't get in there.
This is what I will do. I got the new washers. No wonder I am leaking this new ones are thick. From what I remmeber the old one were a lot skinnier. I can't believe I didn't realive I needed new. Oh well I guess this wknd I'll be removing the brake lines and refusing everything.

Thanks everyone for the help. My master cylinder is still full. I think I leaked brake fluid under hard braking but not under normal conditions. Either way, I need to make this correct with new washers.

On a side note, my painted calipers look really good. It was worth it. And the new pads are great too. No more brake dust on my gloss black wheels. Also, I was worried about flushing the brakes bur with the pressurized bleeder, it was easy and quick. My old brake fluid was 5 years old. Will be flushing every 2 years from now on.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

This is what I will do. I got the new washers. No wonder I am leaking this new ones are thick. From what I remmeber the old one were a lot skinnier. I can't believe I didn't realive I needed new. Oh well I guess this wknd I'll be removing the brake lines and refusing everything.

Thanks everyone for the help. My master cylinder is still full. I think I leaked brake fluid under hard braking but not under normal conditions. Either way, I need to make this correct with new washers.

On a side note, my painted calipers look really good. It was worth it. And the new pads are great too. No more brake dust on my gloss black wheels. Also, I was worried about flushing the brakes bur with the pressurized bleeder, it was easy and quick. My old brake fluid was 5 years old. Will be flushing every 2 years from now on.
Good practice. I flush BF with a power bleeder every two years on 4 cars.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:05 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Brake fluid eats paint. Get rid of any trace of it.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I got the new washers. No wonder I am leaking this new ones are thick. From what I rememeber the old one were a lot skinnier.
They call them CRUSH for a reason...LOL. Glad you got them..the leaks should come to an end now.
Jcbarr25 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 02:22 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimmymac25
Yeah I know. Luckily only the back part got ruined and I will resort when I fix this leak. I was more wor tied about my wheels that are powder coated. They are ok though. I don't think it leAK on he barrels
Old 09-09-2016, 02:25 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cclive
They call them CRUSH for a reason...LOL. Glad you got them..the leaks should come to an end now.
This wknd will be another car wknd. Again. This is necessary though. Hopefully this will take car of the leaks. I know it will. I have faith even thou most of my projects always end up like this. With me having to redo stuff. The only project that has gone right has been upgrading my seats

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid leak

Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac25
Do i just wipe it off with a cloth? Windex? Spit? Just did a z06 brakes conversion on my 08 base and on the 4th day (i think) after work i saw a little brake fluid on rear drivers side, but for some reason the rubber seal was not on... hmmp??
Im at work right now, knowing that brake fluid could still be on the red calipers scares me. I only dried it with my finger!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:18 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

This wknd will be another car wknd. Again. This is necessary though. Hopefully this will take car of the leaks. I know it will. I have faith even thou most of my projects always end up like this. With me having to redo stuff. The only project that has gone right has been upgrading my seats
When you remove the banjo bolts, inspect the matting surfaces real good, as a small nick will only create the same leak.

GL
Old 09-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Alright I finished everything today. Was surprise how little fluid dripped out. Tighten to 20 ft lb torque and in the back for the as tight as I could to resemble the front. I even marked the front with a marker to see how many turns to the torque. Did the same in the back to get similar torque. Re flushed all good. Went out for a test and to continue to bed down the new pads so hard stops from 60 to about 20. However this time the ABS Active message came on. Last time with the leaks, the message didn't come on. I assume that's a good thing. We shall see

Quick Reply: Brake fluid leak