C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE/Track Guys: Found an Affordable, Adjustable Fire Extinguisher Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default HPDE/Track Guys: Found an Affordable, Adjustable Fire Extinguisher Bracket

Hey everyone

Bit of a backstory first - if not interested, skip down to bold line:

Just wanted to share some info that might help those of you who track/race/hpde/etc. or just want to have the security (or looks) of having a fire extinguisher in the car.

I saw my first engine fire at an HPDE event earlier this year and saw how helpful having something on hand can be. With that, and having put headers on my C6Z (lots of fluid lines nearby that may ignite if they burst), I started looking around.

Prices for the bracket, which was a simple piece of aluminum or mild steel with some holes drilled to fit your seat bolts were $100 and up. Most of the fancy fire extinguisher options were $200 and up, and who knows what kind of customs BS I'd go through to get one shipped here in Canada.

BOLD LINE!

I found this product on google (not affiliated in any way).

http://www.thebracketeer.com/buy/bra...uisher-bracket

It's an adjustable mount so it can fit both my C6Z and M3 and many other cars. Owner replied by email right away and was helpful to deal with.

Offered a coupon for $10 off (enter "$10 OFF" without the quotes at checkout to get this). So that left me at about $50 USD for the mount, and then I was able to search for an affordable extinguisher. I decided on a 2.5lb BC rated (sodium bicarbonate) Kidde extinguisher from home depot for $30 CAD. So with shipping, call it $100 all in to have some extra safety/peace of mind....and it does look kinda badass IMO.

Sidenote: if you're going to do this, there's a bit of debate on forums about what kind of extinguisher to get. ABC rated is a no no (hard to clean and causes rust). Halon/Halotron leaves no residue, cost $$$ and works by displacing oxygen so better for interior rather than engine fires, and BC (sodium or potassium bicarbonate) seem to strike a middle ground - pretty cheap, easy (ish) to clean, and not useless in an open air area (like under the hood). Just my thoughts - do your own research.

Hope this helps - see below for a few pics during installation and a finished one of it in my C6Z.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: HPDE/Track Guys: Found an Affordable, Adjustable Fire Extinguisher Bracket