C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Strange Electrical Problems - Any Ecperts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:48 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 2 Strange Electrical Problems - Any Ecperts???

I have a 2008 Z06. I was involved in a fender bender that required a LF fender and left door (not reskinned, replaced entire door).

Problem 1: When I picked the car up after it was fixed I noticed the mirrors would not come to the correct position so I thought memory had been lost and I would program them later. Well, I can't program them at all. I press and hold memory 1 and I just get one beep. I've tried this with engine off, engine on, acc mode, brake on, brake off - all combinations and the same just one beep. I cam manually set the mirrors fine. Another strange thing is that when I press a memory the left buttom the mirror just moves out (or in, depending on where it was).

Problem 2: Just started a couple weeks ago. When I walk up to the car the doors won't open. I press unlock on the FOB with no response. I've even walked all the way around the car pressing the unlock button. No response. I take the key out of the FOB and open the hatch and pull the cord. The door pops open and the alarm goes off. As soon as I touch the door to open it, the alarm stops and the FOB works. I even tried it from a distance (50 ft) and it would lock and unlock the doors. I drove it off and on for about 6 hours and the FOB worked. I parked the car in the garage and two days later, same thing, FOB wouldn't work until after the car "woke up"..

Dealership has no idea about problem !, they haven't looked at problem 2 yet.

Anyone had problems like these???

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 09-14-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:12 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

RE problem #2, I've read on this forum that the fobs will start to perform oddly when the batteries are getting low. Try replacing the battery.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:35 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by the kid C6
RE problem #2, I've read on this forum that the fobs will start to perform oddly when the batteries are getting low. Try replacing the battery.
Ok, I'll try that one. I thought of that but discarded that idea because it works from a distance. Can is at dealer right now, they are trying to diagnose problem #1...

Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Did you have a passenger with you when the fender bender happened?
Here's the reason behind my question. If someone on the pass. side braced their foot against the floor board, they are liable to dislodge the connection points on the BCM behind the carpet just under the dash panel.
Check out the blue colored connectors and make sure they are tightly installed.
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

ExtraPilot has a good point, but if there was no passenger I have another thought. You stated they replaced the entire left door. Having recently replaced the left door on mine, I can attest to some weirdness if the wiring harnesses are not exact, not pinched, and of the same year. I think I would take it back to the shop where the repair was completed and request them to remove the door panel and check all the wiring and connectors. It is possible they damaged the memory input module when removing the connector and/or have something not connected completely. Your mirror switch functions, but the memory controls don't...and that was the door they just worked on. I would start with the wiring that was most recently replaced/moved.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 08:56 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
ExtraPilot has a good point, but if there was no passenger I have another thought. You stated they replaced the entire left door. Having recently replaced the left door on mine, I can attest to some weirdness if the wiring harnesses are not exact, not pinched, and of the same year. I think I would take it back to the shop where the repair was completed and request them to remove the door panel and check all the wiring and connectors. It is possible they damaged the memory input module when removing the connector and/or have something not connected completely. Your mirror switch functions, but the memory controls don't...and that was the door they just worked on. I would start with the wiring that was most recently replaced/moved.

and the memory module could of been damaged on impact?
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Did you have a passenger with you when the fender bender happened?
Here's the reason behind my question. If someone on the pass. side braced their foot against the floor board, they are liable to dislodge the connection points on the BCM behind the carpet just under the dash panel.
Check out the blue colored connectors and make sure they are tightly installed.
No passenger. I started to move over 1 land to the left and the guy 2 lanews to the left started to move over 1 lane. All my damage was confined to the left side.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:51 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Good idea What kind if weirdness did you experience???
Old 09-15-2016, 04:54 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by extrapilot

and the memory module could of been damaged on impact?
Where is the memory module? The seats can be set and retained, just the mirrors can't be retained. And there is sopposed to be two beeps after programming is set. Get only one beep.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Considering that we may be talking New modules on the GM can bus that replaced old modules, was the the car reprogrammed to mate up with the new modules with each other?
Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
Where is the memory module? The seats can be set and retained, just the mirrors can't be retained. And there is sopposed to be two beeps after programming is set. Get only one beep.
Doing a little research and found that the seat module, which could also be integrated for the mirror memory, but certainly not sure. It's under the seat but need to take the bottom of it apart.
See post #10;
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-mirrors.html
But as AL_JAZZ has said, it's more likely a issues with the last repairs done with regards to the body work and replacement of the door. They might of missed a wire or connected a dirty plug together or something to the affect.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:50 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
Good idea What kind if weirdness did you experience???
I replaced my left door and the memory module refused to work. The original harness was partially melted from the heat, yet it worked with it. The new door did not come with a harness and I had ordered it separately. I ordered a second harness and when installing it, I had to change the side impact airbag module plug out with the original partially melted harness to mate with the module from the replacement door. Then the passenger window would go down from the drivers door control but only up from the passenger control. I replaced the drivers power window module and now mirrors, windows, and memory all function correctly. Why I originally stated it as weirdness. Seems all the stars have to align in the right order and everything works with no airbag lights. As a side effect, I am now an expert at pulling the drivers side interior panel and putting it back on.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

I replaced my left door and the memory module refused to work. The original harness was partially melted from the heat, yet it worked with it. The new door did not come with a harness and I had ordered it separately. I ordered a second harness and when installing it, I had to change the side impact airbag module plug out with the original partially melted harness to mate with the module from the replacement door. Then the passenger window would go down from the drivers door control but only up from the passenger control. I replaced the drivers power window module and now mirrors, windows, and memory all function correctly. Why I originally stated it as weirdness. Seems all the stars have to align in the right order and everything works with no airbag lights. As a side effect, I am now an expert at pulling the drivers side interior panel and putting it back on.
Question; These Modules are located inside the doors?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:25 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Got some news from the dealer today:

problem #1 turns out to be some module in the mirror

problem #2 was a low battery in the remore.

Thanks guys for the help
The following users liked this post:
Landru (09-17-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 09:47 PM
afpadre25
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver''s seat will not retain entry memory positions

My driver's seat will remember all exit positions, but will not return the seat forward after entering and starting up. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-27-2016, 04:52 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by afpadre25
My driver's seat will remember all exit positions, but will not return the seat forward after entering and starting up. Anyone else experienced this?
Mine is set to go forward after I press the button on the door. Does yours move after you press the memory button?
Old 09-28-2016, 06:37 AM
afpadre25
Heel & Toe

mine was set to move seat forward and down, the steering wheel came out, and mirrors went into place. All of that happened when I started the car since the key FOB was programmed with the memory. I never use the button except when setting the memory. I have the memory recall turned on in the DIC. When the seat quit going forward I disconnected then reconnected the seat connector and reset the memory. It seems to be working fine now.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 Strange Electrical Problems - Any Ecperts???

Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by afpadre25
mine was set to move seat forward and down, the steering wheel came out, and mirrors went into place. All of that happened when I started the car since the key FOB was programmed with the memory. I never use the button except when setting the memory. I have the memory recall turned on in the DIC. When the seat quit going forward I disconnected then reconnected the seat connector and reset the memory. It seems to be working fine now.
One thing I've noticed on mine is an intermittent problem after I press the button the seat does not move. Only happens like once in 50 times. I just manually move the seat a little and press the memory button on the door. Then the seat moves to the proper position. To verify you do not have this problem, do things as normal. When the seat doesn't move, manually move the seat forward a bit then press the corresponding memory button on the door. If the seat does not move you don't have the same problem.

One minor point, there is no memory in the FOB, each FOB has a unique ID. When you touch the touchpad to open the door, the computer sends out a request that FOB's in the area will answer. The FOB will answer with it's ID, from then on the car knows what number FOB. Only the first two FOB's can be programmed into the memory function. the other two FOB's will do everything but activate the memory function.

I don't have my memory set-up like yours since I can't reach the clutch until the seat has been moved.

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 09-28-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:33 PM
afpadre25
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=50 4Ever;1593150679]One thing I've noticed on mine is an intermittent problem after I press the button the seat does not move. Only happens like once in 50 times. I just manually move the seat a little and press the memory button on the door. Then the seat moves to the proper position. To verify you do not have this problem, do things as normal. When the seat doesn't move, manually move the seat forward a bit then press the corresponding memory button on the door. If the seat does not move you don't have the same problem.

One minor point, there is no memory in the FOB, each FOB has a unique ID. When you touch the touchpad to open the door, the computer sends out a request that FOB's in the area will answer. The FOB will answer with it's ID, from then on the car knows what number FOB. Only the first two FOB's can be programmed into the memory function. the other two FOB's will do everything but activate the memory function.

I don't have my memory set-up like yours since I can't reach the clutch until the seat has been moved.

Thanks. Good info to know for next time I have this problem.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:04 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Update on memory mirror problem:

Finally got it fixed, it turned out to be the mirror. The dealer ordered a mirror from GM, it didn't fix the problem. They were involved with GM'' Tech and thought it was a bad mirror. Ordered another one, didn't work either. Swapped mirrors with a similar Corvette on the used car lot and it worked fine. They put the new mirror on the used Corvette and the memory function would not wort. GM put the dealer in touch with the supplier. They hand built a mirror and tested it out, then FedExed it to dealer. Put the mirror on my car and it worked perfectly.

Thanks to GM, the supplier and the dealer (Performance Chevrolet, Sacramento CA) for getting to the bottom of this problem.

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 10-13-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 Strange Electrical Problems - Any Ecperts???