C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is this so hard!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:53 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I like the HUD, now that I'm accustomed to it. I miss it in my other car.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

It doesn't have to be that hard if you know what you want.

I knew exactly what I wanted so it was just finding it.

I'd say find the color that you like. Then look at engines and extras. It looks like you want a M6 from the two cars you were looking at.

Keep looking and don't settle until you get everything you want.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

Don't be in a rush. I spent a couple of years thinking about it and then about 3 months really looking before I bought mine. There are a lot of options so take the time to study them and figure out what is worth it to you. Some of those options cost a lot when the car was new but very little now. Z51 for instance hardly moves the needle. There are lots of cars out there and lots of websites that show them. No need to restrict yourself to local cars.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I have an '07 3LT. I would take the lower mileage car without a second thought.

Love the HUD.

Bose stereo I don't care about either way.

No nav, no care, no need for it.

I've tried the heated seats twice just to see if they work. Otherwise I have never used them.

Automatic seats, mirrors, etc. I don't care about because nobody else drives my car.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

i feel like you gotta have the bose or better if you like music and rocking out with the top off. i will probably completely upgrade mine but im a music junky. agreed with bruze nav now adays is dumb (unless your phone dies... been there). heated seats are awkward to me you end up with swamp *** haha.

agreed with above figure out what the main things are. do you want wide body or narrow body, then color, then engine/trans combo, and keep trickling down. you can always upgrade stuff.

see i knew i wanted to do full exhaust and intake etc. so i found a car that had the work done. saved me a bunch of time and $ cuz you never get your money back on the mod work. food for thought
Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I couldn't agree more with dr_gallup. Don't be in a rush. Don't settle for anything less than you want. It took me a little while to find an LS3 Z51 with 3LT in my price range, but it was so satisfying to find one.

I personally wanted the LS3, but I think the LS2 with those super low miles would be worth it over the LS3 with 30k more miles at that price.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 213 Posts

I like the heated seats, but I have a Vert and find it a nice option when cruising with the top down and it starts to cool off.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:30 PM
arkentect
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been reading a lot of the sticky threads on here and some older posts trying to gauge my interest in certain options. I would love a widebody but right now there are none in my price range without 90k miles. I'm not huge on technology in cars either since I grew up building classic cars with my father, and none of them had heated seats lol. Unless the options effect the overall driving of the car they prob can be over looked.
Should I avoid the transparent tops as well?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by arkentect
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been reading a lot of the sticky threads on here and some older posts trying to gauge my interest in certain options. I would love a widebody but right now there are none in my price range without 90k miles. I'm not huge on technology in cars either since I grew up building classic cars with my father, and none of them had heated seats lol. Unless the options effect the overall driving of the car they prob can be over looked.
Should I avoid the transparent tops as well?
Although the C6 transparent tops are much better then they use to be on the earlier Vettes , they can still craze and crack. If you want more light, just take the stock top off......WW
Old 09-21-2016, 05:20 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Been a Corvette lover and owner for 50 years. Your gonna get many opinions on whats good and whats bad. Just keep that salt shaker handy. When you think you've found what you want...go for it and enjoy. Now heres a couple of my opinions just for the sake of all the opinions....the HUD is a novelty just like the paddles on an A6. The Bose stereo is a piece of C#$P....esp the auto volume feature, it works about as good as Mickey Thompsons in a snow storm....good luck !!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Do yourself a favor and sit in a 1LT car and see the differences first hand. I have a 1LT, and there isn't much I would miss aside from heated seats, and even then I would rather have an LS3 if that was the choice. The navigation system in these is not something to brag about. Its a pretty screen, but that's where it stops. The Bose is a minimal improvement on a poor sounding system from the start, but who needs a radio when you have V8 soundtrack to listen to? Also, consider the interior differences on the later years. Things like the console bezel are different and IMHO, looks better. Only you know what you want, but sit in both and compare. 30K miles is nothing for one of these and I believe the LS3 is a worthy "upgrade" if miles was the only decider.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Take this list with you when shopping for your car.

This info may or may not pertain to you, not knowing your knowledge of C6's....
Check list for shopping for a corvette from my observations reading posts here.
Check Harmonic crankshaft balancer for out of roundness and belt chirping noise.
Check for oil pan seeping issues, some seep but never leave a mark on the ground.
Pull the dip stick and note the color of the oil, as it should be light brown to a darker brown, but not gray, this could indicate metallic particles in the oil.
Check the radiator lower supports in the front as they can get damaged from close encounters with a curb and can break the welds loose.
Check for strong fuel odors around the left rear tire, as some have developed a fuel leaks at the left side fuel tank and/or the fuel pump assembly.
While idling the car, there should not be unusual rattling noises coming from underneath the car, as torque tube bearings and couplers can be bad with higher mileage cars.
While driving and releasing the clutch, be sure that transition is smooth with no chattering.
Stock clutches can last over a 100k miles, provided the operators have not abused it up until then.
Car should road test without squeaks and rattles, as I find mine as very quiet, only issue is the that targa tops can creak and is usually a easy fix.
Also the end links have been known to clunk over bumps, but another easy fix
Rear diff have been know to make chattering noises when turning sharply, but usually a gear oil change with the correct oil can solve this issue.
Axle nuts sometimes will become loose and can create creaking noises in the rear end, another easy fix.
Make sure that the ac and heat work and come out the correct vent when going through the operations of the controls. The bellows in the dash can go bad, and this is a rough job to do and expensive if done at the dealership.
Obviously the trans should shift smoothly, but while cold, they can be notchy but should shift better within 10 to 15 miles or so. Check the operation in going into reverse, as there is a synchronize that have given issues recently reported.
The first year 2005's do have a weaker rear end diff, and was updated with the next year models.
If you don't plan to mod the car, this is not really a issue though.
BTW I love my 06 Z51, no regrets and reliable so far as a DD.
Good luck with your quest...
The following 2 users liked this post by extrapilot:
arkentect (09-22-2016), C5 4me (09-26-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 AM
arkentect
Advanced

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Take this list with you when shopping for your car.

This info may or may not pertain to you, not knowing your knowledge of C6's....
Check list for shopping for a corvette from my observations reading posts here.
Check Harmonic crankshaft balancer for out of roundness and belt chirping noise.
Check for oil pan seeping issues, some seep but never leave a mark on the ground.
Pull the dip stick and note the color of the oil, as it should be light brown to a darker brown, but not gray, this could indicate metallic particles in the oil.
Check the radiator lower supports in the front as they can get damaged from close encounters with a curb and can break the welds loose.
Check for strong fuel odors around the left rear tire, as some have developed a fuel leaks at the left side fuel tank and/or the fuel pump assembly.
While idling the car, there should not be unusual rattling noises coming from underneath the car, as torque tube bearings and couplers can be bad with higher mileage cars.
While driving and releasing the clutch, be sure that transition is smooth with no chattering.
Stock clutches can last over a 100k miles, provided the operators have not abused it up until then.
Car should road test without squeaks and rattles, as I find mine as very quiet, only issue is the that targa tops can creak and is usually a easy fix.
Also the end links have been known to clunk over bumps, but another easy fix
Rear diff have been know to make chattering noises when turning sharply, but usually a gear oil change with the correct oil can solve this issue.
Axle nuts sometimes will become loose and can create creaking noises in the rear end, another easy fix.
Make sure that the ac and heat work and come out the correct vent when going through the operations of the controls. The bellows in the dash can go bad, and this is a rough job to do and expensive if done at the dealership.
Obviously the trans should shift smoothly, but while cold, they can be notchy but should shift better within 10 to 15 miles or so. Check the operation in going into reverse, as there is a synchronize that have given issues recently reported.
The first year 2005's do have a weaker rear end diff, and was updated with the next year models.
If you don't plan to mod the car, this is not really a issue though.
BTW I love my 06 Z51, no regrets and reliable so far as a DD.
Good luck with your quest...
AWESOME LIST!! thanks for the items. I've around cars my entire life and my father and I restore classic cars so I know what to look for when it comes to body work, and engine health, but these little items I would never even think to check.

Drove an 2010 LS3 with 22k miles on it last night. It was way out of my price range and the guy was asking too much to begin with. But I figured it was a good way for me to compare the LS2 and LS3. The LS3 is definitely fast, did I notice a huge difference? Not really, and I think for my use of the car (road use) I think either motor is more than plenty. I did notice that I couldn't stop smiling while driving both lol.

So I've narrowed my search down based on everyone's opinions and from the hours I've spent searching this forum. I'm looking for:

A Low Mileage 2006-2007 LS2 Narrow Body M6 (no preference on option level) Solid Color Targa Top. Color: White, Black, or Red

I think this is a great intro for me into the corvette world, and if I decide that later down the road I want more power, I'll mod the LS2 or upgrade to the LS3 or LS7. Nothing like having room to grow.

Last edited by arkentect; 09-22-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:47 AM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

As long as you get your color, transmission, and mileage preferences i think you will be very happy. Like you said you can always grow in power and the same holds true for the interior, so i wouldn't even concern myself with whether its a 1lt or 3lt.

Last edited by bgspot; 09-22-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:54 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Even though mine has all the options, I don't use them often other than the HUD.

I would lean towards a lower mileage vehicle no matter what type of ride I was buying.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:06 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The difference between the LS2 and the LS3 cars isn't a very big factor, if you get the Z51 option....If you read the thread at the bottom , it shows the actual certified LS2 HP ratings.. It shows that the LS2 engine was actually under rated by GM.. It also shows that the LS2 engine had a "real Certified HP"rating of 411 HP...They say this was done by GM so they wouldn't **** off the guys that bought the 2004 ZO6 cars,which had 405 HP , and then the very next year (2005) you could buy a base model Z51 which had more HP then their ZO6 .. Check out the statistics the guy has gathered. It shows that the LS2 and the LS3 aren't as far apart on HP as GM says they are....WW

Here is what they say the real Certified HP is for the C6 Cars...

2005 to 2007 C6 Z51 – 411 hp & 3179 lbs. (12.5 sec. @ 115 mph)

2008 Z51 with NPP exhaust – 436 hp & 3217 lbs. (12.4 sec. @ 117 mph

Read this..... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ls2-guys.html

Last edited by WW7; 09-23-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I have become used to my HUD and would miss it.. Also like the dual power seats.. I could give a rip about a heated seat as I live in the south..boy's up North probably feel different.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is this so hard!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:01 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub Mc
I have become used to my HUD and would miss it.. Also like the dual power seats.. I could give a rip about a heated seat as I live in the south..boy's up North probably feel different.
Not at all. I've never used them. Once the weather turns, the Vette goes into hibernation. No fun driving it in sub zero temps with snow, road salts and de-ice everywhere. I would get better use out of cooled seats.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The heated seats are definitely more important in a Vert...I love driving with the top down when it is cool outside and it's very comfortable with the heater on and the seats warm.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:08 PM
arkentect
Advanced

Originally Posted by cclive
The heated seats are definitely more important in a Vert...I love driving with the top down when it is cool outside and it's very comfortable with the heater on and the seats warm.
I'm not really a convertible kinda guy, and my GF hates her hair messed up so that would completely negate the reason for buying a vert lol.

Quick Reply: Why is this so hard!