C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 roof top creaking fix - updated latch hardware part numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C6 roof top creaking fix - updated latch hardware part numbers?

re: 2006 C6 coupe

A few years back I had my roof top replaced by GM for free due to the separation issue. At the time forgot to ask about getting updated roof latches / hardware installed etc to reduce the common roof creaking noise. Back then my roof had never creaked anyway.

My new roof now creaks a lot. I'd like to do whatever is necessary to reduce / eliminate creaking noises.

While I may (or may not) be entitled to free parts from GM, I'd much rather just buy the updated parts online so that I do not need to make a trip to the dealer and leave my car there.

Can anyone give me the part numbers of all *updated* C6 roof top latches / latch hardware that would be needed / necessary to eliminate the creak issue? Also, recommendations for an online GM part dealer that carries such parts?

I'm not sure exactly which parts had been updated... but it appears I still have all my original 2006 latch parts.

Thank you!

Last edited by Vet; 09-23-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
re: 2006 C6 coupe

A few years back I had my roof top replaced by GM for free due to the separation issue. At the time forgot to ask about getting updated roof latches / hardware installed etc to reduce the common roof creaking noise. Back then my roof had never creaked anyway.

My new roof now creaks a lot. I'd like to do whatever is necessary to reduce / eliminate creaking noises.

While I may (or may not) be entitled to free parts from GM, I'd much rather just buy the updated parts online so that I do not need to make a trip to the dealer and leave my car there.

Can anyone give me the part numbers of all *updated* C6 roof top latches / latch hardware that would be needed / necessary to eliminate the creak issue? Also, recommendations for an online GM part dealer that carries such parts?

I'm not sure exactly which parts had been updated... but it appears I still have all my original 2006 latch parts.

Thank you!
The original latches have a roller, and can slide from side to side, causing creaking etc.
The new latches is solid where the roller used to be. I would think that the GM part number for the latches would be of the new latches, not the old latches as they were replaced in either 2007 or 2008.

To stop the creaking, install an e-clip (3/16") on the side of the latch roller. This may fix your issue. Lube the roller as well.
Some actually put the soft Velcro portion where the roller sits to stop metal to metal contact.

Good Luck
Old 09-23-2016, 03:04 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Some background info on the change in latches.

Post #2 also has the new latch GM part numbers listed FYI

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...long-post.html
Old 09-23-2016, 03:08 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Those latches are VERY EXPENSIVE. You should try the DIY fixes first.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:22 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Shimming the roller like explained above fixed my creaking noise, no need to buy new locking levers.....WW
Old 09-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you guys for the very helpful info!!!!

I shall try the DIY fixes!

So this implies that the creaking comes mostly from the front latches. When inside my car, it almost sounds as if the creaking is coming from the rear edge of the roof, but I know it can be deceiving.

Have there been any updates to, or DIY tweaks for, the rear roof pins / sockets? Any reports of noise actually coming from the rear of the roof?

I remember reading here once that guys were putting some type of silicon lube on the roof weatherstrip and/or rear pins to cut down on creaking / squeaking. Thoughts?

In any case, for starters, I shall try the e-clips on the front latches... and perhaps velcro pads too... and see how that goes.

Again, thank you!!!

Last edited by Vet; 09-23-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:51 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

There's a YouTube video on this. It shows putting a GM lubricant on the rubber seals of the roof. I used vaseline on mine. Next they showed tightening down the locator pins with a deep socket and lubricating them with dielectric grease as well as the reciever sockets for them. I sprayed Superlube on the hinge points of the rear latch as well as the rollers on the front latches. I had a slight creak before this and never experienced one afterwards. In another search of mine I saw "O" rings installed over the locator pins for a tighter fit.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

HERE YOU GO...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ry-remedy.html

Post #18 is the video

Last edited by Joey D; 09-23-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Marconi7
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey D
HERE YOU GO...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ry-remedy.html

Post #18 is the video

I do what the video shows about every 6 months or so.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 roof top creaking fix - updated latch hardware part numbers?

Quick Reply: C6 roof top creaking fix - updated latch hardware part numbers?