C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:25 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Autos may be quicker, if this fact is important, but the manual is more fun.

Comes down to fun factor for me. If the difference between the two transmissions is that important, and it is a slight difference that most can not appreciate, then go with the boring one.

Now I understand that a percentage of drivers are unable to use the three pedal setup. this of course is another story.

Plus I have always felt that the manual gearbox is stronger than the autos, less trouble in the long run.
"FUN FACTOR" FOR ME IS JUST DRIVING MY CAR REGARDLESS THE TRANNY.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 PM
vcheng
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettemuscle1
so we're turning our sports cars into semi trucks? lol
Nothing new under the sun. Anybody remember this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...t_transmission

Old 09-28-2016, 03:01 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
The less people that don't know how to drive a manual means another anti-car jacking feature to me. In my pickup, nobody asks to borrow it because it's a manual. I love it, but it's sad people are losing this art form of driving. Then there's the excuse, that I might get stuck in traffic and my poor left leg might get a little sore. These clutches are so light they don't even take this into consideration. Wimps. I drive in the city all the time.
Wimps ??....Whimps ??....regardless, I resemble that remark. Mines an auto, but thats only cause low mileage and color were most important to me. I will agree though that the manual is the hottest way to go. But the one thing that is absolutely true about a manual is what a PITA they are to drive in stop and go traffic. I don't care how light the clutch is. Going through all that BS while waiting in heavy traffic is a royal pain !!.....
Old 09-28-2016, 03:24 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Comes down to fun factor for me. If the difference between the two transmissions is that important, and it is a slight difference that most can not appreciate, then go with the boring one....

I bought my cars to enjoy driving.

I won't buy an auto until a manual is no longer an option. In fact I've rejected car models that don't have a manual trans option.

The two I own now both have manuals, as every car I've purchased since 1990 had.

Last edited by dmk0210; 09-28-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

If the C8 turns out to be auto only, which as a mid-engine Supercar is highly likely, I will be shopping in time for my very last Corvette, a used C7 Grand Sport manual. Might be tough to find at only 23% of build.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Comes down to fun factor for me. If the difference between the two transmissions is that important, and it is a slight difference that most can not appreciate, then go with the boring one.

Now I understand that a percentage of drivers are unable to use the three pedal setup. this of course is another story.

Plus I have always felt that the manual gearbox is stronger than the autos, less trouble in the long run.
Been driving nothing but manuals (even the family cars) for the last 35 years. A lot of fun. Never had problems with commutes, traffic, whatever.

BUT -- I learned to drive a stick as an adult, and so I am really not that proficient. I cannot heel/toe. Under pressure (like an HDPE) I am not particularly quick shifting. So what am I getting at?

For FUN -- as long as it does not have that slushbox feel (and I'm told it doesn't; I'll have to test-drive one) -- I think the 8-speed in the C7, with quicker shifts than pretty much any human can do, locking clutches to impart a more mechanical "feel," paddle shifters, etc. may well be the better choice!

I have driven an advanced automatic in a Mazda and it really did have a much better feel than the automatics I occasionally put up with in rental cars, so I can only imagine what a performance-oriented 8-speed will feel like.

Just curious -- have you actually driven one of these modern automatics?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:20 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
the C7 has a new 8 speed that is really fast. I like shifting gears but there's more performance with the new auto.
Speed was not the reason for my manual tranny selection.. they are a bit more fun to drive .. kinda like sex with a crazy woman. Organism is faster with a sane woman..Fast is not always best.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
"FUN FACTOR" FOR ME IS JUST DRIVING MY CAR REGARDLESS THE TRANNY.
I don't find automagic to be fun. To me it ruins the whole point of a sports car.

To each their own though. If we were all the same, life would be pretty boring.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The Corvette is meant to be shifted. I enjoy ever shift.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:43 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Well lets see we have auto on headlights, rain sensing wipers, auto locks, park assist, power windows, cars that talk, cars that stop even before u hit the brakes, blind spot sensors, auto start, and now they are fazing out the manual transmission. Put these cars on rails, regulate the speed and they will be completely idiot proof smh. I have 5 cars my Corvette being the only manual of the bunch and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I drive my Corvette, anything else is just transportation lol.

Last edited by COMMANDER2OOO; 09-28-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:50 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd have to loose a limb to be forced in to an automatic, and even at that, I'd still try to drive a manual. My only auto equipped vehicle is my Tacoma. It's my commuter. Everything else has a MAN handle in the console!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:16 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

It's just more fun to me shifting gears with a clutch then using paddle shifters.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vcheng
Nothing new under the sun.
Nope, gonna install oneof these...12 forward gears...

The following users liked this post:
vcheng (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
BUT -- I learned to drive a stick as an adult, and so I am really not that proficient. I cannot heel/toe.
Heel/Toe is easy. It just takes a lot of practice and it is unique to each car because the pedals are different. I had to learn how to heel/toe my Corvette even though I did it all the time with my Miata and WRX.

Just practice by blipping the throttle every time you brake the car. It will be second nature in no time.

Last edited by dmk0210; 09-29-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

An automatic transmission is also heavier. If you have to get your gas tank fuel pumps replaced you also will be more grateful. At least for us that actually work on our cars. I have been stuck in traffic for up to 2.5 hours at a time in my truck which has a heavier clutch. Sure my left leg got a little sore. Nothing I can't handle. A little discomfort does'nt not mean my leg will fall off. I'm tough enough for that.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

My 03 C5 was a 6 sp manual and my 13 C6 is a 6 sp manual. Those cluthes are easy to deal with in traffic. I prefer manual trannys

My 68 Camaro is a 4 sp behind the 327/275 hp. Years ago I had a heavy duty cluth put in, yep dumb. It wore my leg out in traffic. This summer I had a OEM regular cluth put in, wow it is now fun to drive. I have owned this car its whole life all 205K miles and 48'years. Manual steering, manual brakes, and a 4 sp manual tranny test your strength.

The modern day cluthes are so easy and soft as compared to the old cluthes. You can feel the cluth engage with the old style cluth but not with the new ones. My wife laghs at me because I kll the vette too often, but I can not remember the last time I killed the Camaro. Maybe it is the 205K miles and knowing the car so well for so long. It only goes to car shows now so very little driving.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:43 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Good !

I am both surprised and PLEASED that as many as 23% of the C7 buyers are selecting the manual transmission. Shifting and using the clutch pedal are skills that are going away rapidly.

I went through the no-clutch-assist-spring and the C5-clutch-assist-spring phases and went back to the stock c6-clutch-assist-spring and have learned to like it. Practice makes (close to) perfect .

Get notified of new replies

To manual transmission

Old 09-30-2016, 02:36 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

I have always felt a "sports car" was a manual since I was a little kid. My '69 is a 4 speed and my '12 is a manual. To me the enjoyment of grabbing a gear is so satisfying and puts the biggest smile on my face! I also really enjoy down shifting the car prior to a turn and throwing the car into a turn or tapping the clutch to slide the rear. Sure you can down shift with a paddle but its something about the action of shifting that makes it so much fun.

I remember being a little kid in the arcade, I would always gravitate to the car games and more so to the ones that had a shifter! As mentioned I think the art of shifting is going away, sure these new autos are faster but not everyone is a "real" driver and racing daily. Most are daily drivers or weekend toys so who cares if the auto is a little faster. I really laugh when I see these younger kids posting video of people shifting and they say "no lift shift" like its a new thing!!!! I only know this type of shifting and its called "power shifting"! I grew up around old muscle and sitting next to my pops who can bang a gear like no ones business! To me that feeling is worth it and i will always opt for a manual in a sports car thats a toy.

Maybe its a generational thing or how I was raised plus neither of my vettes are daily drivers. I could not imgaine either of my vettes being an Auto. My Buick Grand National is really fun and really fast but its just different, however a manual in that car would not feel right. Besides trying to take a turn in the GN I might scrub the door handles off lol!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:28 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Manual all the way for me --

(50 years from now the corvetteforum will be having this discussion about steering wheels.)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:11 AM
06orangeZ51
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Manual trans for this guy only! When shopping for my car I passed up several cars due to the fact they were automatics. To me muscle will always be synonymous with banging gears... plus driving a stick car you're more in control. Is she getting a little sideways? shove the clutch in..

I really laugh when I see these younger kids posting video of people shifting and they say "no lift shift" like its a new thing!!!! I only know this type of shifting and its called "power shifting"!
AMEN to this! I was a pretty damn quick power shifter years back..I'm scared $hitless to power shift the 'vette though (at least until I get a MGW or Hinson shifter). Broken parts are expensive!

My 68 Camaro is a 4 sp behind the 327/275 hp. Years ago I had a heavy duty cluth put in, yep dumb. It wore my leg out in traffic. This summer I had a OEM regular cluth put in, wow it is now fun to drive. I have owned this car its whole life all 205K miles and 48'years. Manual steering, manual brakes, and a 4 sp manual tranny test your strength.
Yep! Had a manual rack in my 87 T/A-with a 245 tire up front and a spool out back-took some effort to drive! The newer hydraulic clutch release systems make the modern stick cars a breeze to drive compared to the old cable systems...

Quick Reply: manual transmission