C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's official! GM clearly has a "run out the clock" warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:57 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default It's official! GM clearly has a "run out the clock" warranty

After numerous calls with GM Customer Experience to try to resolve the ongoing electrical issues with my Vette, this is what they have consistently stated:
1) Yes, we acknowledge that the electrical issues you're having started when the car had a full year of warranty left.
2) Yes, we acknowledge that you repeatedly took your Vette into two different local authorized GM repair centers in an attempt to get it resolved.
3) Yes, we acknowledge that the root cause was never found, hence never repaired.
4) No, we can't fix this for you now because your warranty has expired and it's not our problem. Have a nice day!

Can you guess which company has permanently lost my business?
The following 2 users liked this post by GCRoberts:
Amicon (09-30-2016), BillytheKidder (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:04 PM
surfinshorte
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I work at a car dealership, (not Chevy) on both visits to the dealer did they ever verify the problem and attempt to fix it? Or was it a cannot verify problem both times?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by surfinshorte
I work at a car dealership, (not Chevy) on both visits to the dealer did they ever verify the problem and attempt to fix it? Or was it a cannot verify problem both times?
It was multiple visits.....probably around 6 or 7 in total to two different dealerships. Only one time was the car exhibiting the symptoms when I brought it in. I showed the service manager the message on the display. He turned off the car and scanned for codes and the scanner returned absolutely nothing....and I watched him do the scan. Most other times, they would be scanning based on me reporting that it had just happened in the last few hours (or day in some cases). The scans would show random data (mostly body codes). Of course, when it was under warranty, they wouldn't bother swapping out anything based on the body codes because they thought it was a symptom of a low voltage....and they were probably right. When you have an issue like this, they tell you when it happens, bring it right in....don't bother making an appointment. But all that really gets you is another diagnostic scan by whoever they can spare to come out and do it.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 PM
surfinshorte
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

By the way your making it sound is that they did not generate a repair order (I am a service advisor BTW) No repair order = no documentation which is a HUGE NO NO. We get in trouble if we do that here. Sounds like they verified the problem but it was an intermittent failure. Meaning they reset the system and cleared the light and recommended to monitor. If they did make a repair order then there is a trail of the compliant with verification and with my company depending on how long you have been out of warranty sometimes they will goodwill it. 6-7 visits with all those repair orders if they verified it every single time and didn't fix your problem then Chevy should step up. If no repair orders were made that is dealership error.

I wonder if they ever called their help tech line if they have one. I'm sure they do. That many visits under warranty techline should have been contacted and possibly the DPSM (district parts and service manager). Just some info for you.. but might be dealer fault or maybe their customer service is exactly what you say.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by surfinshorte
By the way your making it sound is that they did not generate a repair order (I am a service advisor BTW) No repair order = no documentation which is a HUGE NO NO. We get in trouble if we do that here. Sounds like they verified the problem but it was an intermittent failure. Meaning they reset the system and cleared the light and recommended to monitor. If they did make a repair order then there is a trail of the compliant with verification and with my company depending on how long you have been out of warranty sometimes they will goodwill it. 6-7 visits with all those repair orders if they verified it every single time and didn't fix your problem then Chevy should step up. If no repair orders were made that is dealership error.

I wonder if they ever called their help tech line if they have one. I'm sure they do. That many visits under warranty techline should have been contacted and possibly the DPSM (district parts and service manager). Just some info for you.. but might be dealer fault or maybe their customer service is exactly what you say.
There were times that repair orders were generated, and times that they weren't. When I've argued this with GM, I've only argued based on repair orders that were actually generated....and those easily predate the warranty expiration. And apparently, they should have contacted GM for more assistance than they did. GM Customer Experience tried to put that back on me at one point, claiming that I should have forced the service centers to escalate this issue. And I know the service center had support from a GM engineer the last time I took it in....on my dime! And they still couldn't figure it out. The engineer said there's probably a short in the wiring somewhere (he actually called it a "shaved" wire to be accurate). At this point, I've got around $800 of my own money into a repair that any honorable company would cover....and it's still not fixed.

I've really resisted taking legal action, giving GM every opportunity to handle this ethically. But unfortunately, I think the time has come. Luckily NYS has strict lemon laws from what I've heard.

Last edited by GCRoberts; 09-29-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe you should call your local news people. That will get their attention.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by CadVette
Maybe you should call your local news people. That will get their attention.
I've thought about that, but it's not me. Legal action isn't me either, that's why I've resisted so long. But if I let this ride over the winter while my Vette is stored away, I'm worried that GM will look at that as 4 months where I didn't report the problem.

I totally understand why GM (or any car manufacturer) would want to play hardball when someone is trying to get warranty work covered after the warranty has expired, but this is clearly a case where they couldn't resolve the issue when it was in warranty. I can't believe I'm even having to argue this with them.

This is painful too, other than the stupid issues I've had with this specific Vette, I LOVE Vettes. But as a matter of principal, I'll never give GM another dime of my money if they screw me over. I don't think I can justify the expense of a Porsche, I guess I'll have to settle for a Dodge Challenger or Ford Mustang...UGH!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:54 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Trust me Porsche has problems as well. Like intermediate shaft bearing failures and rear main seals going out. Not to mention the extra cost. My last Mustang burned up due to an electrical fire. I still can't wrap my head around buying a Fiat (Challenger). Fix it all the time and fix it again Tony issues for sure. I hope you can find a way to get your car fixed soon. Be persistent and you will find a way.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you talked to the GM Factory Rep for your area?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:59 PM
grandsportgirl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call GM Directly

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Have you talked to the GM Factory Rep for your area?
Call GM at (800) 222-1020 and open up a ticket and get a case number. Isn't there a lemon law in NY? How many miles are on the vehicle? Di you purchase it brand new or used?
Old 09-30-2016, 12:02 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
I've thought about that, but it's not me. Legal action isn't me either, that's why I've resisted so long. But if I let this ride over the winter while my Vette is stored away, I'm worried that GM will look at that as 4 months where I didn't report the problem.

I totally understand why GM (or any car manufacturer) would want to play hardball when someone is trying to get warranty work covered after the warranty has expired, but this is clearly a case where they couldn't resolve the issue when it was in warranty. I can't believe I'm even having to argue this with them.

This is painful too, other than the stupid issues I've had with this specific Vette, I LOVE Vettes. But as a matter of principal, I'll never give GM another dime of my money if they screw me over. I don't think I can justify the expense of a Porsche, I guess I'll have to settle for a Dodge Challenger or Ford Mustang...UGH!!!
VIPER!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:04 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Out of curiosity, what IS the problem?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I seldom say "lawyer" but in this case....I say "lawyer." And, for all I know, it may be a little late because w/in the warranty period is different from beyond it. And, yes, I do understand the issue started during that period.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I think the problem here is with the dealers instead of GM in general.

I used to have an 03 Monte Carlo with a GM extended warranty. I brought the car to a GM certified shop multiple times because of harsh noise coming from the top end of the engine, but they were never able to duplicate what I was hearing. Finally, after my warranty had expired due to 2k miles over the 60k it covered, the top end self-destructed and I was barely able to drive the car to the shop just a couple blocks from my house. They called GM, explained that I had been bringing the car in repeatedly for top end noise, and GM agreed to replace the engine. The entire cost was covered by GM and I was one happy customer.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:45 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by grandsportgirl
Call GM at (800) 222-1020 and open up a ticket and get a case number. Isn't there a lemon law in NY? How many miles are on the vehicle? Di you purchase it brand new or used?
I've had a case number opened up for weeks. The statements I made in the opening post are from GM....not the authorized service centers.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Out of curiosity, what IS the problem?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ty-policy.html
Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
I've had a case number opened up for weeks. The statements I made in the opening post are from GM....not the authorized service centers.
Ask for a manager, and if necessary, the manager's manager. As long as the dealers documented your visits and what you were bringing the car in for the warranty should cover it.

Get notified of new replies

To It's official! GM clearly has a "run out the clock" warranty

Old 09-30-2016, 08:48 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I think the problem here is with the dealers instead of GM in general.

I used to have an 03 Monte Carlo with a GM extended warranty. I brought the car to a GM certified shop multiple times because of harsh noise coming from the top end of the engine, but they were never able to duplicate what I was hearing. Finally, after my warranty had expired due to 2k miles over the 60k it covered, the top end self-destructed and I was barely able to drive the car to the shop just a couple blocks from my house. They called GM, explained that I had been bringing the car in repeatedly for top end noise, and GM agreed to replace the engine. The entire cost was covered by GM and I was one happy customer.
And that's exactly what should be happening with me. The dealers haven't been able to fix it, and GM should step to the plate and get this resolved.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Warranty

If the issue was reported and logged while the car was under warranty then it's covered regardless. Fight it.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
I seldom say "lawyer" but in this case....I say "lawyer." And, for all I know, it may be a little late because w/in the warranty period is different from beyond it. And, yes, I do understand the issue started during that period.
I think you're right. In the end, I just want to be treated fairly and with the respect that I've earned by making the purchase. If they could just resolve the issue, I could probably even forgive the fact that I've spent approx $800 of my own money to resolve a warranty issue. But GM will NOT admit they have any responsibility to fix the issue. The most they will ever offer is that if I keep taking it to authorized dealers and keep spending money on more and more diagnostics.....that maybe they could help cover a small portion of the expense. I could spend thousands of dollars on those diagnostics and get nowhere!

Quick Reply: It's official! GM clearly has a "run out the clock" warranty