C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch chatter and high release point ....coincidence??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:17 AM
LOW11GS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clutch chatter and high release point ....coincidence??

I've noticed lately thet i hear a lot more clutch chatter in 1st and 2nd gear going from a complete stop but once i hit 3rd gear it goes away. I am also noticing the release point in the clutch pedal is almost at the top, meaning you barely have to push the pedal in at all to get the clutch to release, it use to be closer to the ground. I'm thinking it may be time to replace it. Anyone else have this problem? and if so, did you replace it with a stock clutch from GM or go aftermarket ?

Last edited by LOW11GS; 10-04-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by LOW11GS
I've noticed lately thet i hear a lot more clutch chatter in 1st and 2nd gear going from a complete stop but once i hit 3rd gear it goes away. I am also noticing the release point in the clutch pedal is almost at the top, meaning you barely have to push the pedal in at all to get the clutch to release, it use to be closer to the ground. I'm thinking it may be time to replace it. Anyone else have this problem? and if so, did you replace it with a stock clutch from GM or go aftermarket ?
How many miles? Are those miles mostly city or highway? Any mods?

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 10-04-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:05 AM
LOW11GS
Instructor

It just rolled over 60k miles, all mods are very minor, no cam or power adder, the miles are a good mix of city and highway
Old 10-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Blindfingers
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

My 2008 has the same high release point but no chatter. The high release point came after the clutch master failed and the dealer replaced the MC back in 2013.

I complained this again this past summer after the TSB came out on the clutch MC and the dealer changed the old MC out for the new part number but the release remains very high. Some on here say that my clutch is now acting correctly but compared to my other two Vettes, no it ain't.

I'm wondering if there was damage to the slave as there is no adjustment in the system.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:24 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have put a little over 39K on my '07 since I purchased it in 2014. It has always had a slightly high release point, but makes no noise that I am aware of. It actually feels very similar to what I remember my C5 stock clutch was like. So I have not thought about it too much. Since I purchased it with 10K miles, I'm assuming it's the OEM stock clutch.

Do you have any problems with it being in neutral (say at a light where it may be for a minute or three) and then just pressing the clutch in and moving it to 1st?

I have always felt the clutch on the Vette was a little odd, but it seems to work fine, so I don't really think about it too much.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:25 AM
LOW11GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blindfingers
My 2008 has the same high release point but no chatter. The high release point came after the clutch master failed and the dealer replaced the MC back in 2013.

I complained this again this past summer after the TSB came out on the clutch MC and the dealer changed the old MC out for the new part number but the release remains very high. Some on here say that my clutch is now acting correctly but compared to my other two Vettes, no it ain't.

I'm wondering if there was damage to the slave as there is no adjustment in the system.
See, that's what im thinking. This isn't my first vette and all my others were manual trans as well, they all released closer to the floor and had no noise in the lower gears. May be time to upgrade to a good aftermarket clutch
Old 10-04-2016, 11:27 AM
LOW11GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by bhoch
I have put a little over 39K on my '07 since I purchased it in 2014. It has always had a slightly high release point, but makes no noise that I am aware of. It actually feels very similar to what I remember my C5 stock clutch was like. So I have not thought about it too much. Since I purchased it with 10K miles, I'm assuming it's the OEM stock clutch.

Do you have any problems with it being in neutral (say at a light where it may be for a minute or three) and then just pressing the clutch in and moving it to 1st?

I have always felt the clutch on the Vette was a little odd, but it seems to work fine, so I don't really think about it too much.

It's a little stiff going into 1st at a light. 9 out of 10 times i put it in 1st then back to neutral then back in 1st again, when i do that it slide right into 1st no problems

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch chatter and high release point ....coincidence??

Quick Reply: Clutch chatter and high release point ....coincidence??