C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to give up on Corvette Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 PM
mark62933
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About to give up on Corvette Club

I am at my wits end. I am the Road Captain for our local Corvette Club and no matter what type of ride I plan I can never get more than 4 or 5 cars to show up. I have planed short rides (about 30 miles round trip), long rides (4 hours each way), Saturday rides, Sunday rides and week day rides and no luck. I love the idea of being with a club but I am about decided that we are just going to go Nomad and not worry anymore. Anyone else have this issuse with getting people together for rides? Any help would be great. Thanks (My term is up next month and I am 99% sure I am not going to run for office again)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:23 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

4 or 5 is better than none.
The following users liked this post:
jackhall99 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:35 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

you can get some of the people all the time. You can get all of the people some of the time. You will never get all the people all the time.

Being a member of all sorts of different clubs over many years I can tell you that everyone has their own agenda and their own wants and needs from a club experience. Not everyone wants to do everything with the group all of the time and not everyone has time to spend to just go for a ride. Some people would rather sit in a parking lot on a sunny day, admire their purchase and talk with other enthusiasts while others may want to drive and see new things.

Long story short, if you enjoy the company of the ones that attend then what difference does it make how many more show up.

If you would like more to show up then you could try sharing the load. Ask for volunteers to make a ride plan for the group. See if that makes a difference in who shows up. Maybe make a drive with a destination to eat or socialize.

If it is the same thing every time then there is no new experience and that creates boredom.

At the end of the day it is all about fun times and good memories.
BrknWndC6 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:37 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

that is one of the drawbacks of being an "officer" or "event lead" for clubs............. you can only offer opportunities, can't force them to participate................ know and feel your pain, but if there are other functions the club does together with more participation and you are willing to share in them, then it may be best to stay a member and just participate..........
Old 10-08-2016, 06:51 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

I personally rather have your 4 or 5 vars vice 15.or 20. Logistics are a nightmare
Old 10-08-2016, 07:04 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Sir

My wife and I have been members of our local Corvette club in central Virginia for the last 14 years and I have been president for the last 8 years. We do not have a dedicated member that is in charge of setting up cruises but I encourage any member to plan activities for the club but always keep their expectations realistic and if there is a small turn out do not take it personally. I know that is difficult and it sounds like you try very hard to plan good activities and you rightly expect members to turn out. I would suggest you speak with your club officers and or some long time members and ask them if this is normal for your particular club.

Our club currently has 71 memberships representing 126 people. We have monthly meetings and average 40 to 50 people in attendance. Our normal day cruises have 8 to 15 cars, overnights 6 to 12. Not sure how average we are but I feel we have a good club and a great bunch of people.

Please do not give up and good luck.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:46 PM
sunburstLS3
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Several years ago I thought I'd join a meetup group (non-corvette, just people) to get out more and make more friends. Found a huge group that met up at an entertainment district nearby. I got all jazzed up one night, got some cash for drinks, headed out to the bar where everyone was meeting and I ended up sitting by myself all night. Out of like 15 to 20 people that reserved, nobody showed up. It was bizarre, I felt like a complete idiot.

It's like everyone is telepathically connected or something. People always do everything at the same time. Either a 100 people show up at a place, or no one shows up. People are bandwagon people today. They only do what someone else is doing and so forth.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:48 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

As mentioned, people join car clubs for a variety of reasons. Some like car shows, racing their rides, show & shine events, monthly parking lot get together at various food joints, or ice cream parlours, others like driving their cars on small day trips, or overnight trips.
Others join because they have a friend in the club, but rarely participate in any events. The car clubs that offer discount on parts (ie: wholesale +10%) from a local dealership usually attract more members, but not necessarily those that want to actually participate in planned events.
They join only to get parts discounts.
For whatever reason, any event that finishes with a meal or ice cream often get the most participation, so much so, that one would think that the club crest should have a fork and knife rather than the corvette flags
I joined a local corvette club when I first bought my car, but after a year, I just wasn't that enthused about participating in the car club scene as I had been in my much younger days as part of the local Trans Am Club, in which I attended each and every event that was planned by the committee.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:59 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mark62933
I am at my wits end. I am the Road Captain for our local Corvette Club and no matter what type of ride I plan I can never get more than 4 or 5 cars to show up. I have planed short rides (about 30 miles round trip), long rides (4 hours each way), Saturday rides, Sunday rides and week day rides and no luck.
Maybe there are too many rides? If there are fewer, more people might make the effort.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:15 PM
mark62933
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Maybe there are too many rides? If there are fewer, more people might make the effort.
I plan two rides a month? A short one and a longer one. Still no turn out. I ask at meetings and everyone is hyped about going then the day of ride many no shows. Food and/or ice cream is always planed on the ride.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:03 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Two a month seems like a lot -- How about one every second month, for a total of six per year? If you want to do more, make them less formal, so the regulars will continue to attend but you won't feel bad.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM
mark62933
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Two a month seems like a lot -- How about one every second month, for a total of six per year? If you want to do more, make them less formal, so the regulars will continue to attend but you won't feel bad.
Here in the Midwest we only get about 8 months of driving because of the salt trucks. So I try and get as many miles as I can.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:40 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Road Captain?
Old 10-08-2016, 09:43 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by mark62933
Here in the Midwest we only get about 8 months of driving because of the salt trucks. So I try and get as many miles as I can.

agree with the weather, and trying to get drive time or mileage accumulation.

as mentioned above, club members all have different reasons to participate or not, and yes sometimes stating they will attend and then not show up, even in good weather.....

our club has about 85 memberships, couples or families, and usually about 40% head south / southwest for the winter............... we still hold events year round, for those who are here in MI, and attendance at monthly meetings may be reduced by 20% at best.................

some people only attend certain events at certain locations...
only see them once or twice a year...
don't ever try to figure them out,

just join for the camaraderie, possible friendships, and enjoy the activities that interest you, and you choose to participate in!

interested in a long road trip summer of '17???
PM me for details................................. .......
Old 10-08-2016, 10:03 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

The key to avoid these kind of situations is to not join clubs.
A Corvette club would have to be the worst. Maybe flowed in close second by a Harley owning group of tools.

You buy an American sports car then hang out with other folks who have too much expendable income...

I find more enjoyment talking to random Corvette owners who actually drive their cars.
If you have over 100K miles on your car, I am sure you are a much more interesting Corvette owner than the guy who just polishes a plastic car and rolls it back into the garage.

I have a friend who drives his Vette several times a week over the Cherohala Skyway. I could sit and talk to him all day, and almost have.
There is more to owning a Vette than cleaning it and driving to a bar to hang out with other Zaino users.
I have yet to polish my Corvette. It is a GO car not a SHOW car.

Just go enjoy your car.
The food tastes better when you don't have to sit and listen to the same story about Joe's grand children for the fiftieth time.
Fast Cars & Horses (10-10-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:09 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
A Corvette club would have to be the worst. Maybe flowed in close second by a Harley owning group of tools.

You buy an American sports car then hang out with other folks who have too much expendable income...

I find more enjoyment talking to random Corvette owners who actually drive their cars.
If you have over 100K miles on your car, I am sure you are a much more interesting Corvette owner than the guy who just polishes a plastic car and rolls it back into the garage.

I have a friend who drives his Vette several times a week over the Cherohala Skyway. I could sit and talk to him all day, and almost have.
There is more to owning a Vette than cleaning it and driving to a bar to hang out with other Zaino users.

Just go enjoy your car.
The food tastes better when you don't have to sit and listen to the same story about Joe's grand children for the fiftieth time.
I like driving mine way more than I like sitting around talking about them. I understand how some people like the club scene, whether it's for social interaction, or being a part of a group, but it's not for me. I enjoy many road trips each year under my terms, and not being a follower.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 10-08-2016 at 10:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
Fast Cars & Horses (10-10-2016), Itshakes (10-09-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:21 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC

Just go enjoy your car.
^^^^ this

Or just post your trip in our regional section of the forum. Last month another forum member said he was cruising the Georgia mountains and if people wanted to cruise. We drove 4 hours and hooked up with them. There were around 20 cars and most people had never even met each other before. We had a great time.

Get notified of new replies

To About to give up on Corvette Club

Old 10-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

of course, I can't resist the temptation to quote Groucho Marx...

"PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".
Old 10-08-2016, 10:43 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Join. Cars nd coffee group..they do what your looking for once. Month or so...

Planning two. Month is too many....

Good luck
Old 10-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

How many members in your club? My club has over 40 cars, I plan all the events, like you, I have 2 per month, I usually have 10 cars to go on the road trips. If it is a big event, I can get up to 14 cars. Like another member told me once, plan the different events, not everybody can make them all, but they will make the ones they can! Hope that helps?

Quick Reply: About to give up on Corvette Club