C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue just need some verification

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:15 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starting issue just need some verification

Hey ya'll.

Went to start my 07 Z06 and it went click click and nothing. After a few more times trying to start it the clicking wouldn't even start and it said service needed soon/anti-lock brakes, I tried disconnecting the battery and the same thing with an occasional key FOB not found error. I put the key FOB in manually and still no start. I don't drive the car much but I just bought it 2 months ago with the same battery it came with. I did some searching and it seems like it might be the battery, and that I should have a tender. The only thing throwing me off is the service vehicle error and the fact that the cluster sweeps and one of my headlights works and my parking lots turn on. I am thinking there is enough juice to turn on lights but maybe not crank the car? Also the doors locked me in too so it really is sounding like a battery issue. A few weeks I went to start the car and it was a little tough to start and I figured it was a battery being dead.

I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track with things. Any tips would be useful. I've done a bit of searching but most of the threads ended with debating and the OP never came back to update the thread. I had a similar issue with my C5 and it was a battery.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited by KIMCHI; 10-10-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Speed07
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Definitely sounds like your battery. These cars do some weird things when the battery is low. I'd pull it and get it checked.
The following users liked this post:
KIMCHI (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Thanks Speed07! I figured that much. When my C5 died it was weird as heck all sorts of weird things. My boost gauge worked but my radio didn't, half the dash worked, one light worked, and the car wouldn't click. This reminded me much of that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time and money on a battery. Off to Autozone!

I think I need a tender too. I work from home and don't drive much so sitting can't help the car.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by KIMCHI
Thanks Speed07! I figured that much. When my C5 died it was weird as heck all sorts of weird things. My boost gauge worked but my radio didn't, half the dash worked, one light worked, and the car wouldn't click. This reminded me much of that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time and money on a battery. Off to Autozone!

I think I need a tender too. I work from home and don't drive much so sitting can't help the car.
You're on the right track!
I work from home too and always have mine on a tender since I don't drive it much.
KIMCHI (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The battery and it's connections (battery posts, solenoid connectors) and grounds are a great place to start with. A C6 is very finicky when it comes to low voltage on a battery. It will give all kinds of weird alarms, lights etc.
Hopefully it is just a weak battery, possibly because of a shorted cell.
The batteries, if they go below 80% capacity, tend to short cells when recharged. All the corrosion on the plates when recharging, get shocked off, falls to the bottom and shorts out the cells. As the battery ages, this becomes more of a problem. Corrosion in a lead acid battery is unavoidable, but a battery that stays charged to close to 100% capacity at all times last much longer.
This is why a battery tender is a must for a C6.

Good Luck...and report back on any findings or solutions.
KIMCHI (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVRose
You're on the right track!
I work from home too and always have mine on a tender since I don't drive it much.
Which tender do you use? I want to get the best one possible for the money. I drive my car maybe 2 times a week at the most.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Which tender do you use? I want to get the best one possible for the money. I drive my car maybe 2 times a week at the most.
I have the CTEK 3300 with the optional cig lighter adapter so it plugs into the center console power outlet.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:44 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

The CTEK is a good battery tender. I opted for the Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I've had it for 7 years, use it for the C6 from Nov to April, then use it to keep my golf cart battery topped up from May to November.

You can't go wrong with either brand IMO

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 10-10-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:33 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Now i gotta figure out how to get this thing out of the box. Did GM put the battery in and go, OK now lets put the cables on!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Now i gotta figure out how to get this thing out of the box. Did GM put the battery in and go, OK now lets put the cables on!
Can't help you there. My battery is under the hood.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:05 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Just hook it up to a tender and charge up the battery. It probably just needs charging. No need to take it out of the car, unless its several years old (battery, not car).
KIMCHI (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:08 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

The battery is really old. I took it to get tested and its beyond saving. Any tips on getting this out of the box? I have tried a bunch of methods and it just won't come out.

Thanks again for all the help guys and gals.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:21 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Battery for sure. The battery is the first thing to check with any electrical problem.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

I am going to install it tomorrow. I am doing some reading on how to remove it and I'm exhausted from the day. I tried to jump it with my 2015 STI and the car had like 11v going through it and it was a "thats your problem!" moment.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:41 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

I am going to install it tomorrow. I am doing some reading on how to remove it and I'm exhausted from the day. I tried to jump it with my 2015 STI and the car had like 11v going through it and it was a "thats your problem!" moment.
This link may well help you out in removing your battery from the compartment box.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f62/c...nstall-115727/

Good luck
Old 10-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

The battery is really old. I took it to get tested and its beyond saving. Any tips on getting this out of the box? I have tried a bunch of methods and it just won't come out.
You're using a battery strap?
If not you're in for some bloody knuckles & a lot of frustration.
Ask me how I know.
Must tuck one cable into hole, lift cell straight out. Real PITA on a Z.
Some members tried a vice grip on each pole, others used duct tape, a $2.50 lifting strap was my choice.

BTW even the cheapest Fleet-Farm tender's better than none, one's extra important in hot climates + infrequent operation. Tho' cold's just as hard on C6 batteries, if parked for prolonged periods.

FWIW my C's on a tender whenever not driven, w/ no exceptions.
Selling dealer sold me a leftover '08 3/09. Car had sat over a year, needed a power pak to start for test drive.
Next day deader than a doornail, said dealer sent a SALES guy to my home w/ a new Delco. Kid installed it & I watched, wasn't pretty.

Due solely to using a tender I've not experienced a single issue w/ batteries since the first incident.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:44 AM
KIMCHI
Advanced

The trick was taking the interior piece that runs along the back of the trunk. That allowed me to pull the plastic surround from the battery, move the cables and vent out of the way, and then I was able to slip some shoelaces under the battery and fashion a net to lift the battery out. Success! Battery came right out but I noticed the old battery didn't even have the vent hooked up!!! The previous owner must not have realized it came off. I plugged the vent back in put the battery back in the track, plugged it up, and bam car started like a champ!

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Landru (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 10:19 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Plugging a tender into the cig lighter plug makes sense when the battery is in the back...

Get notified of new replies

To Starting issue just need some verification

Quick Reply: Starting issue just need some verification