C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Gumbys

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 04:18 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Chrome Gumbys

I have chrome gumbys with the barrels painted grey. I had one off today cleaning the inside and noticed that the inside of the wheels are chromed under the grey paint. This is the way they came on the car originally from the factory.

Question is, has any one stripped the paint off the inside to expose the chrome?

Is this a valid idea or should I just repaint the the insides or at least the places where the old weights took off the paint and other places where the paint is coming off.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I painted a friend of mines Gumby's. The barrels were shiny, but certainly not chrome. Make sure they are actually chrome before you take the paint off. I painted the barrels of his wheels black and they look great.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The entire wheel is chromed...very hard to do only part...but the barrels are not polished like the outside of the wheel is, so the look is not the very shiny chrome finish. The look is more like the chrome on a rough box wrench...it's the surface that is being chromed that makes the difference in the looks.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:26 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

OK, that is what I was thinking. Where the paint is coming off you can see the tooling marks where the inside was finished on a lathe.

Going to finish the inside in some way because of the narrow spokes the inside is easily visible.

Just got the car (2009 Base) and I know they have never been cleaned.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:41 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by dndrsn
Question is, has any one stripped the paint off the inside to expose the chrome?

Is this a valid idea or should I just repaint the insides or at least the places where the old weights took off the paint and other places where the paint is coming off.[/
Yes.

A quick forum search pulls up these threads. You could paint the barrels black so you don't have to worry about matching the existing gray paint.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...me-gumbys.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...gs-wheels.html

Last edited by jbc1995fb; 11-04-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:41 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by dndrsn
I have chrome gumbys with the barrels painted grey. I had one off today cleaning the inside and noticed that the inside of the wheels are chromed under the grey paint. This is the way they came on the car originally from the factory.

Is this a valid idea or should I just repaint the the insides or at least the places where the old weights took off the paint and other places where the paint is coming off.
There was one member who removed the paint and went with the chrome. It looked really good from the photos but I can't seem to find thread.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:13 PM
triple black c4
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default rims

I did a set and it was not real difficult but I found on the rear rims that the rim had been machined and had an area about 11/2 inches wide and the length of the rim that didn't have any chrome on it so I used some chrome paint on them and it turned out pretty well. I don't have any pictures of them but they turned out fair.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:37 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of the GM 7 spoke accessory wheels which like the Gumby's are chrome. I switched back to my original Comp Grey wheels and plan to sell the 7 spokes.
I started cleaning them up and removed the wheel weights which left an adhesive residue on them. Needless to say do not use a solvent to remove the residue as it also removes/softens the paint. I would like to repair the paint and would like to know what kind of paint was used by GM, numbers, technique, etc.
The paint is light gray and flat finish and needs to stick to chrome.

Thanks in advance.

btw I realize I could have started a thread but since both wheels are similar and maybe someone else has a similar question I posted it here.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Bump for post # 8.

Silver Paint color matching.

FWIW I have always found difficulties finding off the shelf "spray can, touch up brush" silvers that will match wheels.

So I would also like to know what silver matches a GM vette wheel barrel.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
I have a set of the GM 7 spoke accessory wheels which like the Gumby's are chrome. I switched back to my original Comp Grey wheels and plan to sell the 7 spokes.
I started cleaning them up and removed the wheel weights which left an adhesive residue on them. Needless to say do not use a solvent to remove the residue as it also removes/softens the paint. I would like to repair the paint and would like to know what kind of paint was used by GM, numbers, technique, etc.
The paint is light gray and flat finish and needs to stick to chrome.

Thanks in advance.

btw I realize I could have started a thread but since both wheels are similar and maybe someone else has a similar question I posted it here.
Anyone?

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome Gumbys

Quick Reply: Chrome Gumbys