C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light cover ticket

Old 11-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
I mean in 2016, where knowledge is just a quick search away, ignorance is a choice..
Those were Internet ads, not the law, and I'll take my time spent as a LEO over your ads any day.

I wont be in court anytime soon, considering ive day in front cops, sherriffs, boarder patrol, highway patrol multiple times without so much as a warning. Hmmm i wonder....
"Car isnt street legal its your fault" thats pretty much the worse interperation of the law i have ever seen.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:10 PM
turboed350z
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Those were Internet ads, not the law, and I'll take my time spent as a LEO over your ads any day.

I dont think you understand the difference between ads and actual website with lawyers...

So youre telling me, i can be doing 100mph, running a stop sign as you turn left onto my street, and since YOU have tinted lights its your fault i hit you? Great ill be hitting ever car with tints lights for insurance pay out from now on.... lol again, maybe you should try and do a little research on rear end collisions.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

lol again, maybe you should try and do a little research on rear end collisions.
I spent 10 years recovering from a rear end collision that left me permanently disabled. I'm sure I know a damn sight more than you do about them.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:19 PM
turboed350z
Advanced

I spent 10 years recovering from a rear end collision that left me permanently disabled. I'm sure I know a damn sight more than you do about them.

Just because you were in one doesnt mean you knownthe law regarding who is at fault. Maybe you should try and read up on "assure clear distance ahead" law and maybe, just maybe, youll understand that 9/10 times the rearender is assigned majority of fault regardless of the car infront of it tail lights functionality.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Just because you were in one doesnt mean you knownthe law regarding who is at fault. Maybe you should try and read up on "assure clear distance ahead" law and maybe, just maybe, youll understand that 9/10 times the rearender is assigned majority of fault regardless of the car infront of it tail lights functionality.
I'll pass. I'm done dealing with ignorance. I'll take first-hand knowledge over some kid and his Internet ads. I've arrested too many people with the same jail house lawyer attitude to listen to it any longer.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:30 PM
turboed350z
Advanced

I'll pass. I'm done dealing with ignorance. I'll take first-hand knowledge over some kid and his Internet ads. I've arrested too many people with the same jail house lawyer attitude to listen to it any longer.
So youre telling me i can slam into any car at 100mph+ and as long as they have tinted lights its their fault? Talk about ignorance...
Old 11-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

So youre telling me i can slam into any car at 100mph+ and as long as they have tinted lights its their fault? Talk about ignorance...
No, that's just your ignorant take on it.

Have a nice day kid. Don't take candy from strangers, and just say no to drugs.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the LED's & like them because they are brighter
Old 11-16-2016, 03:59 PM
turboed350z
Advanced

No, that's just your ignorant take on it.

Have a nice day kid. Don't take candy from strangers, and just say no to drugs.
you just literally said that since my car isnt street legal its my fault regardless... some people just dont learn humbleness. Its ok to be wrong, doesnt make your ***** any smaller.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:46 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,685 Likes on 2,984 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by bama6872
Sooooo has anyone been pulled over for these in Cali?
Love that look on a black car, but I don't want the police hassle that may go along with it
The following users liked this post:
bama6872 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

I did the eagle eye LED'S. With a medium/dark tint. IMO They look great and are extremely bright even w/ the tint, Some don't like the dark out look and that's OK , but if ya don't like it don't do it.
With that being said anyone that runs into the back of another vehicle is either following to closely to begin with or they are to wrapped up with their latest text message, their next drink booze or what ever else they might be doing to distract their driving. And with those kind of drivers a light with the intensity of a bolt of lighting wouldn't get their attention in time to stop them from driving right through the middle of it.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Not the exact same thing but close enough for me: I witnessed an accident of a co-worker in front of our office (in California) that was clearly not his fault. He was t boned by a car that did not stop at a stop sign. Broken hip, collar bone, left arm. Major crash. His side windows were tinted fairly dark and the police officer on then call made note of it. The shattered driver side window was held together by the tint and the officer was holding while making his notes. My co-worker was found to be at fault and they specifically cited his impaired view. I have no additionaldetails but that incident has kept me blacking out my car even though I love the look. It may not get you pulled over but you have your head in the sand if you don't think somebody may exploit anything they have available to them to win a legal battle.
He was t-boned by a guy that ran the stop sign. And they deemed it his fault! I'm thinking that dude needs a GOOD attorney. What if it had been a blind person crossing the road instead of a guy with tinted windows!
So if my windows are tinted I have the green light that is the right of way and some dipstick runs the red light and t-bones me its my fault. Or if I'm stopped at a red light w/my tinted tail lights and some dipstick rear ends me its my fault.
I am not anti cop by any means but I'm thinking given the circumstances you described that cop needs to be investigated along with the person that ran the stop sign. What one goes after/exploits and what they get in a court of law are two different things.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:01 PM
turboed350z
Advanced

day and nighr shots. No brake lights on just driving lights. So if any lawyer that can successfully argue his client couldnt see my car, and convice the judge its my fault, i would either nominate the lawyer for a nobel prize or the judge to be barred. Haha
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

day and nighr shots. No brake lights on just driving lights. So if any lawyer that can successfully argue his client couldnt see my car, and convice the judge its my fault, i would either nominate the lawyer for a nobel prize or the judge to be barred. Haha
In the day photo, I see red reflector lights on the vehicle on the right, and no red reflectors on the vehicle on the left. One can be easily seen, and one can not.

You seem to be making the argument that tail lights are optional on your vehicles, regardless if the Department of Transportation say they are required through traffic and safety studies. But I'm sure the cops and Judge will see that you are right, and they are wrong.

Make sure you bring that photo and all of your supporting documentation with you to court when you get a ticket or summons to appear in your lawsuit.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 PM
turboed350z
Advanced

Originally Posted by ByRiver
In the day photo, I see red reflector lights on the vehicle on the right, and no red reflectors on the vehicle on the left. One can be easily seen, and one can not.

You seem to be making the argument that tail lights are optional on your vehicles, regardless if the Department of Transportation say they are required through traffic and safety studies. But I'm sure the cops and Judge will see that you are right, and they are wrong.

Make sure you bring that photo and all of your supporting documentation with you to court when you get a ticket or summons to appear in your lawsuit.
Never said they were optional, clearly you all belive the law is as simple as black and white. If that was the caee, lawyers would be out of a job.

Again, a simple google search would prove that regardless if the tail lights are broken or tinted, if you rear end the car, you still share portion of the blame. And if the state has an at fault law, they you can be paying 100% of the bill if you share the majority of the fault.

But again, its not like google is hard to use or anything. I know what the law states, i also know the law can be interperated in multiple ways, and i know a good lawyer will be able to interperate it in your favor.

This is america, anyone can sue anyone for anything, doesnt mean your stupid arguement or lawsuits holds any grounds.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I like my tail lights nice and bright. I keep remembering that there are other morons like me who are as bad of a driver as I am who might not see them.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:50 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ByRiver

Never heard of needing reflectors during the day.

If done right it does not diminish the light transmission or reflectivness.

My car with tinted lights.

Here is a snap using a flash. Do the lights look normal to you?

Get notified of new replies

To Tail light cover ticket

Old 11-19-2016, 01:54 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The "black out look", especially on a black Vette is outstanding. The problem is one; however, which is dictated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 which deals with vehicle lighting. At least in CA, where FMVSS 108 is pretty much the standard, you'll be cited for having that "black out look", or basically, if you have any covers on your head and tail lamps NOT specified as standard equipment.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
bama6872 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 03:00 PM
bama6872
Advanced

Well, that was a can of worms.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

These cars would be really good looking if it weren't for those pesky tail light visibility and reflectivity standards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tail light cover ticket