C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New used purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I will also add that, for me, the more I look at, and talk to car owners (of the car I'm looking to buy), the more I learn. So, don't do all your looking on the internet, or even over the phone. Go look at real cars with real owners standing right in front of you. Even the most non-car guy owner will know more about his car than you will in many instances. That knowledge you gain, will make you a better buyer for the next owner you talk to about their car.

Last edited by AORoads; 11-17-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
I would look elsewhere, plenty of inventory on the market.
Here's my standard check list;
Check Harmonic crankshaft balancer for out of roundness and belt chirping noise.
Check for oil pan seeping issues, some seep but never leave a mark on the ground.
Pull the dip stick and note the color of the oil, as it should be light brown to a darker brown, but not gray, this could indicate metallic particles in the oil.
Check the radiator lower supports in the front as they can get damaged from close encounters with a curb and can break the welds loose.
Check for strong fuel odors around the left rear tire, as some have developed a fuel leaks at the left side fuel tank and/or the fuel pump assembly.
While idling the car, there should not be unusual rattling noises coming from underneath the car, as torque tube bearings and couplers can be bad with higher mileage cars.
While driving and releasing the clutch, be sure that transition is smooth with no chattering.
Stock clutches can last over a 100k miles, provided the operators have not abused it up until then.
Car should road test without squeaks and rattles, as I find mine as very quiet, only issue is the that targa tops can creak and is usually a easy fix.
Also the end links have been known to clunk over bumps, but another easy fix
Rear diff have been know to make chattering noises when turning sharply, but usually a gear oil change with the correct oil can solve this issue.
Axle nuts sometimes will become loose and can create creaking noises in the rear end, another easy fix.
Make sure that the ac and heat work and come out the correct vent when going through the operations of the controls. The bellows in the dash can go bad, and this is a rough job to do and expensive if done at the dealership.
Obviously the trans should shift smoothly, but while cold, they can be notchy but should shift better within 10 to 15 miles or so. Check the operation in going into reverse, as there is a synchronize that have given issues recently reported.
The first year 2005's do have a weaker rear end diff, and was updated with the next year models.
If you don't plan to mod the car, this is not really a issue though.
BTW I love my 06 Z51, no regrets and reliable so far as a DD.

Quick Reply: New used purchase