C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting under the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:50 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by needdlex
Or my face. I just don't quite feel comfortable getting under the car quite yet.

The jack stands have the little metal "flip up" thing on the side that releases it. My biggest fear is to hit that with an elbow or knee while messing around under there.

Has anyone tested these to see how easily they release while under weight?

Again, sorry for the ignorance. As I stated earlier, I've only owned trucks and lifting them up wasn't ever needed.
They will not release with vehicle weight on them. Even with just 100 pounds, they will not release. Lots of things can happen with any car in the air. Service techs have died when a full-size lift failed, and they had not rotated the locking bar to prevent collapse. You need to have a fall-back system. I use jack stands on my pickup, but leave the jack in place, after relieving the pressure, and raising the jack so the puck is lightly contacting the truck.

If you think it through each time you lift your vehicle, and have a fall-back in place, you will be fine.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 11-30-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

To pile on the "never get under a car" warning . . .

I was doing something to my car when I was a teenager with only a jack, don't remember if I was actually under it or not, but my father saw me and gave me a real drilling: NEVER trust just a jack.

Since then, every once in a while I'll see on the local news about somebody who was crushed to death by a falling car that obviously wasn't being held up properly.

I used to work on die cast molds that weighed up to 6,000 pounds, and you have to keep your wits about you or you'll lose a foot, arm, or your life.

Considering that I am by nature paranoid of everything -- helped along by age -- I do not get under a vehicle unless it has jack stands, AND wooden blocks elsewhere, AND the jack itself still in place. I am even paranoid of putting the stands in place while the vehicle is held only by the jack; I make sure no part of me is underneath anything until it is safely blocked up.

Am I overly-paranoid? -- probably, but I still have all my limbs and my head nor chest has ever been crushed instantly, lol. It takes less than one second for that to happen.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:09 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Nothing wrong with a HF jack to raise your car and block it up properly before getting under it. I would not crawl under any car that is just supported by a jack. Even it it's a Snap On floor jack. They can all fail. I like to use raise the car and block it with stacks of 2x6 wood under the tires. Then lower the jack on them and crawl under. Of course making sure the parking brake is set and the car is in gear.

Your not paranoid, you just want to be safe and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:12 PM
needdlex
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's good to hear that some of you have actually tested the release bar on the jack stands. I feel a lot better knowing that.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Here's an example of how **** I am about this: Jack stands, wood blocking, and the jack itself still in place:

Name:  qFyAQyL.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  231.4 KB
Old 12-02-2016, 05:28 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
To pile on the "never get under a car" warning . . .

I was doing something to my car when I was a teenager with only a jack, don't remember if I was actually under it or not, but my father saw me and gave me a real drilling: NEVER trust just a jack.

Since then, every once in a while I'll see on the local news about somebody who was crushed to death by a falling car that obviously wasn't being held up properly.

I used to work on die cast molds that weighed up to 6,000 pounds, and you have to keep your wits about you or you'll lose a foot, arm, or your life.

Considering that I am by nature paranoid of everything -- helped along by age -- I do not get under a vehicle unless it has jack stands, AND wooden blocks elsewhere, AND the jack itself still in place. I am even paranoid of putting the stands in place while the vehicle is held only by the jack; I make sure no part of me is underneath anything until it is safely blocked up.

Am I overly-paranoid? -- probably, but I still have all my limbs and my head nor chest has ever been crushed instantly, lol. It takes less than one second for that to happen.

I'm taking it you probably won't want to go hang gliding with me then?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I have the 56" Race Ramps and they work just fine with our C6. Your air dam will rub as you drive up the ramp, but that is not hurting anything. Just set the bottom edge of the Race Ramps against your tires, line up the ramps and carefully drive up. You might want someone to spot for you and let you know when you reach the stop on the ramp.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
I'm taking it you probably won't want to go hang gliding with me then?

Probably not. FWIW, I live about 3 miles from a hill people used to hang glide from, when the sport was invented in the '70s. A couple people were killed there so they turned it into a park and won't let anyone jump there anymore. So now they do it a couple of hills over which is privately-owned. No fatalities from there (maybe one or two?) but they've learned a lot more about the sport and how to be safer I suppose. Maybe you can expand on that.

This is the actual spot, which is still known locally as "The Jump Off." (I don't know who the guy is)

I made up a saying some years ago: "Gravity is a bitch." It kills and maims thousands of people on a regular, unrelenting march.

Physics tells us that the center of a mass is the center of gravity. Mother Earth is always scheming on how to pull us closer towards it.

We see elderly people (I'm not there yet) who sit more than they used to, stoop over when they walk, eventually cannot walk at all, and many spend their last days horizontal -- which eventually becomes the permanent position -- all of this is caused by gravity.

Planes crashing, elderly people falling, kids falling out of trees, roofers falling off roofs, others involved in construction who fall off structures -- thousands of people every day are killed or maimed.

BAN GRAVITY!

Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I've flown the mountains in the background of my kite. These are the Sandias in Albuquerque. I actually had a "little" crash one year and broke an arm. I haven't flown kites in at least 25 years now, and just gave up gliders a few years back.

The following users liked this post:
Bruze (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 07:43 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I use 2 HF low pro jacks. I leave the car on the jacks but do put jack stands under the car while I'm under it just in case. I have left the car on the jacks for months with no issues.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by needdlex
That's good to hear that some of you have actually tested the release bar on the jack stands. I feel a lot better knowing that.
The lever design sucks. They're not supposed to release with weight applied, but many are made to such loose tolerances that they can seem engaged when they're not.

Also, a sudden weight shift (such as when lifting a motor that's hung up on something) can momentarily release the load on a stand, and hence its means of locking. Add to that some lift on the column from sticky undercoating or something pressing on that short-throw lever...

The worst thing about the lever stands is that their lock mechanism cannot be confirmed visually. You can't see the pawl with the column inserted. In my book, that is a no-go for a last-line-of-defense piece of safety equipment.

The pin type are better. People unfamiliar with the shear strength of steel imagine that the pin is going to break (no way). In choosing the lever type instead, the same people are relying on the shear strength of a tooth protruding from a crude casting full of stress risers.

However, most of the pin types you'll find have the old-style stands with the sheet metal legs and the spot-welded spreaders. Most of those look like a corrosion failure away from doing the splits. Plus the footprint is usually pretty narrow. Best to avoid.

Check out the Norco 81205.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I like stands cause it gives you more freedom under the car

ramps are okay but get in the way when changing oil and storing them and forget removing wheels.

Last edited by gilhuly; 12-03-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I like the Race Ramps also but for my needs I just couldn't justify spending that kind of cash, how many times do you actually get under your car should be the guide line IMHO.
I chose to make my own ramps and cradles all for about $20 and a little time. Its your choice of course, have the latest neatest high $$ stuff of make it your self.
NSF

Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I, like some of the others here, did the wood ramps.. Mine have 3 levels and are 2x10 I think? Can't remember, store on end and work just fine.

Last edited by LS14ME2; 12-03-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

HF has the low profile floor jack that for most vets, is low enough to get under the front of the car to center lift the front end with just a spreader bar on the jack to the span across the front cradle to center lift the front.

So front end gets jacked up with the E brake on, and once high enough, standard drive up stands can be put under the front wheels or standard floor jacks with lifting pucks instead.

From here, change the floor jack cross bar to work with the wider rear cradle to center lift the rear of the car, then place jack stands on the rear lift points with pads to level the car out on the stands.

Once the car is level and up, then getting under the car for such things as oil changes are a snap.

Bluntly, the long drive up ramps make getting the front of the car up easier, but all depends on what you are into the ramps for to begin with.

Truth is, when I have the car up, I pull the rims to clean and re-wax the barrels of the rims when its up, so for me, it just easy to take the car up high enough on jack stands with just a low profile jack, isntead using drive up ramps isntead (which would have to be pulled anyway).
Old 12-03-2016, 11:08 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I have the 87" two piece Race Ramps and they work like a champ, even though my carbon fiber splitter is fairly low (around 4").

Old 12-03-2016, 11:30 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I have the 87" two piece Race Ramps and they work like a champ, even though my carbon fiber splitter is fairly low (around 4").

Tell me more about the yellow steel crossbars shown in your photo. Did you buy those? Or make them? Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
ncvette_1FUNRIDE (12-04-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Getting under the car

Old 12-03-2016, 11:40 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
I use 2 HF low pro jacks. I leave the car on the jacks but do put jack stands under the car while I'm under it just in case. I have left the car on the jacks for months with no issues.
Same thing that I have been doing for years.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:04 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by duckvett
Tell me more about the yellow steel crossbars shown in your photo. Did you buy those? Or make them? Thanks.

I bought them (had them made). They weren't cheap though (over $200 for the pair)

Sorry, I can't remember the website at this time.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:49 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-60678.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...eam-60762.html

If you check around, you can find other long reach low profile floor jacks for a cheaper price, but the rub is finding the cross beam that will work with them isntead.

Hence on the HF long reach low profile jack, you remove the jacking point plate, and the cross bean has the same connector to just go back in the plate channel instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-04-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting under the car