C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Air-up Michelin PSS ZP 335/25/20 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Absolutevil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have four new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ sitting in the corner of my living room waiting to be mounted on my base model. Does this mean I'm gonna have problems to?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:09 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Absolutevil
I have four new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ sitting in the corner of my living room waiting to be mounted on my base model. Does this mean I'm gonna have problems to?
No.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:43 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

I read somewhere here on CF that this works. No experience with it myself.

http://www.tulstar.com/products/oils...eat-tire-lube/
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I was at my favorite tire shop that I've used on many sets of tires/rims on my GS. There was a C7 Z06 in that day too. They dealt with these rim/tire combo many, many time before, but this day they had a hella bad time. These guys normally sling these on many times a week. They finally used (yes they have all of the specialized stuff; cheetah bar, big air tank, etc.) a rubber hose to temporarily seal the area while blasting in air at the same time...

Point is, even the pro's that do these quite often have a bitch of a time...

My opinion, worth what you paid for it...

Old 12-05-2016, 02:32 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I read somewhere here on CF that this works. No experience with it myself.

http://www.tulstar.com/products/oils...eat-tire-lube/
I tried it, didn't help. They did send me a few free samples to test out. They're still perfecting the formula, however it never dries & will lead to tire slip on the rim, especially if you have a decent amount of power. We had some of that left on the rim/tire before using the Hunter lube. In the end we had to completely remove the tire, clean all traces of it off & start over with the Hunter lube & bead sealer.

Their customer service is excellent though & they were in constant contact to see how it was working, but still didn't get the job done in the end, at least for me.

Last edited by jft69z; 12-05-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Absolutevil
I had the PS A/S ZP mounted on my 2014 last June. Dealer sent the car to a European car shop that had the best tire equipment in the area. Cost me $135. Mount was damage free and the balance was good at xxx speed.
Find a shop that can actually repair aluminum wheels. They usually have the best equipment.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:13 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Thee appears to be two issues people are responding to.

1. Getting RFT ZR1/Cup rear tires on/off the wheel.
2. Getting the tire's bead to set once the tire is successfully on the wheel.

I've had two different sets of rears mounted on my ZR1 rear wheels. In both cases the shop (Discount tire with high dollar touchless tire mounting machine) was able to get the tires on the wheels (Issue #1) using rim savers and lube to aid the tire in sliding up and over the wheel lip.

As for seating the beads, they only had to attempt more than once on one tire to get the bead to set.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
Thee appears to be two issues people are responding to.

1. Getting RFT ZR1/Cup rear tires on/off the wheel.
2. Getting the tire's bead to set once the tire is successfully on the wheel.

I've had two different sets of rears mounted on my ZR1 rear wheels. In both cases the shop (Discount tire with high dollar touchless tire mounting machine) was able to get the tires on the wheels (Issue #1) using rim savers and lube to aid the tire in sliding up and over the wheel lip.

As for seating the beads, they only had to attempt more than once on one tire to get the bead to set.

1 issue I think. It's no problem getting the tires on the rims. Getting the bead to seat is the issue.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Aotte1
Intermediate

Final Report on Michelin PSS ZP 335x25x20 tires on GM "Cup" wheels.

My original tire person got them all aired up and picked them up today. No damage to the wheels. Also took very small amount of weight to balance, much less then the Good Years.

Their were no magic techniques or liquids that worked for this tire/wheel combination install.

Basics of what worked:
1). Installing tires on wheel, very easy, no problem;

2). Airing up tire, getting bead to seal, is the difficult part. The four wheels took about 6 hrs to air-up. Could easily get the bead to about four inches from sealing, getting the last few inches of bead to seal is the hard part. How it was done, shop air (not regulated) into tire valve, keeping the bead area of tire well lubricated with water/soap solution, and wheel surface in the area. You lift and streach, then release the bead area until it slips on, just keep doing it and eventually it goes on. Just keep it lubricated so that when it starts to go on, it goes all the way.

Their is more technical detail as to why this happens with this combination, regarding the bead area construction along with Cup wheel shape.

Special thanks also goes out to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green technical staff that helped.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Aotte1; 12-07-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Aotte1
Intermediate

More photos, IPad only does one at a time.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Aotte1
Intermediate

And another.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Aotte1
Intermediate

Another photo. The rears look really nice from the back-wide.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Aotte1; 12-07-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Beltfedbob
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always use the redneck method, it does really work. I've used it many times :-)

Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Aotte1
Intermediate

Short driving around town, tires seem very nice and quite, max speed 60mph. Fronts really stick, need to make turns with car moving, not real sharp, otherwise they scuff in sharper turns.

One last photo of the new tires.
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
The air is blasted between the bead and the wheel. You remove the valve core and hook up shop air with it constantly flowing while doing this. We don't work in tire stores. That is why its concerning. You can also damage the hell out of wheel with one if you arent careful.

https://www.amazon.com/TSI-Cheetah-B.../dp/B000VNHWUM

Works like this.
Turn your speakers off. Video is loud.
This does not work for the super sport tires. You can damage the side wall and the rim. Atire lubricant also called snot needs to be used. Always ask if they have a person that has mounted Z06 run flat tires,and if they haven't, let them learn on someone else's Corvette.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Aotte1
Intermediate

Edward,
Agree the redneck method does not work. Their is one method that works. All the special ways or products, or tire machines do not help for this tire/wheel combination.

Les

Quick Reply: How to Air-up Michelin PSS ZP 335/25/20 Tires