C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how would someone know if company car used cheap gas instead of premium

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:40 PM
vettez4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how would someone know if company car used cheap gas instead of premium

mine has fleet lease on the car proof for 2009 ls3. although the car runs perfect. how would i know if they put in cheap gas or whatever, or would that make me run into troubles in the future? mine had company fleet vehicle on car report in one of the sections

Last edited by vettez4; 12-04-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:56 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

The cars electronics will automatically retard the timing to prevent dentonation (ping) to protect the engine. Thus cheap gasoline will diminish the performance of the vehilcle, but the retrarded timing done through the computer will protect it. You should be o.k. Hard to tell if cheap gas has been used in the car unless you can get records of gasoline receipts. The only potential problems that may occur is if excess water got in the fuel or dirt. For debris in the fuel never fill up your car if you see a tanker truck refueling a gas station. When they are dumping fuel in the underground tanks they are stirring up all the debris and water in the bottom of the tanks and you will suck this into your car at the same time possibly clogging up your fuel filter at the same time.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:00 PM
vettez4
Advanced

Originally Posted by CadVette
The cars electronics will automatically retard the timing to prevent dentonation (ping) to protect the engine. Thus cheap gasoline will diminish the performance of the vehilcle, but the retrarded timing done through the computer will protect it. You should be o.k. Hard to tell if cheap gas has been used in the car unless you can get records of gasoline receipts. The only potential problems that may occur is if excess water got in the fuel or dirt. For debris in the fuel never fill up your car if you see a tanker truck refueling a gas station. When they are dumping fuel in the underground tanks they are stirring up all the debris and water in the bottom of the tanks and you will suck this into your car at the same time possibly clogging up your fuel filter at the same time.
the car runs very smooth bone stock especially after fresh oil change. so it shouldnt be a problem even if cheap gas might have been used before? who knows because the car is in amazing condition inside and out with one little key scratch which i will fix
Old 12-04-2016, 07:19 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
This is a myth that comes from the old days where the pumps were not filtered. The systems now have inline filters that prevent this from happening. If you have ever been to a station where your pump seems to be taking forever it is more than likely that the filter is just overdue for service.
The following users liked this post:
Yaupon (12-07-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 07:21 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettez4
mine has fleet lease on the car proof for 2009 ls3. although the car runs perfect. how would i know if they put in cheap gas or whatever, or would that make me run into troubles in the future? mine had company fleet vehicle on car report in one of the sections
You should be just fine. Some premium fuels do contain better detergents that would help to keep carbon deposits to a minimum but overall it isn't effect performance in the long run. A lot of fleet vehicles don't require the user to pay for oil changes or fuel so it is very likely that they used premium fuel and had the fluids changed on time.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 PM
vettez4
Advanced

Originally Posted by User Omega
You should be just fine. Some premium fuels do contain better detergents that would help to keep carbon deposits to a minimum but overall it isn't effect performance in the long run. A lot of fleet vehicles don't require the user to pay for oil changes or fuel so it is very likely that they used premium fuel and had the fluids changed on time.
yea i hope so, when i went for oil service, told me cars good just front brake pads are low. FLUIDS okay. cars only 50k miles. Speaking of fluids, should i be concerned with auto trans fluid and diff fluid or its too early for the mileage?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:39 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I've used fleet cars from city, county and state motor pools and other than diesel pumps, have never seen more than 'regular" gas pumps. Cheap gas can cause detonation and the ECU can only do so much to prevent it. Other results could be excess carbon buildup on the piston tops (run it near redline to see how clean or dirty the exhaust looks). Dirty fuel injectors and fuel filters can also be the result of using 'cheap' fuel w/o the detergents better fuel contains.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettez4
yea i hope so, when i went for oil service, told me cars good just front brake pads are low. FLUIDS okay. cars only 50k miles. Speaking of fluids, should i be concerned with auto trans fluid and diff fluid or its too early for the mileage?
Follow regular schedule in the user manual. I am not sure what the manual suggests for Automatic trans or diff. It certainly cannot hurt to change it.

TerryL have you ever seen a state or city fleet car that was a corvette? I'm guessing this was a company owned car. Taxpayers would burn my town hall if they were driving Corvettes. haha.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

"Premium" tires are generally better and of higher quality than "cheap" tires.

Same for an expensive suit vs. a cheap suit.

But not so for gasoline. "Premium" just has a higher octane for cars that need it. It isn't necessarily of higher quality than regular, or "cheap" gas.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bruze
"Premium" tires are generally better and of higher quality than "cheap" tires.

Same for an expensive suit vs. a cheap suit.

But not so for gasoline. "Premium" just has a higher octane for cars that need it. It isn't necessarily of higher quality than regular, or "cheap" gas.
This is true in some cases but in most, there are additives other than just being higher octane when it comes to premium fuels. Especially form national brands.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by User Omega
This is true in some cases but in most, there are additives other than just being higher octane when it comes to premium fuels. Especially form national brands.
Okay, could be, I don't know what's been going on in recent decades.

Maybe that oil guy LBD could chime in on this . . . ?

EDIT: Re-thinking . . . does "more additives" necessarily mean higher quality?

Last edited by Bruze; 12-04-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:11 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Even the cheapest gas must have minimum EPA-mandated additives that are reasonably ok. Yes, engines that have run consistently on top tier gas will be cleaner, run a bit smoother, and give a bit closer to factory fresh performance at 50,000 miles than those run on cheap gas. But it’s not as though cheap gas will ruin an engine. It simply takes away a bit of performance as the engine ages, and slightly increases the odds of having a fuel-related maintenance problem.

As far as regular versus premium, comments are similar. Knock sensors should retard timing and prevent octane-related engine damage from running regular, but engine controls are not perfect. Thus, there’s a slight increase in odds of having knock-related engine issues if the engine has run consistently on regular.

Short of tearing down the engine for inspection, which is a major maintenance job and would rather obviously be a silly way of determining whether you were at risk of maintenance issues, I don’t know of any way to tell whether an engine has issues. Some might suggest boroscope inspection, looking for deposits, but that isn’t very precise so would be of questionable value.

The last issue raised by some in this thread is whether premium top tier has better additives than regular top tier. Some brands claim they have extra additives in their premium, but the cleanliness standards for all top tier grades are so high that the added benefit of premium over regular at a top tier station is small. As an insurance policy though, one aspect of using a premium from a top tier brand that advertises extra additives in premium is that whatever small benefit there is, is mostly in “clean up” capability. Said another way, if you’ve run top tier since the engine was new, added benefit of extra top tier over basic top tier is essentially zilch, because the engine started out clean and the basic top tier additives will keep it clean. But if the engine has run on cheapo gas and has gotten a bit dirty as a result, the extra additives in that brand’s premium might be a bit better at cleaning up the deposits from the cheapo than the basic top tier package would be.
The following 2 users liked this post by LDB:
AL_Jazz (12-05-2016), Bruze (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

LDB: Thanks for the response.

Sorry I got your initials wrong in my previous post. I'll get it next time, promise!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:53 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Just to let you know that some carfax reports show "fleet" or "corporate" when in reality the vehicle was actually leased. I leased an SUV from a leasing company and it showed up as a fleet vehicle. I know this because I purchased it when the lease was over and carfax was pulled when I traded it.
I wouldn't worry about it as most people that lease take good care of the vehicle knowing it will be inspected pretty closely upon return.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

If you were too concerned about what fuel was run in the car you could always pull the intake and have a peak at the exhaust valves.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

So, to answer the original question, there is absolutely no way for you to know what kind of gas was used in a car unless you have the receipts for that gas.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
So, to answer the original question, there is absolutely no way for you to know what kind of gas was used in a car unless you have the receipts for that gas.
If whoever the original user was used sub par gasoline it very well could have some serious deposits on the valves. Highly unlikely but is a possibility.

Get notified of new replies

To how would someone know if company car used cheap gas instead of premium

Old 12-05-2016, 01:25 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

no way to know and no harm done.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:57 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't think that's there's any way to know what a previous owner did with a vehicle unless you can talk to him.

Quick Reply: how would someone know if company car used cheap gas instead of premium