C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear emblem question/removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rear emblem question/removal

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows or has removed their rear trunk emblem? Is it bolted in? Please instruct on removal..

Thanks!

Last edited by Jason W Dreher; 12-04-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:30 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Not bolted. It's on with double sided automotive 3m type tape and has two locating pins. I heated mine up with a hair dryer some and used some dental floss to get the emblem off then used goo gone to get the adhesive left gone.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by sluggballz
Not bolted. It's on with double sided automotive 3m type tape and has two locating pins. I heated mine up with a hair dryer some and used some dental floss to get the emblem off then used goo gone to get the adhesive left gone.
Thanks!

So there is no hole? I'm looking to buy an led badge and it is wired. There are no instructions anywhere but when I see pictures, the wires are not exposed.. I do not want to drill as well but it says no drilling required?

Thanks..
Old 12-04-2016, 10:06 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jason W Dreher
Thanks!

So there is no hole? I'm looking to buy an led badge and it is wired. There are no instructions anywhere but when I see pictures, the wires are not exposed.. I do not want to drill as well but it says no drilling required?

Thanks..
Two holes for the locating pins I believe.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Two holes for the locating pins I believe.
Thanks again,

I appreciate it.. Was it a pain or fairly easy?

I appreciate the info..
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

It was actually someone else who removed theirs, but it should be pretty straightforward and easy. Just use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun unless you're experienced ... they get way too hot and can burn the paint. Might want to try fishing line instead of dental floss ... it's stronger.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Jason W Dreher
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
It was actually someone else who removed theirs, but it should be pretty straightforward and easy. Just use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun unless you're experienced ... they get way too hot and can burn the paint. Might want to try fishing line instead of dental floss ... it's stronger.
Good stuff, Thanks again..
Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 PM
BlackLS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

I used fishing line and a 4" Smart Eraser Pad with Drill Adapter Arbor from Amazon, saved lots or time removing the old tape.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:09 AM
FairfieldVette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's easier than you'd expect, but a little time-consuming. I used fishing line to cut through the old adhesive. It's pretty gummy stuff, so it takes a bit of sawing. I didn't heat it, but I can imagine that would help. Once the old emblem's removed, I used the combination of a plastic scraper and mild solvent to remove the rest of the old adhesive. Allow about an hour for the total job.

As mentioned above, there are two holes where the locating pins line up. I guess your LED emblem will use one of those to pass the wires through.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:57 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

My body man told me there method which works stellar in these situations. Blue tape around the item, and use fishing line or piano wire to slice the tape. I removed a VHB taped spoiler in about 30 seconds......the line/wire cuts like butter through double faced tapes.....
Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Recently replaced both emblems using fishing line. It works well by sawing it back and forth, but to get in between the locating posts, I used an upholstery needle to get the line through the middle and then it was easy to saw the rest off. The emblems are curved, and you have to have a front and a rear because they are curved differently. Get OEM or they will be flat and not fit correctly. Got a pair for about$90 on eBay.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:39 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I took my front emblem off using the above methods. I replaced it with a flag decal of the same size and appearance. The weight savings was only 26 grams, but the aerodynamic difference was huge.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear emblem question/removal

Quick Reply: Rear emblem question/removal