C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have to turn it down

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm 67 yo and see nothing wrong with leaving an intersection with ZZ Top WO and the tires smoking. Gas that bad boy Tombovette while the boys in the band play.
The following users liked this post:
Tombovette (12-23-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

MODS: Please change the thread title to: Over-analyzing how to drive a stick
Corvette_Ed (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:17 AM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never use my ears to sense when the clutch is grabbing. I go by feel. Besides you can give it all the throttle you want, the trick is letting the clutch out slow enough to keep the tires from spinning (unless you want them to) or the engine from stalling.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
MODS: Please change the thread title to: Over-analyzing how to drive a stick
Old 12-21-2016, 10:23 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrasport
I'll try to help you with a serious answer. I had a base 2012 C6. The gearing was terrible and starting off from a dead stop was much more difficult than it was on my Z06. The gear ratio in the transmission and rear end on the base C6 compared to the Z51 car is more difficult to start off from a stop. I sold the car and every experienced driver that test drove the car had the same response. They either stalled the engine or had to slip the clutch more than would be expected. And yes, I have sufficient experience driving vehicles with manual clutches, everything from 18 wheelers to motorcycles.
One suggestion, have someone set the in-gear idle speed up about 50 rpm.
Second, use the hand brake not the foot pedal to hold the car on a hill.

No. Just stop.. Please send me your login credentials so I can prevent this from happening again. That is just terrible advise.
Corvette_Ed (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

In one night this thread has gone the way of
"What should I put under my tires"
thread, a few pages short but from the looks of it, it will continue Comeonman
NSF
Old 12-21-2016, 11:00 AM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Having driven White, Mack, GMC and Kenworth trucks all my life,
some with 8 speed transmissions and 2 speed rears I find your problem rather simplistic.

Last edited by cessna10; 12-21-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
In one night this thread has gone the way of
"What should I put under my tires"
thread, a few pages short but from the looks of it, it will continue Comeonman
NSF
When you previously said, "Get a hearing aid" I laughed -- taking it at the obvious joke that it was.

Someone below your post thought it was a serious suggestion.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM
LOW11GS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tombovette
Ok, When I roll to a stop on a slope, or at a stop light on a slope or hill. I don't want to ride my clutch until I launch. I have to turn the sound system down to hear the engine as I'm pulling away. Sometimes I'm revving the engine too high and lose traction, sometimes I stall it. On flat ground I have no prob. I don't look at the Tach as I'm in traffic. I have to hear the engine in order to not over rev. I just wanted to know if other members has had this experience. I'm 61 years and have to admit my hearing has gone south, I'm just asking if anyone has had this happen to them after years of sport and muscle car driving,

1st Manual trans ??
Old 12-21-2016, 02:32 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

it's not a matter of more experience with ANY stick, but more experience with the Vette you are driving.

However, it an be challenging if the hills are really steep. The heel/toe is hard to coordinate from a stop. Try setting the emergency brake, then slowly take up the slack in the clutch, and release the Ebrake when the car starts to move forward...a whole lot easier than heel/toe from a stop.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
it's not a matter of more experience with ANY stick, but more experience with the Vette you are driving.

However, it an be challenging if the hills are really steep. The heel/toe is hard to coordinate from a stop. Try setting the emergency brake, then slowly take up the slack in the clutch, and release the Ebrake when the car starts to move forward...a whole lot easier than heel/toe from a stop.
As I said before, this is being WAY over-analyzed. The problem is inexperience.

I learned how to operate a clutch -- yes, even on hills -- on tractors and junk cars long before I was old enough to have a license. I was so young that on tractors I had to slide almost off the seat to get the clutch all the way in, and on one particular tractor my uncle had I wasn't even strong enough yet to push the clutch in -- so I couldn't drive that one til I got older and stronger.

Every tractor/truck/car/motorcycle has a different feel to the clutch depending on type of clutch, pressure plate springs, linkage, plate wear/adjustment, etc.

It isn't rocket science, nor a mystery, it's just a lack of experience.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:41 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

One of the first things I do when teaching an inexperienced person how to drive a stick is start them on a hill. They quickly learn how to finesse, feather, or tease the throttle....whatever you want to cal it. You have to have a good control touch. Also, you say you aren't looking at the tach??? You have to. It's part of driving the car and having situational awareness. Develop a scan like us pilots do. You don't focus on any thing for long, but rather make short, quick scans to all the vital areas that require your attention.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

If you need a tach to drive a stick then you're depending on a nanny -- not surprising in this day and age. Go out in a haylot or a big parking lot and practice taking off with your eyes shut. Better yet, practice on a hill with your eyes shut.

"In an earlier life" I taught my wife how to drive my 440 Roadrunner 4-sp, no tach, no nothing, first stick she ever drove. And she did fine after a while, but it has to be learned.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:06 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Bruze, you're right. But for someone that's having difficulty (to the point of asking for help), then the tach should be a resource to show the delicacy of the throttle and how it correlates to the tach. But, I wouldn't necessarily say the tach is representative of a nanny. It's a vital part of engine management. Something specifically designed to override the driver's input is what I would deem a nanny.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Might be time for some hearing aids?
Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 PM
balljointnut
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, having not driven a manual in many years I had that problem for a short time when I bought my first Corvette about three months ago. It took me about two weeks to "learn" the clutch simply because it is not a daily driver. Just drive it you will get the feel. IMO, the best way to learn to drive your vette is to take it to some HPDE events. I have done two so far and it definitely will improve your confidence and abilities. I like it so much I am going to have to buy another one so I can build a dedicated track car.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:20 PM
bill 2010 c6
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soon as you feel it moving dump the clutch and mat it works every time

Get notified of new replies

To I have to turn it down

Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Clutch

Originally Posted by Tombovette
Ok, When I roll to a stop on a slope, or at a stop light on a slope or hill. I don't want to ride my clutch until I launch. I have to turn the sound system down to hear the engine as I'm pulling away. Sometimes I'm revving the engine too high and lose traction, sometimes I stall it. On flat ground I have no prob. I don't look at the Tach as I'm in traffic. I have to hear the engine in order to not over rev. I just wanted to know if other members has had this experience. I'm 61 years and have to admit my hearing has gone south, I'm just asking if anyone has had this happen to them after years of sport and muscle car driving,

I have driven stick shift all my life and after almost a year driving the Vette I have the same problem that you have. In my Vette the clutch have a "sweet spot" that jumps out at you and either the car stalls or I rev the car too much, and this is always on a grade on the road. I do get agravated when that happens and I hate to ride on my clutch. I am glad you shared this because I thought I was the only one.

Nick
Tombovette (12-23-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:28 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

You need to use all your senses when driving a manual trans.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

[QUOTE=PAULEB07;1593712971]You need to use all your senses when driving a manual trans.[/

Quick Reply: I have to turn it down