C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about your aftermarket head-unit! (Advice Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

waiting on my Kenwood DDX9703S to arrive from Dennis.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Ungodly
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmsmedic

Dennis is a must. He hooked me up with this. Retained all bells and dings. Fit and finish is excellent in my opinion.
Will probably be going with a Pioneer 4100 in the next 30-60 days, but where can I find that phone mount? Does it rotate a full 360 degrees?
The following users liked this post:
pgtr (06-25-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Nate_M
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockgeezer
Between taking breaks and emailing Dennis about a few things and referring back to the tutorial, it was a couple hours. Honestly, if I had to do it again on the same car knowing what I know now, I feel confident I could knock it out in an hour since I've taken the center console out several times for stuff
and can get it out and in, in 15 minutes. I utilized the factory XM, radio and gps antennas. The backup camera was not bad. Positioned it directly center over the license plate frame, ran the wires through one of the existing openings next to the hatch button and through rubber grommet and then ran the two wires back up to the front along with the XM antenna wire from the left wheel hump location.You can also tap power off backup lights but Dennis seemed to prefer going back up to the dash for power and ground so I did it that way. If you take time, refer to the pics on the sticky note tutorial, it's not very difficult.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but what tutorial are you referring to? Getting ready to pull the trigger on this installation myself :-)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:37 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_M
Sorry to bump an old thread, but what tutorial are you referring to? Getting ready to pull the trigger on this installation myself :-)
There is a thread in the audio section. It's usually close to the top. It's in the General Corvette topics section.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Rockgeezer
Not sure if you can see in the pic but it's the one for the NPP equipped car with 436HP rather than regular 430HP. Those can be found most everywhere that sells Corvette accessories for around $30 as the post above references, but not the 436HP one. I found this image on a google pic search, saved it, edited to fit, printed it, laminated it and attached with double sided tape. I have too much time on my hands...lol.
$35.00..I'll take one....
Love it
Old 06-22-2017, 05:33 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought this years latest Kenwood not the $600 unit but the $350 unit, I'm sorry that I don't have the model number on me but here are the pros and cons and there pretty big here...I will post the exact M# later today I went with a Double Din though...no need for a tilt screen with the position of c6 console

Pros- Time Delay Speaker Output options which in my opinion are a MUST!! Kenwood is the only manufacturer that is offering this on their base $$$ decks, You've got to hit the $600 range to get that from any-other manufacturer....

Pros- 13 band EQ, again another must for me

Pros- Band and Filter adjustments for each individual speaker...

Pros- On screen OB2 Monitoring of Coolant Temps, RPMs, IATs, G- Force, Throttle Percentage, Fuel Economy and more and even wide band results if you decide to add it to the unit ports

Cons- Pandora Connectivity problems, Kenwood produced a great feature here displaying the album covers and easy access to changing station from your phone etc.
However, it only works half of the time and then the unit just freezes.... Tons of consumer complaints about this with both the base all the way up to the excelleron. When you call Kenwood they just play dumb...They told me on numerous calls to them that this is the first complaint that they are hearing on this! I just use the BT deck option and that works fine...

Cons- The unit just decides to freeze up, requiring the owner to turn off then on again to reset everything...

Cons- Steering Wheel Control Options are non-existent

Kenwood still is the industry leader in technology and offering new features that are first to market....but this comes at a cost.. They release units that aren't 100% functional...firmware updates are never offered... If you like the kenwood decks and its features its almost better to wait until the next year's model comes out with all of the bug fixes...

I deal with mine's issues for the pricing to features offered...Example 13 band EQ and Time Delay outputs in which very few other expensive decks even offer...

For the best possible sound there is no other substitute...kenwood always wins here but just be ready to deal with a few bugs in the process..

If you are not concerned with keeping On-Star activated.... Wall-Mart has the cheapest OEM Wire Adapter for $29.99, this will save you from having to purchase the $149 unit that allows for OS use

Last edited by 2L8LUZ; 06-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:58 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

To 2L8LUZ, I'm not sure I agree with some of the points you made. Specifically, that Kenwood is the best possible sounding unit and/or the leader in tech. Many could and would argue otherwise as sound is subjective and is a matter of opinion. And Sorry to hear about all the bugs you are experiencing in your tech leading Kenwood. Also, I have seen Kenwood offer some firmware updates in the past so hopefully there's one out for your unit to help fix the bugs. Also, I have seen much cheaper installation kits that include the wiring harness on Crutchfield with the purchase of a head unit, but I never recommend for people to buy a cheap harness because it usually leads to install issues. Crutchfield currently offers the Pac Audio RP5-GM11 harness with Metra faceplate for less than $80 and the cheaper harness for $19 or for $25 with Metra kit and antenna adaptor.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
However, it only works half of the time and then the unit just freezes.... Tons of consumer complaints about this with both the base all the way up to the excelleron. When you call Kenwood they just play dumb...They told me on numerous calls to them that this is the first complaint that they are hearing on this! I just use the BT deck option and that works fine...

Cons- The unit just decides to freeze up, requiring the owner to turn off then on again to reset everything...

Cons- Steering Wheel Control Options are non-existent
If you'd called Dennis at Double D Mods you wouldn't be having these problems. I have last year's top of the line EXCELON Nav unit that has all of the same features as this year's, have never had it freeze up in any app, never have any problems using any app, and have full use of my steering wheel controls. Just as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Sounds to me like you went cheap and are paying for it now.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Kenwood DDX9903S installed in Feburary and its a nice unit but its too bright at night ( tieds to dim but still bright at night when using andriond app with gps and Im not all that happy with the sound. Some songs sound great but other not so much. The factory stereo sounded much better with a better powerful bass and thump in my opinion. Does anyone else have this issue or did I get a bad install.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:44 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 556
I had a Kenwood DDX9903S installed in Feburary and its a nice unit but its too bright at night ( tieds to dim but still bright at night when using andriond app with gps and Im not all that happy with the sound. Some songs sound great but other not so much. The factory stereo sounded much better with a better powerful bass and thump in my opinion. Does anyone else have this issue or did I get a bad install.

I would prob say then who ever installed it didnt do it correctly
there is no way it wont sound better and when dimming is connected correctly it will dim
Old 06-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Heel & Toe

Thanks Dennis.. Ive messed with settings but cant seem to get it where I like it for all music. Its not bad just not like factory.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:22 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 556
Thanks Dennis.. Ive messed with settings but cant seem to get it where I like it for all music. Its not bad just not like factory.

its not in settings its in the wiring for dimming

I have never put in any brand of radio in a car that did not sound better than stock
Not one customer who has traveled for hundreds of miles tell me they thought stock sounded better.
So something is obviously wrong

Last edited by Double D Mods; 06-23-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

I did not end up going with the cheap wiring harness, I got the $150 complete adapter...as far as going with the less expensive head unit... It shouldn't have any relevant play in this conversation as ANY KENWOOD product shouldn't have these freezing problems...

It's not a Jensen deck here..

Last edited by 2L8LUZ; 06-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I did not end up going with the cheap wiring harness, I got the $150 complete adapter...as far as going with the less expensive head unit... It shouldn't have any relevant play in this conversation as ANY KENWOOD product shouldn't have these freezing problems...

It's not a Jensen deck here..
Yet you don't have steering wheel controls, and I do, which is part of the wiring harness that I got PRE-WIRED when I bought mine from Dennis.

In over a year and a half, and more than 12k miles, my unit has never frozen, never had a problem with any app, and has performed flawlessly.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:23 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

The unit I have is the DDX374BT

Do a google search and you will find all sorts of complaints about the same issue
Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
its not in settings its in the wiring for dimming

I have never put in any brand of radio in a car that did not sound better than stock
Not one customer who has traveled for hundreds of miles tell me they thought stock sounded better.
So something is obviously wrong
Thanks again.. Ill call them and ask if they will look at it again. I moved an hour further away so now 2 hours away but I guess its worth it. Been awhile so they may not even do it. If not I may look at it my self and hit you up for wiring confirmation.. Steering wheel controls work but every once in a while you have to push button long and hard.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:45 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Do a google search and you will find all sorts of complaints about the same issue

I say pull it out. Return it if you still can. And then go buy a Pioneer 4200nex for about $450 from Amazon. For the price, it's a great head unit.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
There is a thread in the audio section. It's usually close to the top. It's in the General Corvette topics section.

Sorry, it looks like Dennis removed his install thread after reading my post. If anyone is interested, check the how-to section of the forum for some helpful how-to instructions.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...igation-368176
Old 06-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Caveat emptor.

Quick Reply: Tell me about your aftermarket head-unit! (Advice Welcome)