C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about your aftermarket head-unit! (Advice Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Wrigy3
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tell me about your aftermarket head-unit! (Advice Welcome)

Im currently in the market for a new head unit for my 05 C6 Base, I cant handle not having an AUX cord for another day. So I figured who better to ask than the community!? Im only looking for 3 things.
1. Has Blue Tooth/Aux Input
2. Relatively quick to respond
3. Doesnt look like trash and has a pretty nice fit
3 1/2 Android auto would be a real plus... if it fits the price range.

Ive also heard that replacing the car stereo will result in losing the vehicles 'Dings' and warning sounds. Any way to get around that?

Open to any suggestions! Thanks for your time!

(Pics are always welcome)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

You should contact Dennis at Double D Mods. Tell him your needs and your budget and he will hook you up with the best head unit to satisfy both. He can also prewire with the GM controller to keep your factory chimes and such working. He did this for mine, and it also works with my steering wheel controls.

608-854-2033

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 01-03-2017 at 07:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wrigy3 (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I went with Kenwood with bluetooth, DVD, Sirius,iPod and use Garmin for GPS use when traveling, plus easy to update maps.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1bdvet:
BrknWndC6 (01-03-2017), Wrigy3 (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As previously suggested, call or email Dennis at DoubleDMods and tell him what you want and he'll take care of you. I got a Kenwood DDS9903S and installed myself in my '08 with a little help from Dennis and a great pic tutorial here on the forum. Like many of the current head units, it has Bluetooth, USB, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, etc. I got the XM tuner and backup camera and utilized all the existing antennas. I use the maps in my iPhone with CarPlay on the 7" screen so opted for non-GPS head but you may want one with it. Many nice units from Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. The pre-wired harness that Dennis does has the chime included so all your dings are still there plus it has an adjustable volume pot to set the chime loudness you want. Also, steering wheel controls are retained. Give him a call and see what he has for you.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 01-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM
tmsmedic
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Dennis is a must. He hooked me up with this. Retained all bells and dings. Fit and finish is excellent in my opinion.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:30 PM
04vette81
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockgeezer

As previously suggested, call or email Dennis at DoubleDMods and tell him what you want and he'll take care of you. I got a Kenwood DDS9903S and installed myself in my '08 with a little help from Dennis and a great pic tutorial here on the forum. Like many of the current head units, it has Bluetooth, USB, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, etc. I got the XM tuner and backup camera and utilized all the existing antennas. I use the maps in my iPhone with CarPlay on the 7" screen so opted for non-GPS head but you may want one with it. Many nice units from Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. The pre-wired harness that Dennis does has the chime included so all your dings are still there plus it has an adjustable volume pot to set the chime loudness you want. Also, steering wheel controls are retained. Give him a call and see what he has for you.
Where in the world did you get that spec plate??? I have been looking for one. I had on on my C5. Need one for my C6 now.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 04vette81
Where in the world did you get that spec plate??? I have been looking for one. I had on on my C5. Need one for my C6 now.
West Coast Corvette sells them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=c6+spec+plate
Old 01-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04vette81
Not sure if you can see in the pic but it's the one for the NPP equipped car with 436HP rather than regular 430HP. Those can be found most everywhere that sells Corvette accessories for around $30 as the post above references, but not the 436HP one. I found this image on a google pic search, saved it, edited to fit, printed it, laminated it and attached with double sided tape. I have too much time on my hands...lol.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 01-03-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Giamanut
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

AVH4200-NEX

or
AVH4100-NEX
There is a module for this that keeps BOSE ,chimes ,and steering wheel functions and Onstar if you like . This is the Unit I will be using yes it has andriod auto and Car play

Last edited by Giamanut; 01-03-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:59 PM
04vette81
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
West Coast Corvette sells them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=c6+spec+plate
Thank you! yes, i know you can get them.. but.. one to actually fit our ashtray area is a different story. regardless thank you for the response!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:00 PM
04vette81
Racer

Not sure if you can see in the pic but it's the one for the NPP equipped car with 436HP rather than regular 430HP. Those can be found most everywhere that sells Corvette accessories for around $30 as the post above references, but not the 436HP one. I found this image on a google pic search, saved it, edited to fit, printed it, laminated it and attached with double sided tape. I have too much time on my hands...lol.
Genius idea! lol thank you and sorry to hijack your thread! i realized that after i asked you.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 PM
pyrodav
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tmsmedic

Dennis is a must. He hooked me up with this. Retained all bells and dings. Fit and finish is excellent in my opinion.
Same setup I have. Wouldn't change it for nothing. The phone mount is rock solid and easy to navigate through while at a stop light
Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Wrigy3
Intermediate

Thanks for all the quick feedback everyone! Ill be sure to do some research on what yall recommended and give Dennis a call in the next few days!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Do you have a link to the tutorial you mention above?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Wrigy3
Intermediate

After some research about the Kenwoods, ive read that there is a pretty annoying "Warning Screen" that pops up and you have to manually close it every time you start the car. Is that an option you can somehow remove? Or has there been an update that allows you to set a Timer on the warning screen? Im really attracted to the Kenwood models, but God that would get annoying if I had to close it every time I started my car.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:52 AM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wrigy3
After some research about the Kenwoods, ive read that there is a pretty annoying "Warning Screen" that pops up and you have to manually close it every time you start the car. Is that an option you can somehow remove? Or has there been an update that allows you to set a Timer on the warning screen? Im really attracted to the Kenwood models, but God that would get annoying if I had to close it every time I started my car.
Yes, you tap the "agree" each time it starts up, no way to bypass it. After a few times, it's just kind of a mindless tap that I don't even think about anymore.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 01-04-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:55 AM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdvann
Do you have a link to the tutorial you mention above?
Here ya go:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 01-04-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tell me about your aftermarket head-unit! (Advice Welcome)

Old 01-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Naaman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

OP:

This particular feature isn't on your list, but have you considered looking into a head unit with 1 or more USB ports? I bought one specifically for listening to music: I can store gigs and gigs on a 1 cm.sq. and it's all sorted by folders/files, etc. The USB also charges the phone without need for a "car charger."

Last edited by Naaman; 01-04-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thanks for all the quick feedback everyone! Ill be sure to do some research on what yall recommended and give Dennis a call in the next few days!
thanks
i am leaving for CES tomorrow morning in Vegas. All the new radios will be released tomorrow

with this said the Kenwood DDX9903S is my suggestion for everything you will want.
Has the Linux based OS so startup time is the quickest of any radio currently on market

has Android Auto
Has dual usb
Has Capacitive touch screen
can run front and rear cameras

the only new Kenwood option coming I can give you model number for starting tomorrow is a mexhless CarPlay and or Android Auto Unit that will allow for a new front drive recordered to be connected and co trolled via radio.
This radios ships end of Fed and recorder In April

the 9903 to me is still the way to go for the capacitive touch screen.
http://shopddmods-com.3dcartstores.com/Kenwood-DDX9903S-C6-CORVETTE-INSTALLATION-PACKAGE-_p_300.html

call me as well and I can answer all your questions.
Will be around yet today. Then back Monday.

Thanks everyone above above for the recommendations.
Dennis
Old 01-04-2017, 08:10 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

All radios have this no matter which brand have this.
With everyone bypassing safety features on radio it's a way to make sure You agree that if you are messing with radio or watching movie while driving it's your fault should something go wrong and Not the manufacturer or place purchases as you agreed to the warning.

Quick Reply: Tell me about your aftermarket head-unit! (Advice Welcome)