C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have This Front Lip?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:48 PM
McFetty
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you make it fit?

Originally Posted by drthomas60
Got mine from Ebay and mounted with screws and speed nuts on the back side, someone told me if I hit something be prepared to take a pound of bumper off. I guess if it happens I can replace the front fascia and get rid of the ugly license holder that is riveted on. Funny part is that i prepped it and primered and painted it a bright victory red with duplicolor touch up paint cans, several coats of both and even a couple of coats of clear, i was really proud because it looked really good. I picked it up to mount it and noticed a small crack in the paint, well within a few minutes later i had sucessfully scrapped every single bit of paint and primer off and back to original finish. I went ahead and mounted it without paint. preparation of plastic is a science prior to paintingI'm a believer. Good Luck. Attachment 48062991
That looks good. I purchased the same lip on eBay for my base C6 and it will not go on nice. I pretty upset because I drilled a few holes for a lip that I am unable to install.

You use any tricks to make it work? Did you have to heat gun it and virtually remould the thing to the right shape?

Mine is so far off it almost seems like it is meant for Z06/GS. I can't believe anyone would leave positive feedback for a part that fits this poorly.

Please help.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:34 AM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Why do you guys keep insisting with eBay items?! I am not saying go all out but $120 for a plastic front lip for a CORVETTE! Come on guys, do it once, do it right! Take pride on the cars you drive..
Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am thinking that some of these ZR1 style front chin splitters that people here say don't fit on there cars are the wrong splitters to begin with.

The aftermarket ZR1 style front chin splitters that are made for installing on a GS / Z06 will not fit a base C6 .... Nor will the splitters made for the base C6 fit on the GS / Z06.

The deal is ... an OEM ZR1 front chin splitter from GM costs about $1,500 and is only available in real 100% carbon fiber .... All the rest of these ZR1 style front chin splitters are aftermarket.

I don't know a thing about the aftermarket front chin splitters made for the base C6, but I can tell you that the splitter below which is made for the GS / Z06 fits perfectly. You remove your stock GS / Z06 splitter, and then install the aftermarket one. The only negative is that you need to drill the mounting holes in it yourself, so don't screw that one up.

Here is the ebay link to the one made for the GS / Z06:
BTW ... It looks good right out of the box and really does not need paint or any other finish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-05-13-Co...tXR6Tz&vxp=mtr

A few photos of this splitter installed on my 2011 GS:

Attachment 48333514

Attachment 48339847

BTW ... Here is the exact same splitter on the GS owned by 'Not So Fast' :

The following users liked this post:
atlas094 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:33 AM
atlas094
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo6TA,

Nice install. Where you able to just make a mounting hole template from your GS OEM splitter or needed something else to get the aftermarket located and centered nicely as shown in your pics?
Old 05-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I just joined the new splitter up to the stock splitter with some tape and then drilled the holes, but I think making some kind of template would be a better idea.

In my case, I had to elongate the holes I drilled a little in order to get the new splitter to match up exactly where I wanted it to be.

Takes some playing around ...

I may get under the front of the car again and do some minor adjusting to the new splitter. It's pretty good now, but could be positioned a little better.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-21-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

BTW ... This splitter is also a good alternative if you damage your OEM GS / Z06 splitter to the point that you need to buy a new one.

The cheapest you will find the GM OEM splitter (P/N: 15834249) is about $250 + shipping.

This splitter is $165 to your door !

Looks better too.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:21 PM
McFetty
4th Gear

Originally Posted by StallionCorvette
Why do you guys keep insisting with eBay items?! I am not saying go all out but $120 for a plastic front lip for a CORVETTE! Come on guys, do it once, do it right! Take pride on the cars you drive..
Hey vettes are getting affordable now so some of us are poor haha. Lesson learned though. I am going to try to sell the cheap splitter at a loss and make something on my own now. I laser scanned the front of my vette today so I can make something that is actually accurate, unlike these eBay lips that are accurate to about +/- 4 inches.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:25 PM
McFetty
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I am thinking that some of these ZR1 style front chin splitters that people here say don't fit on there cars are the wrong splitters to begin with.

The aftermarket ZR1 style front chin splitters that are made for installing on a GS / Z06 will not fit a base C6 .... Nor will the splitters made for the base C6 fit on the GS / Z06.
The posting on eBay for the one I purchased specifically said it was only for a base C6. It is possible they sent me the wrong one I guess. I was wondering if it was for a Z06 because it seems too wide for my C6.

Last edited by McFetty; 05-21-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by McFetty

The posting on eBay for the one I purchased specifically said it was only for a base C6. It is possible they sent me the wrong one I guess. I was wondering if it was for a Z06 because it seems too wide for my C6.
Very possible ...
Old 05-22-2017, 04:56 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by McFetty
Is this the one you bought for your base?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221681196807...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dumb question.....does this take the place of the regular 3 pc chin spoiler on the base models?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 PM
McFetty
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jbomx363
Is this the one you bought for your base?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221681196807...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dumb question.....does this take the place of the regular 3 pc chin spoiler on the base models?
That is not the specific one I purchased but I guarantee its from the same manufacturer. Also note that the sellers are from China they just warehouse the parts here so they can claim "US seller."

Also in some pictures I've seen it looks like people leave OEM 3 piece under there. I would expect that you should actually remove the outside ends of the OEM one but mine won't work either way.

I highly recommend you don't purchase the cheap one. I'll let you know if the seller ever agrees that they sent me the wrong splitter.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 PM
don2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
not sure why everyone is posting ZL1 style splitters, thats not what he posted, its a totally different style that i have been looking at as well.
i liked it because it goes over the front lip of the bumper, not hangs completely below it like the Zr1 style.
i have a steep driveway and trailer the car so the low hanging Zr1 style is a no go for me. the ebay one posted by the OP has a chance to not be so low. because it starts higher up on the bumper.

note how the top of the splitter/ground effects/air damn is actually starting at the TOP of the bottom of the grill opening.
The Zr1 style hangs completely below the BOTTOM of the bumper
I have that same splitter but custom painted. I love the look of it. Maybe this pic will change minds...
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2017, 07:31 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by don2000
I have that same splitter but custom painted. I love the look of it. Maybe this pic will change minds...
No. It still looks ugly as hell, but if you like it that's all that matters....
Old 05-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
No. It still looks ugly as hell, but if you like it that's all that matters....
Ouch Ed, it does look better than the unpainted version thou. Which I agree is really butt ugly
NSF
Old 05-25-2017, 01:36 PM
ZachLegend
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Gees mean ^^^^

I actually think it looks good, especially painted!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:57 PM
don2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZachLegend
Gees mean ^^^^

I actually think it looks good, especially painted!
I know right??? It looks way better in person. Pics don't do it justice lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Have This Front Lip?