C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another owner stuck in key fob hell. Please help me

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Kipprc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another owner stuck in key fob hell. Please help me

I have read the book and I have read through several threads in the forum including the "Comprehensive Key Fob Instructions" thread.
Car: 2007 base
Problem: no start, no key fobs detected
The problem was noticed on Sunday. The car wouldn't start. The has mostly sat since being purchased used 2 weeks ago. I have gone through the entire key fob reprogramming procedure and the car recognizes the fobs as being programed, but does not unlock/lock or start the car at the end of the procedure. It will say the fobs (2) were programed when I stick them in when the DIC requests fob#3. It then says no fobs detected after that. I replaced the batteries in both fobs and the car. When I try and hit the ignition button or ACC all I get is clicking and lights flashing almost as if there is a short in the system. What am I missing? Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Last edited by Kipprc; 01-23-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Make sure the car battery is good and charged up. Also make sure battery cables are making good contact. These cars eat batteries, so if its going to sit for more than a couple of days, keep it on a trickle charger or maintainer. Also, just because you bought new fob batteries doesn't mean that they are good. You may want to try another fob battery.

Last edited by LMB-Z; 01-23-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Make sure the car battery is good and charged up. Also make sure battery cables are making good contact. These cars eat batteries, so if its going to sit for more than a couple of days, keep it on a trickle charger or maintainer. Also, just because you bought new fob batteries doesn't mean that they are good. You may want to try another fob battery.
If it's been sitting for 2 weeks there's a good chance the car battery is dead or extremely weak. Good luck
Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
If it's been sitting for 2 weeks there's a good chance the car battery is dead or extremely weak. Good luck
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I agree the car battery is probably weak. And I'll say again, if you get no fob detected out of the blue do not start trying to reprogram the fob. They do not spontaneously loose their mind.
The following 3 users liked this post by EVRose:
FortMorganAl (01-27-2017), owc6 (01-23-2017), PA_BLUE_C6 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Ira T
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

But he said he replaced the car battery also. I'd say it is a bad connection at the car battery.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

If you replaced the car battery (missed that part earlier) and you are getting a clicking sound, check all the battery connections, connection to the starter, and ground connection.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira T
But he said he replaced the car battery also. I'd say it is a bad connection at the car battery.
And he could have made it worse by trying to reprogram the fobs.

Although, given the narrative, it does sound like the battery connections are not sound, or it could be a bad new battery. This happens more than most people think.

Last edited by owc6; 01-23-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:28 AM
Kipprc
Intermediate

I will check the battery post to ground connection when I get off of work. Hopefully the battery isn't dead, but I will check it again. The original battery was from July 2004, so I am pretty sure it was dead. The car has been driven twice in the 2 weeks of ownership.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:36 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You need to check the cable connections at the starter also, not just at the battery. Also, you never mentioned trying to start the car with the fob in the slot...this is the backup way to start the car.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:43 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

A lot of times, these "new" batteries sit on the shelf for who knows how long, or how long it was built and charge before heading off to the store. They usually need to be fully charged either before putting in the vehicle, or immediately after putting in the vehicle. Same for the fob batteries, just because its a new package does not mean they are still good.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,347 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kipprc
I will check the battery post to ground connection when I get off of work. Hopefully the battery isn't dead, but I will check it again. The original battery was from July 2004, so I am pretty sure it was dead. The car has been driven twice in the 2 weeks of ownership.
Unless the DIC says "no fob detected" it is not the fobs.
When you replaced the batter did you use the cone nuts to tighten the clamps?
Especially if the car has headers check the starter solenoid connection for burned bakelight.
The following users liked this post:
PA_BLUE_C6 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Kipprc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cclive
You need to check the cable connections at the starter also, not just at the battery. Also, you never mentioned trying to start the car with the fob in the slot...this is the backup way to start the car.
I did try to do that, but the car will not start with the fob in the slot. It says no fobs found when I try that.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:49 PM
CONVERT06
1st Gear

I went through the exact same thing, read everything I could, replaced the battery, charged the car battery, tried reprogramming the fob and nothing. So I wound up unfortunately at the dealer. Ended up being what they said was the remote module so with reprogramming two fobs try $625. Not fun.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Equally important is the other end of the ground cable.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Kipprc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Unless the DIC says "no fob detected" it is not the fobs.
When you replaced the batter did you use the cone nuts to tighten the clamps?
Especially if the car has headers check the starter solenoid connection for burned bakelight.
The car said no fobs detected after I tried to start it up. At the end of the reprogram though it recognized the fobs as being detected. I used the cone nuts that came with the battery when I replaced the battery.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Kipprc
Intermediate

Car wouldn't start with the fob in the slot.

Get notified of new replies

To Another owner stuck in key fob hell. Please help me

Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM
Kipprc
Intermediate

Well I just got the emergency start mode to work and promptly took it to the dealer. I like doing work on cars, but when it appears to be electrical I pass it off. On another it has been a while since I have been to a dealership. I had no idea diagnostic fees went from $100 to $166 and now they don't get absorbed into the cost of work. What a rip off.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:10 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kipprc
Well I just got the emergency start mode to work and promptly took it to the dealer. I like doing work on cars, but when it appears to be electrical I pass it off. On another it has been a while since I have been to a dealership. I had no idea diagnostic fees went from $100 to $166 and now they don't get absorbed into the cost of work. What a rip off.
Please let us know what it was.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Emergency start mode? Do you mean fob in glove box slot? If so that pretty much rules out a car battery problem and indIcates a fob battery problem. Either that or remote receiver isn't working.

Quick Reply: Another owner stuck in key fob hell. Please help me