C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging only at partial throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Brandon Cole Hurdle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Surging only at partial throttle

This is driving me insane. So I ported my intake and throttle body last month. I put it all back together and besides a higher than normal idle (1200rpm) it ran great. I drove it a few days out of the week with no problems at all. Randomly this past Wednesday it decied to start surging/sputtering at partial throttle. My AFR runs up lean when I give it alittle gas and the car starts jerking and surging. The next day I was scheduled for a tune and it drove like **** all the way there on the highway. WOT dyno pulls were as smooth as they could be and tuner said fuel tabes looked fine. I even picked up 22whp from my ported intake! But as soon as I started the drive home I had the same problem. Most wot pulls are perfectly fine but trying to drive like a normal person is annoying and almost impossible? I've checked for vaccume leaks with started fluid and propane and found nothing. I changed plugs and that seems to help maybe alittle but still not right. Now I have no clue? Any ideas
Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Cole Hurdle
This is driving me insane. So I ported my intake and throttle body last month. I put it all back together and besides a higher than normal idle (1200rpm) it ran great. I drove it a few days out of the week with no problems at all. Randomly this past Wednesday it decied to start surging/sputtering at partial throttle. My AFR runs up lean when I give it alittle gas and the car starts jerking and surging. The next day I was scheduled for a tune and it drove like **** all the way there on the highway. WOT dyno pulls were as smooth as they could be and tuner said fuel tabes looked fine. I even picked up 22whp from my ported intake! But as soon as I started the drive home I had the same problem. Most wot pulls are perfectly fine but trying to drive like a normal person is annoying and almost impossible? I've checked for vaccume leaks with started fluid and propane and found nothing. I changed plugs and that seems to help maybe alittle but still not right. Now I have no clue? Any ideas
lots have damaged a tb when porting
Old 01-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Brandon Cole Hurdle
Advanced

My first thought was that I messed up the throttle body but it's weird it ran perfectly fine with the ported tb for a week or 2 then randomly started acting up
Old 01-28-2017, 09:10 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

When I read the title of this I immediately thought "ported TB".

Read post 15 (start there) --> https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592298998

Hope that helps explain a little. I put one in my C7 and removed it after similar experiences. Many of these work fantastic, but I didn't want to deal with it...
Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

My first thought was that I messed up the throttle body but it's weird it ran perfectly fine with the ported tb for a week or 2 then randomly started acting up
The higher than normal idle and lean ...u sure u don't have a vacuum leak ??

I ran into same random issue when I installed my 102 manifold, ended up being one of the plastic lines leaking just behind the throttle body ....

Dave
Old 01-28-2017, 11:52 PM
Brandon Cole Hurdle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dcasole
The higher than normal idle and lean ...u sure u don't have a vacuum leak ??

I ran into same random issue when I installed my 102 manifold, ended up being one of the plastic lines leaking just behind the throttle body ....

Dave
I've checked for leaks didn't find any. My first thought was that since I cut out the ridges in the tb it's getting more air through causing the high idle. Which is annoying but I don't think it's related to the surging because it was fine driving for weeks like that then randomly started the surge
Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Brandon Cole Hurdle
Advanced

Originally Posted by devnull
When I read the title of this I immediately thought "ported TB".

Read post 15 (start there) --> https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592298998

Hope that helps explain a little. I put one in my C7 and removed it after similar experiences. Many of these work fantastic, but I didn't want to deal with it...
It's weird that it was fine for weeks driving then started but that's exactly how mine is. 20% throttle it's bad cause I got rid of that whole ridge and noticed the space difference. That's a really good point.... damn I'll try switching to a stock one thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Let us know how it works out ,look for signs of a leak when u take the manifold off

Dave
Old 01-29-2017, 01:28 PM
Brandon Cole Hurdle
Advanced

So this is interesting. I washed it this morning and hooked up my scan tool to go for a short drive and see if it reads a misfire or something weird in the throttle position but it ran flawless. No problems at all.....
Old 01-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I am telling you , look at that plastic vacuum line to the left of the engine just behind the throttle body , my LS3 plastic coil cover was rubbing on mine as it does not line up as well as it did when I had my stock LS3 manifold , this caused a slight misalignment in the tube to the joint which was leaking intermittent. drove me nuts until I wiggled it and my IDLE instantly returned to the correct RPM's . These hoses are not like the old rubber hoses , they have to be perfectly aligned to the nipple or the grey locking ring will not latch. Also check the one on the other side
Also check the MAP and MAF sensors . If you took the MAF out there is an arrow engraved on it to show the correct airflow direction .

It ran before you took it off and I am having a hard time believing that PORTING would cause it to surge " SOMETIMES" . if it was the porting it would do it all the time
Old 01-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I've checked for leaks didn't find any. My first thought was that since I cut out the ridges in the tb it's getting more air through causing the high idle. Which is annoying but I don't think it's related to the surging because it was fine driving for weeks like that then randomly started the surge
This would not make the car idle faster ......

Dave
Old 02-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Brandon Cole Hurdle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dcasole
This would not make the car idle faster ......

Dave
what i meant by that is i got to low under the blade which would cause i higher idle. and ever since sunday I've had no problems the partial throttle surge is gone. runs like a bat outa hell. i have no idea what caused it but i have no doubts it will come back again.

Get notified of new replies

To Surging only at partial throttle

Quick Reply: Surging only at partial throttle