C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 ZHZ wheel fitment. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:11 AM
Csalads09
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6 ZHZ wheel fitment. HELP!

Hi All,

I'm graduating from my C5 Z06 to a 2008 C6 ZHZ coupe. I know limited production units are hard to get accurate information on but I have a question about wheels on the ZHZ that you can hopefully help with.

As stated before, the car in question is a 2008 ZHZ coupe. The wheels on the car right now are quite large aftermarket wheels, I'd have to say 21 inch? If that's even a possible fitment. And frankly, kinda tacky looking.

I obviously want to put C6 wheels on (base model, Z06, GS, not sure yet). I know the ZHZ has larger brakes so the 18 inch fronts and 19 inch rears on the base are more than likely not going to work. I wonder what the proper size/fitment is on the ZHZ's.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding much on the internet. My best guess would be Z06 spec wheels? Does anyone know what that fitment is? Diameter is the main issue here.

Any and all input would be highly appreciated!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:07 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

ZHZ had base fitment for wheels. They had standard brakes on all ZHZ models. They also all had F55 suspension and NPP exhaust. If your ZHZ has big brakes then it did not come with them. Wheels were Front: 18x8.5 245 40ZR18 Rear: 19x10 285 /35ZR19.

Brakes seen here are standard on ZHZ. Only they weren't painted yellow.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:12 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

These are factory big brakes on top and a few other brands as well. Let us know which you have.

OEM Z06

OEM Z07/ZR1

Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

you didn't buy a "limited production unit" you bought a rental car what do you think ZHZ stands for? try HERTZ obviously someone bought it after it's term as a rental and put those wheels on it, base/Z51 wheels won't fit without spacers, just look for a set of stock ZO6 wheels or aftermarket made for that fitment.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:35 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
you didn't buy a "limited production unit" you bought a rental car what do you think ZHZ stands for? try HERTZ obviously someone bought it after it's term as a rental and put those wheels on it, base/Z51 wheels won't fit without spacers, just look for a set of stock ZO6 wheels or aftermarket made for that fitment.
it's basically just a base corvette with badging and stripes, so whatever fits a base coupe will fit the zhz
The following users liked this post:
Csalads09 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Csalads09
Advanced

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Originally Posted by User Omega
These are factory big brakes on top and a few other brands as well. Let us know which you have.

OEM Z06

OEM Z07/ZR1

Originally Posted by User Omega
ZHZ had base fitment for wheels. They had standard brakes on all ZHZ models. They also all had F55 suspension and NPP exhaust. If your ZHZ has big brakes then it did not come with them. Wheels were Front: 18x8.5 245 40ZR18 Rear: 19x10 285 /35ZR19.

Brakes seen here are standard on ZHZ. Only they weren't painted yellow.

Thanks for the input guys, I was unaware that this was a rental car TBH. I thought the tie in with Hertz meant it was similar to the 2005-2008 Mustang thing they did. Whoops!

I'm going by the ZHZ Registry: http://www.corvettezhzregistry.com/?p=52

But hey, not everything you read on the internet is true! Specifically referring to "Special limited edition built by General Motors"

As per the brakes, I was going off of "Larger cross-drilled rotors"

I'm gonna get the car to a shop at some point so I can inspect it myself on a lift at some point this week. Here's a picture of the wheel where you can see the brake via the seller. I've distorted the color a bit so the brake setup can be seen a little better.

I'd be happy if I can get some GS/Z06 wheels on that sucker. These just aren't my style. If all goes well and I end up pulling the trigger on the car these wheels will end up on here and Craigslist for very cheap

Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Csalads09
Thanks for the input guys, I was unaware that this was a rental car TBH. I thought the tie in with Hertz meant it was similar to the 2005-2008 Mustang thing they did. Whoops!

I'm going by the ZHZ Registry: http://www.corvettezhzregistry.com/?p=52

But hey, not everything you read on the internet is true! Specifically referring to "Special limited edition built by General Motors"

As per the brakes, I was going off of "Larger cross-drilled rotors"

I'm gonna get the car to a shop at some point so I can inspect it myself on a lift at some point this week. Here's a picture of the wheel where you can see the brake via the seller. I've distorted the color a bit so the brake setup can be seen a little better.

I'd be happy if I can get some GS/Z06 wheels on that sucker. These just aren't my style. If all goes well and I end up pulling the trigger on the car these wheels will end up on here and Craigslist for very cheap

Looks like the standard Z51 rotors on the car. Not sure about the Z06 size wheels fitting a base model, but there are replicas made that look like Z06's or GS type wheels in the aftermarket scene.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Csalads09
Advanced

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Looks like the standard Z51 rotors on the car. Not sure about the Z06 size wheels fitting a base model, but there are replicas made that look like Z06's or GS type wheels in the aftermarket scene.
Thanks! Hey you live right down the road from me! (Basking Ridge)

I thought they looked a tad larger than stock C6 rotors. I've seen a few reps floating around eBay. So if the 18/19 base setup won't fit I believe I should be on the lookout for a 19/20 setup?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Yeah, those are regular Z51 brakes so you need regular base corvette wheels. The Z06 or GS wheels will stick out too far. I bet you can find someone to trade you via craigslist etc. I see the car has a Carbon fiber lip as well. Post some more pics of the car, maybe we can tell what other upgraded goodies it has.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Thanks! Hey you live right down the road from me! (Basking Ridge)

I thought they looked a tad larger than stock C6 rotors. I've seen a few reps floating around eBay. So if the 18/19 base setup won't fit I believe I should be on the lookout for a 19/20 setup?

Thanks!
BR...
You can also look for stock C7's take off's in the 19 and 20's. I think they bolt right up.

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-30-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

The stock ZHZ wheels (in the second post) were actually excellent wheels if you like chrome. Unlike most base C6 wheels they were forged, so they are light and strong. But as others have said, any base (not Z06/GS/ZR1) wheel will fit over the J55 brakes.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I thought they looked a tad larger than stock C6 rotors.
They aren't any bigger than base rotors. The only difference between Z51 and base are the holes.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Csalads09
Advanced

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Yeah, those are regular Z51 brakes so you need regular base corvette wheels. The Z06 or GS wheels will stick out too far. I bet you can find someone to trade you via craigslist etc. I see the car has a Carbon fiber lip as well. Post some more pics of the car, maybe we can tell what other upgraded goodies it has.
Thanks. Will do when I get home from the office. He emailed me a bunch of photos. He's got what appears to be a Z06 front bumper (with the slit in the center), the CF front splitter and some sort of matching lip on the rear. Will post photos when I get a minute
Old 01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
They aren't any bigger than base rotors. The only difference between Z51 and base are the holes.
the Z51 rotors were larger cross drilled rotors than base though, but stock wheels still fit.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcandrew67:
Csalads09 (01-30-2017), FAUEE (10-14-2023)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Geez! I can't believe the amount of poor/bad/mis-informed info on this thread.

The 2008 ZHZ was a 500 unit special limited run base car produced for Hertz at the end of standard '08 MY production. In addition to nearly every option available, it had special Hertz identification items. Almost, but not every one, was used as a regular Hertz rental and then eventually sold to the general public.

One of the options was the F55 mag-ride that included J55 brakes, also often referred to (in ignorance) as Z51 brakes. They have larger rotors than the standard J9L brakes and are drilled. All C6 base wheels, regardless of year, style. or brakes are the same size. The ZHZ used a 7-spoke wheel (shown in post #2 along with the J55 brakes) that later became a dealer available option and due to the limited quantity manufactured are unique and somewhat rare. The Z06 and GS wheels are wider and require wider tires, which will stick out beyond the body of a base car.

Check the list of options on the glovebox lid and also go to http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/2008/ for more info about options and other items of interest about your '08.

BTW, one of the forum members bought one with about 50K on the odometer and sold it with more than 270K showing. She said she only spent slightly over $1K on repairs beyond normal maintenance. Just because it was a rental doesn't mean it's a POS.
Csalads09 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

The 2008 ZHZ was a 500 unit special limited run base car produced for Hertz at the end of standard '08 MY production. In addition to nearly every option available, it had special Hertz identification items. Almost, but not every one, was used as a regular Hertz rental and then eventually sold to the general public.

One of the options was the F55 mag-ride that included J55 brakes, also often referred to (in ignorance) as Z51 brakes. They have larger rotors than the standard J9L brakes and are drilled. All C6 base wheels, regardless of year, style. or brakes are the same size. The ZHZ used a 7-spoke wheel (shown in post #2 along with the J55 brakes) that later became a dealer available option and due to the limited quantity manufactured are unique and somewhat rare. The Z06 and GS wheels are wider and require wider tires, which will stick out beyond the body of a base car.

Check the list of options on the glovebox lid and also go to http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/2008/ for more info about options and other items of interest about your '08.

BTW, one of the forum members bought one with about 50K on the odometer and sold it with more than 270K showing. She said she only spent slightly over $1K on repairs beyond normal maintenance. Just because it was a rental doesn't mean it's a POS.

should be "end of discussion"................or so we hope.....
Old 01-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I always liked the ZHZ wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 ZHZ wheel fitment. HELP!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Csalads09
Advanced

Wow! Thanks for all the insight!

I found a set of lightly used base C6 wheels ('08 MY) that seem to be more realistic because the only ZHZ 7-spokes I found cost an arm and a leg, or they were for local pickup far from me. Problem solved! That's what I'll be going with if all is well with the car.

From what I understood from the ZHZ Corvette Registry, they come with a dual mode exhaust, no sense in hacking that up and swapping it with another unit I take. Or is there?

I'll definitely be slapping an intake of some kind in there if the deal goes through. Maybe a few cosmetic goodies as well.

Lastly I completely agree with the forum member who drove it til 270k before selling because that's EXACTLY what I plan to do. I bought my C5 Z06 with 17k miles on it and accumulated well over 200k before passing it along to my brother. Same with my base C5. I think I had 212k on it when I sold it. That's what I love about these cars. Try doing that with any of my other toys and I'll be in debt for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your help, really!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Except the ones where guys like a few friends I know would go rent them, put a 150 shot on it and make pulls until the mother bottle ran dry.. The first time they rented it we ran the wiring through the window. Later on they used a hole saw and ran everything through the passenger side floorboard.

It does happen. How common that is? I have no clue.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:11 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

There was actually a YouTube video of a guy putting a 150 shot on a ZHZ. He ran it for the weekend, then returned the car to Hertz. No thanks. Just go to YouTube and search ZHZ Corvette. Too many folks abusing them.

Last edited by LMB-Z; 01-30-2017 at 10:16 PM.
FAUEE (10-14-2023)

Quick Reply: C6 ZHZ wheel fitment. HELP!