C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by rn53982
So I just got my C6 in February, and the first thing I had done was tinted windows, tinted tail lights, and side markers.

Just yesterday afternoon I installed tint on my headlights and foglights at 5%. I LOVE the look, but will say from a visibility standpoint I may have to remove and go lighter, or only drive during the day. I was out last night in town and with the high beams on there was very little light output. Had I been out on darker country roads it may not have been safe.

Looks good, But it does appear to be very, very dark. I used lamin-x gun-smoke film, not as dark as yours and I haven't driven at night yet but according to the lamin-x dealer I can expect just under 30% light loss. But then I hardly ever drive at night anyways. However I am considering switching over to the brighter LED lights.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:47 PM
kenoverbey
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tefer
Not sure who your question is directed to but I'll answer.
I purchased my black side markers with LED'S from corvette mods. I'm sure many other vendors also sell them. The side marker are really quite simple to remove and replace. The fronts just remove a few screws from the inner fender liner and reach in and squeeze a couple little plastic tabs and they will pop right out. For the rears remove the outer tail light reach in and do the same. Hope this helps.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2017, 05:45 PM
rn53982
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Your headlights are WAY DARK, I put Lamin-X Gun smoke on mine and I thought it was dark, but its way lighter than yours. I haven't had it out at nite but it looks to be about 10-15% less light output. I will take it out tonite and see how it is
NSF

They were way darker than I anticipated. I would be interested in hearing you opinion on light output when you are able to take yours out at night. I may have to take mine off and go with something comparable to yours.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Tefer
Looks good, But it does appear to be very, very dark. I used lamin-x gun-smoke film, not as dark as yours and I haven't driven at night yet but according to the lamin-x dealer I can expect just under 30% light loss. But then I hardly ever drive at night anyways. However I am considering switching over to the brighter LED lights.
Went for a drive last night to check out the light output. As stated I hardly ever drive at night but wanted to see if there was enough light output to see clearly and be safe. I chose a dark back road and imo there is plenty of light to see the road ahead clearly with no safety issues. I'm sure you do loose a little light output but not enough to worry about.
Still considering the brighter LED's although I really don't think it's necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (05-27-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 02:09 PM
MattxFatal
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38Cig
I used VHT nightshade plus clear then plastic polish, replaced all the lights with brighter LEDS. Total cost less than $80

Wow, this is the best look I've seen. Could you please tell me what bulb kit you picked up? Do you have a daytime photo of the tail lights? How polished were you able to get them looking with the clear?
Old 11-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
If you are going that route, I would suggest getting some tinted LED tail lights from JWMotoring. Those have a painted tint and since they are LED, the lights are still bright in the daytime as well as at night.

I would advise against using acrylic black covers on OEM tail lights as that will compromise the light output, especially in the daytime. You could be found at fault if you were in an accident and the other party claims they couldn't see your brake lights.

I had the JWMotoring dark tint but eventually went with the JWM RED led tail lights.

JWM RED led tail lights on the left.

+1 for these! I have the JWM red tint tails and they are fantastic. Has a darker cherry red look which I love. The OEM tails and the regular Eagle Eyes have too much of a bright red appearance.

I'm personally not a fan of blacking out the tails because it just looks like four huge voids on the bumper. I do have my side markers blacked out though which looks great.

Quick Reply: Tinted lights