C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 product reviews...Rhino Ramps & Zee Creeper

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:38 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts
Default 2 product reviews...Rhino Ramps & Zee Creeper

Some of you know I just got my '08 Corvette a week or so ago. As with any new-to-you vehicle, it is necessary to assess one's inventory of tools.

With the Silverado 4x4 I formerly owned, I had no need for ramps. Not so with the Corvette. I researched Harbor Freight's Magnum ramps, and Wal-Mart's Rhino Ramps. The Magnum ramps are rated at 4,000 pounds per wheel/ramp. Rhino's are 3,000 pounds per wheel/ramp. Both have a ramp height of 8.5". There are several significant differences, though. The Magnum ramps are only 8.5" wide, while the Rhino Ramps are 10.5" wide. Since our base stock rear tires tread width varies between 10" and 11", score a point for Rhino Ramps. And, the Rhino Ramps "nest" for storage, which the Magnum's do not. The Rhino's are $32 online, and the Magnum's are $37 at the store. Last, but not least, the Rhino's are made in the USA...I could not confirm where Magnum's are made. Sooooo, I bought the Rhino's. In use, I was able to back up onto them on my slick painted garage floor without them moving. They have a small built-in rubber pad that grips the floor with the weight of the vehicle to keep them from slipping. Made the install of new rear sway bar end links a lot easier.

Although I have a creeper, it is pretty worn. Thinking I needed a new one, I saw the interesting "Z Creeper" at Wal-Mart. It is a normal size creeper that also folds into a rolling seat. I bought it, and am amazed at how well-made it is. It goes from creeper to a seat and back by simply pulling on a spring-loaded clevis pin. It is very comfortable. So, you can wax and polish the sides, front, and rear of your Vette, or scrub the wheels, while sitting down. It supports up to 300 pounds. Since I am just a buck-fifty, no sweat for me. For those who need more support, there are heavy-duty models available for a little more $.

All in all, it was a darn good day. I just wanted to share this with anyone who might be interested.
Attached Images      

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-10-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:46 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Always put some sort of a jack or jack stands when using those ramps. They are known to crack.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Always put some sort of a jack or jack stands when using those ramps. They are known to crack.
thanks for the reminder, which should be a no-brainer, but not for everyone. As for cracking, do you have any specifics as to brand, or any references for such accidents. I would surely like to find out if this brand is known to crack, or if it were just a "plastic ramp" that cracked.

I checked as many ratings as I could, and they were all very high.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=926496

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...Number=1896600

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/vo...hino-ramp.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=112080
Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

I found two of those last night after I posted. It is a cause for concern, though I always use jack stands. If practical, I also leave the jack in place under the vehicle.

Thanks for the posts.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 product reviews...Rhino Ramps & Zee Creeper

Quick Reply: 2 product reviews...Rhino Ramps & Zee Creeper