C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delco parts vs. GM parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

So if given the choice which brand part is better to use for replacement of batteries, and brake pads?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
So if given the choice which brand part is better to use for replacement of batteries, and brake pads?
If you are happy with the performance of your brakes for the driving that you do, just keep using the OE pads. Higher performance pads have tradeoffs in other areas, ie the OE pads on my GS (Z06, ZR1 w/o carbon brakes) dust like crazy, but offer great stopping power/fade resistance.
As far as batteries go you will get wildly varying opinions. I have used batteries from almost every major brand out there with very different results. Lately I have had good luck with Interstate and A/C Delco.
If you are satisfied with the service life that you are getting from the OE parts on your car and are not looking for a higher level of performance I see no reason to switch from OE parts.
The following users liked this post:
I B Old (11-03-2019)
Old 02-13-2017, 01:13 PM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
If you are happy with the performance of your brakes for the driving that you do, just keep using the OE pads. Higher performance pads have tradeoffs in other areas, ie the OE pads on my GS (Z06, ZR1 w/o carbon brakes) dust like crazy, but offer great stopping power/fade resistance.
As far as batteries go you will get wildly varying opinions. I have used batteries from almost every major brand out there with very different results. Lately I have had good luck with Interstate and A/C Delco.
If you are satisfied with the service life that you are getting from the OE parts on your car and are not looking for a higher level of performance I see no reason to switch from OE parts.
There are many after market parts out there including AC Delco Most are cheaper than GM parts but who knows the quality of the part you are getting. They may even be the same or better.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
My current factory battery on 2005 Corvette still works and as stated on battery it's a 6 year battery. It has now been over 12 years and it still starts up. But I will be switching over soon to a new AC Delco that is a sealed battery Gold battery 650 cca to be safe with 42 month warranty.

As far as brake pads go I was told to get the premium brake pads from AC Delco.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:41 PM
gsuburban
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe so however, there is now AC Delco Professional parts available. One thing however, the OEM parts GM, all of it comes from China. And the AC Delco parts are sold by the dealership fluently without fail. I purchased an A/C Compressor from Chevy Parts Dept because I wanted the OEM quality and the packaging printing read China on all of it. This also happened when I was purchasing "OEM" parts for my older '89 Suburban as I wanted to get what I could that I knew I would need years later as parts were being discontinued. So, I ordered all I could think of, exterior trim parts, lamp housings, grille, plastics etc. and many of the packages had China printed all over.

This is one reason why I refuse to go to the dealership for parts anymore. I'm perfectly pleased by supporting Gates, Wix, Moog, Timken, Cloyes, TRW, Wagner, Raybestos, Dorman, Borg Warner etc. and the other quality aftermarket parts. They have as good a warranty, priced less, available always and perform as good as the "OEM China" brand.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:47 PM
gsuburban
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Who's on first?
What's on second and I don't know is on third.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:47 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Learned something NEW today - I am just not sure what it is yet
Old 02-14-2019, 02:50 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
Learned something NEW today - I am just not sure what it is yet
I like cake.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:56 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I like to use AC Delco wax - better than OEM plus I like cake.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM
gsuburban
5th Gear

Lots of things have changed since the real deal of auto makers of the 60's and 70's. Over the years they have changed such as with GM and their engines. Initially for years, Pontiac, Chevy, Olds, Buick, GMC etc. all had their own engine plants. No longer about 20 years or so ago. They are all the same plant today. One thing to consider from the past couple of decades is when HP, Hewlett Packard Company, was initially started by two engineers and ran that company as such, they grew and grew due to their innovation and customer support among other good points. Over time, CEO's changed and in the later 1990's, the board brought in Carley (female, no pun intended) with a very large compensation package and the board did not check into her background in great detail. She took the job and in no time, HP did away with customer/device support to their products that were a few years old and older. As technology changed, HP devices couldn't be used because HP wouldn't write new drivers, firmware and software to support those devices with newer operating systems etc. That had a huge impact with HP sales and customer retention. It was only a short 2-3 years later, the board discovered Carley wasn't being honest with her quarterly corp reports and so forth so they let her go. It was a sad thing too because her employment contract still paid her tens of millions even though she wasn't doing the work they hired her to do.

So, today, we see the same thing with GM. President Trump knows her abilities to run GM first hand as of late 2018
Old 02-14-2019, 03:00 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
I like to use AC Delco wax - better than OEM plus I like cake.
In honor of Valentine's Day I am using this...

Old 02-14-2019, 03:50 PM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I like cake.
depends on the cake. Some are better than others
Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by gsuburban
What's on second and I don't know is on third.

who?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:08 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Some of the info in that AC Delco video is a stretch for accuracy. Like when Durant incorporated the General Motors Company in 1908, not to be confused with when he incorporated General Motors Corporation in 1916. He had already acquired Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (aka Delco) as part of United Motors. AC spark plugs became part of GM in 1922, after the Champion Spark Plug Co, owned by the Stranahan brothers sued Albert Champion over naming rights and Albert changed the company name from the Champion Ignition Company to AC, using his initials. Albert had previously owned the Champion company and took in the Stranahans as partners when they produced spark plugs in Boston. When they split, Durant set up Albert in Flint, MI in 1908 to produce spark plugs and gave him 25% ownership. GM acquired the remaining share in 1929 from Albert's widow.

So in reality, Durant by the way of GM Co. and GM Corp. and United Motors and AC Spark Plug Co, and Delco, were already joined at the hip when the video said "in 1916 GM came calling". Alfred Sloan was president of United Motors, a parts and accessories group, at that time. Sloan didn't create the United Motors Service company until late 1916 and that is the logo the video shows in the "acquisition" of 1916. If you were quick to spot some names at the 1:24 point of the video, you'd also seen the Remy Electric Company, later known as Delco-Remy, and the Hyatt Roller Bearing Company. Sloan was a partner, the engineer, and consultant to auto manufacturers, which put him in contact with Charles Nash, Walter Chrysler, Charles Mott, and others. Eventually Sloan became President of GM.

And that my friends, is your GM and AC Delco history lesson for the day.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
briank17 (11-03-2019), Tuske427 (10-11-2020)
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I was in the auto service business for over 20 years. One of my parts reps told me that AC Delco didn’t actually make anything anymore, they outsource it all and brand it Delco to have a familiar name. How acccurate that is I’m not sure but I have seen some junk stuff in Delco boxes. Moving on here, another supplier that I used was a company called World Pac, they sell lots of different brands for mainly European cars. When describing a part they had many OEM options but the OES (Original Equipment Supplier) would be the actual brand that came on the car.

When buying a part from from the dealer that came in an AC Delco box, it would have the 8 digit GM part number but the AC Delco box from O’reilly or Advance would have a dash in the middle of it. In the end, about the only AC Delco parts that I would use from an aftermarket supplier were the spark plugs and wires, most of the rest of the brands I used worked better than AC Delco aftermarket stuff (not dealership).

I remember some AC Delco labeled brake pads that I used a few times, thinking they were great because of the brand, that a supplier had for $29.99 per set. Absolute junk and had to replace them with much more expensive brake pads because we had set the customer expectations so high because ours were.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Well ****, this clears it up for sure
NSF
Old 02-15-2019, 07:19 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Who's on first?
I don't know.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Delco parts vs. GM parts

Old 02-15-2019, 08:40 PM
05 Wreck
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Froggy on comparing GM (Corvette) brake hoses:
Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 PM
98Gambler
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

NSF I have no idea and am just as confused. I was looking for a good oil pressure sensor so I can replace mine when installing the new intake. What a mess. Prices and reviews all over the place. No hurry so I gave up for now. Good luck hope you get your car fixed soon.

oops was supposed to be in your either thread sorry.

Last edited by 98Gambler; 02-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by gsuburban
Maybe so however, there is now AC Delco Professional parts available. One thing however, the OEM parts GM, all of it comes from China. And the AC Delco parts are sold by the dealership fluently without fail. I purchased an A/C Compressor from Chevy Parts Dept because I wanted the OEM quality and the packaging printing read China on all of it. This also happened when I was purchasing "OEM" parts for my older '89 Suburban as I wanted to get what I could that I knew I would need years later as parts were being discontinued. So, I ordered all I could think of, exterior trim parts, lamp housings, grille, plastics etc. and many of the packages had China printed all over.

This is one reason why I refuse to go to the dealership for parts anymore. I'm perfectly pleased by supporting Gates, Wix, Moog, Timken, Cloyes, TRW, Wagner, Raybestos, Dorman, Borg Warner etc. and the other quality aftermarket parts. They have as good a warranty, priced less, available always and perform as good as the "OEM China" brand.
Among other things, one reason that stuff is made overseas is because of labor costs. I don't know what's going on now, but back in the day all GM plants were UAW. The wages paid for the amount of work done was friggin' ridiculous. I repaired carb dies at RPD and we probably averaged 2-3 hours of actual work per day; the rest of the time we either looked busy or got lost. It was a joke.

People walked around drunk, some guys were high the whole time. If you showed up you got paid, and paid a lot, for a job you couldn't be fired from. One of the more funny things I saw was a guy put a live mouse in a microwave, lol.

And theft? Wow, hard to believe. I knew of one guy who snuck out thousands of dollars of 2-bys and plywood. They were digging in the factory (looks funny to see a backhoe digging inside a building) and trucking the dirt out. Somehow the guy managed to put various pieces of the wood in the bottom of the truck and they put the dirt on top and away he drove, out the gate and off the property to dump the dirt. As I recall he did it for a long time and used the materials in building his house. Also, if memory serves, I believe he got caught. But there were zillions of things snuck out that were not caught.

On a regular basis, my buddy and I would tell each other: "This cannot last." It took a few decades, but we were right. As the old saying goes, "If something cannot go on forever, it won't."

A great book, the contents of which are probably unbelievable unless you worked for GM at some point, is: "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors," by the infamous John DeLorean, who rose to the number two (?) position at GM and quit.

Quick Reply: AC Delco parts vs. GM parts