C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:51 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

There should be no more answers posted for the OP until he/she supports the question with some facts. It has been an overwhelming "NO!!", so let's hear more info before we offer more info...just my thoughts on this kind of thing.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
Totally disagree.. The dealer at a minimum should have informed him about the tires.. My dealer did even though I knew about it.. Part of "selling" is talking about the cars features..
Seat heaters are a feature; tires are standard equipment that every driver should already be familiar with, and if not, should be covered by common sense at the very least. As I said; dealers sell cars, they don't teach people how to drive them.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Jeez some act they are just 16 and just got their drivers lic!! Been driving for 52+ years and still cautious when driving in bad weather!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Seat heaters are a feature; tires are standard equipment that every driver should already be familiar with, and if not, should be covered by common sense at the very least. As I said; dealers sell cars, they don't teach people how to drive them.

teaching "HOW" to drive and what the features of the entire car are TWO different things... Hope you don't sell cars or anything else.. You'd suck at it..
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

teaching "HOW" to drive and what the features of the entire car are TWO different things... Hope you don't sell cars or anything else.. You'd suck at it..
Tires are not a feature of a car; they're a required part. You know....kind of like a steering wheel. Does your dealer tell you whether you should be holding it at 10 & 2 or 9 & 3?

Knowing or learning how to handle a car in cold weather is the driver's responsibility, and is part of learning how to drive. It's not something a dealer should be expected to teach.

And no, I don't sell cars, but I damn sure know how to drive one in inclement weather, and did so before I stepped foot in my first dealership. As far as sucking at sales....you've struck out yet again. I used to be in sales, and was extremely successful at it.

Maybe you should be out practicing how to use your special feature tires in the cold so you'll be prepared next time you buy a new car in the winter.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 AM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

In an earlier life, I managed a Chevy store, and our salespeople would go through all the features of a purchase, with the new owner. These features included most of the instrument panel, the electronics, etc. Tire specs would probably not be mentioned, but the buyer would be asked if he had any specific questions and be told to please read his owners manual for anything not talked about.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:58 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Anybody who doesn't know to be careful driving a 430 hp sports car with summer only tires in cold winter weather probably should not own a Corvette.........
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben101er
In an earlier life, I managed a Chevy store, and our salespeople would go through all the features of a purchase, with the new owner. These features included most of the instrument panel, the electronics, etc. Tire specs would probably not be mentioned, but the buyer would be asked if he had any specific questions and be told to please read his owners manual for anything not talked about.
This is what I've heard from salespersons, as well. However, some people are overwhelmed by the buying experience and are on overload and are still thinking about what the finance manager said.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:40 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Tires are not a feature of a car; they're a required part. You know....kind of like a steering wheel. Does your dealer tell you whether you should be holding it at 10 & 2 or 9 & 3?

Knowing or learning how to handle a car in cold weather is the driver's responsibility, and is part of learning how to drive. It's not something a dealer should be expected to teach.

And no, I don't sell cars, but I damn sure know how to drive one in inclement weather, and did so before I stepped foot in my first dealership. As far as sucking at sales....you've struck out yet again. I used to be in sales, and was extremely successful at it.

Maybe you should be out practicing how to use your special feature tires in the cold so you'll be prepared next time you buy a new car in the winter.
IMHO the OP did NOT ask how he should handle or drive the car, just should he have been told that the tires under 40* lose traction.. My dealer told me about the tires on my new 2008 base and on my 2013 grandsport.. Even tho I knew about them... He also told my friend who bought a an Impala SS the same as well as another friend who bought a new Z06... Should the OP have done more research on what he was buying? Possibly but a good dealer would've let them know or at the very least reinforced his understanding.. I also am in sales and reveal everything about the product I can, good or bad.. It's why they called me a trusted advisor to them...
Rapid Fred (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

IMHO the OP did NOT ask how he should handle or drive the car, just should he have been told that the tires under 40* lose traction..
And I believe I've answered this quite succinctly. It's not my fault you don't like my, and others', responses to this.

My dealer told me about the tires on my new 2008 base and on my 2013 grandsport.. Even tho I knew about them... He also told my friend who bought a an Impala SS the same as well as another friend who bought a new Z06... Should the OP have done more research on what he was buying? Possibly but a good dealer would've let them know or at the very least reinforced his understanding.. I also am in sales and reveal everything about the product I can, good or bad.. It's why they called me a trusted advisor to them...
I suggest you, your friend, and your other friend all pitch in on a box of Girl Scout cookies and treat yourselves and the salesman. Maybe go with a Brownie button while you're at it.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

And I believe I've answered this quite succinctly. It's not my fault you don't like my, and others', responses to this.

Nope and it ain't my fault that I disagree....

I suggest you, your friend, and your other friend all pitch in on a box of Girl Scout cookies and treat yourselves and the salesman. Maybe go with a Brownie button while you're at it.
No cookies he has Celiac disease... but we did enjoy the big discounts on our cars..

Last edited by joec; 02-16-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

30 replies, no further info from the OP, and we are, as usual, snarking at each other. Time to put up the an appropriate smilie, and let it go.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Jeez I don't get all the negativity in this. What would the harm be if as the dealer is handing you the fob to say something like be careful under 40 degree's as these tires tend to get a little hard and loose traction. There done. You know it alls should really lighten up a little.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by cravman1
should a first time c6 driver have been warned about poor traction by the dealer about driving a "cold" c6 in 40 degree weather....
common sense tells you that you need proper tires(snow)for cold weather not the dealer
Icecap (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
30 replies, no further info from the OP, and we are, as usual, snarking at each other. Time to put up the an appropriate smilie, and let it go.

I'm retired so I got plenty of time and snarking is in my blood..

agree that the OP is MIA... happens a lot on posts here.. Not sure why....

Last edited by joec; 02-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
In CFOT, someone usually posts a girl in a bikini. It's usually a sign that no one has anything else to say.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

A dealer's job is to sell cars, not teach people how to drive them. If you've never driven a rear-wheel, high HP car in extreme cold then it's on you to learn how to do so safely. Blaming the dealer for your lack of experience just doesn't make sense.
Should the dealer have warned you about drinking and driving? Should the dealer have warned you about texting while driving? Should the dealer have warned you about looking behind you while backing? Should the dealer have warned you about locking your car if parked on the street? Should the dealer have warned you about checking tire pressure?

This is a high performance car. It is dangerous at any temperature. It has less traction when cold but more power. That isn't the dealer's fault or problem. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for our own actions? Sure it would be nice if the dealer had told you about this. It would have been even nicer if he had sent you to a driving school. But it isn't his responsibility.

Quick Reply: Cold weather driving