C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettemods shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:06 AM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought a ZR1 filter and hoping that also with this, I'll have much better filtration than aftermarket K&N style filters while still pulling in more air than stock. We'll see! Look forward to testing it out!
Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Beef97
I know how the gs will suck in air with this shroud but what about the normal c6? Where is it pulling air from?
No where unless you do some cutting on the baffel/shrould.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson765
There are a LOT of opinions around here regarding CAI but very little scientific data. There is some interesting semi scientific experiences. I did my own research totally unbiased and straight forward. I found out that most of the fastest 0-60 cars have a Vararam or a Halltech. Halltech appears to win in the construction quality department and they recently came up with a new design that is rivaling the Vararam. Since I don't race my car and I don't need the absolutely better performance, I opted for a BBK. I did notice that the design of most brand name CAIs are extremely similar in size and shape, sometimes the difference in price is related to the materials (carbon fiber, plastic, aluminum, etc,), marketing, name recognition more than design or gains. When I removed the stock system and put it next to the BBK, I was impressed in the difference in size. The air filter total area is about 4 times larger than stock and the air bridge is at least 3 times larger than stock. There IS a a BIG difference in the amount of air flowing into the engine. Yes, the colder the air the better but the temperature is just one small part of the equation, the amount of air is a bigger part of the equation, specially since it is 3 to 4 times larger. CAI do make a difference in performance! How big of a difference depends on other variables. Is it worth it?, I think it is. You can buy a good quality CAI for under $300. new. Used you can get them for even less. The installation for most brands is very easy so there is no additional cost (most don't need tuning). Now if you get a CAI, a 160 degree thermostat and a tune your hp gains start to get a lot better and you just spend a little more. The thermostat is less than $30 and you can get a mail order tune from ECS for $150. I installed the BBK a few days before I install the headers, pipes, thermostat and a professional tuning. I could tell a improvement in performance right away with just the BBK CAI. I love the quality and it is a very solid (aluminum) piece. It does work, even by itself, and as you get other mods and tuning the gains grow even further. It all comes down to 2 things; 1 Your Goal and 2 your budget. But for a DIY installation that cost between 200 and 300 dollars, even the small gain is well worth it.

I would challenge you to expand your research. I'd suggest there is a reason that two renowned performance builders developed their own, nearly identical design, to CAI - that really varies from nearly all other CAI "upgrade" options. If you're going to be thorough, you should see what Callaway and Lingenfelter designed. RamAir SS is same design. All three actually getting cooler air, while most designed off the base stock design are drawing air from the engine compartment. Vararam does have a decent job of getting cooler air, too, but has had some quality issues. No opinion on their current iteration.

I invested in the RamAir SS myself (basically less expensive, but same design as the more known brands) and just went through my data log from after it was installed. The IAT was basically one or two degrees above ambient air - maybe an exact match to it. I didn't record the ambient for that day, but I do have a record of what temp the car saw, 71-72 F, and that is what the ambient temp was. Perhaps on freeway, due to heavy traffic, it was a bit higher. That close to ambient isn't anything most of the options will allow since they are drawing air from the engine compartment, not getting air from the outside.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Beef97
I bought a ZR1 filter and hoping that also with this, I'll have much better filtration than aftermarket K&N style filters while still pulling in more air than stock. We'll see! Look forward to testing it out!
You're missing a kind of important reality point. The engine only draws as much air as it needs - the capacity to flow more air changes nothing, unless there are changes that tell the car to draw in more air, which is more than allowed for with stock set up.

If one wants measurable difference from CAI, then they have to get air from a different source than the engine compartment. Much cooler air can make a performance difference compared to have a filter that flows more air.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Where does it get fresh air from on a base C6?...Thanks
From the engine compartment area.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Cuckoo
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Payment sent yesterday, Thanks!
Old 04-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jost6453
from the engine compartment area.
lol.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM
z06Don
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I just installed the new design shroud into my Grand Sport. Fit is absolutely perfect. Very subtle looking. Fits around my Z06 intake like a glove. Took about 10 minutes to install. I highly recommend it. Especially for the price.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by z06Don
I just installed the new design shroud into my Grand Sport. Fit is absolutely perfect. Very subtle looking. Fits around my Z06 intake like a glove. Took about 10 minutes to install. I highly recommend it. Especially for the price.
Any photos ?
Like to see if Dennis changed them at all from the one I have, thanks
NSF

Last edited by Not So Fast; 04-20-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM
z06Don
Racer

I have not figured out how to add photos. Do I have to load them onto photo bucket first? or is there a way to load them from my computer. The new version fits around the corner of the housing not leaving any gap around the edges

Last edited by z06Don; 04-20-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe it will make a positive difference. Problem for me is I drive year around. Lots of rain where I live. The threat of sucking up water and taking out the MAF or motor would keep me from opening the shroud.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are a few pics of the new version. The bottom inner corners have been added to provide a more complete seal.
Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I have not figured out how to add photos. Do I have to load them onto photo bucket first? or is there a way to load them from my computer. The new version fits around the corner of the housing not leaving any gap around the edges
To add photos just hit the little yellow mountain, then browse your device pictures and open the ones you want to post, about the best way I have ever seen
Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I believe it will make a positive difference. Problem for me is I drive year around. Lots of rain where I live. The threat of sucking up water and taking out the MAF or motor would keep me from opening the shroud.
You don't change the OEM filter at all so no threat of doing that.

Originally Posted by jost6453
Here are a few pics of the new version. The bottom inner corners have been added to provide a more complete seal.
I like that, damnit Dennis, I had to improvise some little pieces of foam I had to make it seal better.
How do you get the new piece over the inlet snoot, have to remove it??
Bobby
Opps, I see now that I look at mine, wanna sell me that one piece LOL.

Last edited by Not So Fast; 04-20-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:03 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
To add photos just hit the little yellow mountain, then browse your device pictures and open the ones you want to post, about the best way I have ever seen

You don't change the OEM filter at all so no threat of doing that.

I like that, damnit Dennis, I had to improvise some little pieces of foam I had to make it seal better.
How do you get the new piece over the inlet snoot, have to remove it??
Bobby
Opps, I see now that I look at mine, wanna sell me that one piece LOL.
I'd need to get you a whole new one. The pin hole spacing is a little different on the new version. Just sell your current one and I'll cut you a deal on a new one.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM
z06Don
Racer

New version installed
Old 04-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Jost6453

Did you get my PayPal a couple days ago? I think it showed the shipping address but if you need that let me know.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe I've responded to all PM's and questions. Please contact me if I've missed anyone. -DJ

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettemods shroud?

Old 04-29-2017, 07:42 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

New version installed
I have a couple left if anyone is interested. Z06Don, - a big thanks for the excellent pic! -DJ
Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 PM
z06Don
Racer

My pleasure.....thanks for a great product.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

New version installed
Here is some DashControl daily driving data for this intake. The intake air temps quickly get within 2 - 4 degrees of ambient air temps in my 2011 GS and I've never seen it get above 10 degrees higher in heavy stopped traffic either. Remember any CAI will get heat soak from the engine when sitting. To compare to OEM, temps rarely got to within 20 degrees of each other, it took a long interstate run to get them close, and in heavy traffic, the OEM would just keep climbing. I had a cardboard version of this when my headers were installed. They did 6 close consecutive dyno pulls in 90 plus Florida heat, and they were amazed how well it worked, no timing was pulled. I made right at 425 RWHP/RWTQ so it gets plenty of air to the engine too.

I like this design for the performance, simplicity and cost

Last edited by Seadawg; 05-12-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Corvettemods shroud?