C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by stingray71
I recently bought my 2009 Coupe and I am still pretty paranoid about parking near other cars. I don't take multiple spaces because I know that will get unwanted attention. However, I TRY to park away from other cars whenever possible. I'll usually leave about 5-6 empty spaces but it doesn't seem to work. I feel like a parking lot magnet because whenever I come back out to the parking lot (even if I have been in the store 10 minutes) there always seem to be people that want to park right next to me.
I've had enough experiences with my other cars where I know people just don't care when they open doors. Does this happen to others Corvettes?
I may just be overly sensitive to it, but I feel like people want to park next to me when there are other empty spaces closer to the store/restaurant.
This sucks, but I don't leave my car anywhere except car shows if I am not nearby. I have the luxury of using my car as a weekend cruiser only, not a DD
Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
...For example my most common vehicle I drive is a rusted 1985 Chevy S-10 and I will park in the back of lots next to nice cars routinely...
You mean right next to other cars, or just nearby leaving a space between? If it's the former, why do you do this?

Even in a rental car, I never park in a spot right next to another car unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Sometimes people are being *********... like today at the golf course. I parked my red GS the furthermost away from the ProShop, no cars are parked anywhere near me. I parked in the lines as always. I finished the 18 holes and went to my car, and find ugly SUV s on both sides of me and many empty parking spots, close to half of the parking lot is empty very close to the ProShop. These guys purposely parked close to me.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
This sucks, but I don't leave my car anywhere except car shows if I am not nearby. I have the luxury of using my car as a weekend cruiser only, not a DD
Same here, but I do take it to Wallyworld's maybe once a month. I park "Far from the Madding Crowd" but have never had a problem with some jerk parking right next to me on purpose.

But a few weeks ago I came out of Wally's to find my car in the same spot but facing the other way. WTF?

Ha, not really, it was another C6, Monterey Red, parked a few spaces from me. As I was loading my stolen items into the rear, I heard somebody shouting, "Are you sure you got the right car?"

The owner of the other C6 came up and we chatted a bit. He's from the same area I'm from and has seen my car parked at the local diner a lot and he always wondered whose it was. I've never seen another C6 in the area regularly, not sure why I've not seen him before.

But, having said that, my 10-year old C6 has zero door dings on it.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
You mean right next to other cars, or just nearby leaving a space between? If it's the former, why do you do this?

Even in a rental car, I never park in a spot right next to another car unless it's absolutely necessary.
The spot right next to, I figure better me who will be super careful than someone else who might not be careful.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Same here, but I do take it to Wallyworld's maybe once a month. I park "Far from the Madding Crowd" but have never had a problem with some jerk parking right next to me on purpose.

But a few weeks ago I came out of Wally's to find my car in the same spot but facing the other way. WTF?

Ha, not really, it was another C6, Monterey Red, parked a few spaces from me. As I was loading my stolen items into the rear, I heard somebody shouting, "Are you sure you got the right car?"

The owner of the other C6 came up and we chatted a bit. He's from the same area I'm from and has seen my car parked at the local diner a lot and he always wondered whose it was. I've never seen another C6 in the area regularly, not sure why I've not seen him before.

But, having said that, my 10-year old C6 has zero door dings on it.
That's why I don't like cars that everyone else owns. They all look alike. At least my Carlisle Blue GS is a one year color, so over the past two years I've only seen two that were the same color in the St Louis area. One was a convertible, and the other a Z06. Mine is a coupe.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
That's why I don't like cars that everyone else owns. They all look alike . At least my Carlisle Blue GS is a one year color, so over the past two years I've only seen two that were the same color in the St Louis area. One was a convertible, and the other a Z06. Mine is a coupe.
I know exactly what you mean!

Not that long ago, I walked out to the general area ( I always park in the north 40) where my '09 VR Z06 was parked, and I could not figure out why I could not get the hatch open to load the groceries. I was about to pull the key out to open the hatch, and looked around. A half/dozen spots over was mine.

Wasn't too long after that I traded that common color POS for a green Vette.

At least, nowadays, I don't try to get in other peoples' LRG or LMB Vettes very often.

Not that I see them, but a couple of times a year.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:24 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I know exactly what you mean!

Not that long ago, I walked out to the general area ( I always park in the north 40) where my '09 VR Z06 was parked, and I could not figure out why I could not get the hatch open to load the groceries. I was about to pull the key out to open the hatch, and looked around. A half/dozen spots over was mine.

Wasn't too long after that I traded that common color POS for a green Vette.

At least, nowadays, I don't try to get in other peoples' LRG or LMB Vettes very often.

Not that I see them, but a couple of times a year.
My 08 vert is VR, but I don't think anyone would ever mistake it for their own...
Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 AM
sid09vette
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
You're not kidding. It seems to happen all the time.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:19 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
The spot right next to, I figure better me who will be super careful than someone else who might not be careful.
That's a good point.

I'd still rather have the extra personal space and treat others accordingly.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I moved out into the country.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

That's a good point.

I'd still rather have the extra personal space and treat others accordingly.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I moved out into the country.
I'm in more of a city area where parking lots can fill up fast so even the back of the lot won't be fully empty. Where I'm at an empty lot is one with more than 10 avalible spots.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I always try to park way out away from all the cars. I don't mind the walk and I also do this with my Dually. It is always my luck when I do part out by myself, this always happen:

It never fails that a truck like this blocks my view when I need to back out of the spot. So far, no dings from these truck drivers.

Also, just in case that anyone thinks that I am a C6 Discussion Troll or wannabe, I do own a C6 2013 Grand Sport Manual Tranny so that makes me qualified to participate in this discussion group. I read this subject earlier before I went to the gym this morning and today I just happened to take my C5 ZO6 to the gym. When I came out of the gym and it never fails that a truck like this is always parked next to me so I took this picture in mind to respond to this discussion

I can provide evidence if requested.

Last edited by Nokones; 08-02-2017 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ddame2 (02-21-2018)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

When I came out of the gym and it never fails that a truck like this is always parked next to me so I took this picture in mind to respond to this discussion

I can provide evidence if requested.[/QUOTE]

You poor thing...he wanted some shade, too. And, he parked perfectly well.

Yes, it is a challenging world out there for many folks.

Nice Vette, BTW.
The following users liked this post:
salt6 (02-23-2018)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
You poor thing...he wanted some shade, too. And, he parked perfectly well.
He could have gotten the shade in that space to the right.

I would have definitely left a space between us there.

Last edited by dmk0210; 08-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LT123GO
Oh man, I've had that happen to me before and I go back in the restaurant and yell across the dining room, "who owns the bronco parked next to my Corvette!!?? Your too close to my car and I can't get in! MOVE IT! 👹
It does seem to come off a little elitist when you walk in and say "parked next to my Corvette" to the entire dining room since there was probably only one Bronco in the parking lot anyway. I think "next to my car" would have also got your point across.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:41 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I suspect that there is no landscape island in front of the truck, and it can pull forward when he/she is ready to leave. I often choose those spaces, too.

I don't like it when people park next to me, but if there's still lots of room to open doors, I try not to sweat it.

This is my favorite parking photo, because it's happened to me, too.

Last edited by the kid C6; 08-02-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I suspect that there is no landscape island in front of the truck, and it can pull forward when he/she is ready to leave. I often choose those spaces, too.
Ha, that got me to thinking: I always park (if possible) so I can just pull forward to leave, rather than back up first.

Two reasons: I had a neck operation in 2011 that left me with less neck mobility, making it much harder to turn my head around to back up.

And: Paranoia of having the trans cable/endclip breaking, so I did everything I could to use the shift lever the fewest times as possible. But, I had the cable replaced last month so that's not a worry anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

And there were a gazillion other spaces in the shade closer to the buildings and nobody parked in any of the spaces next to the other shaded spots. Not bitching, just saying. Other than the fact that my view to the right gets blocked, I am kinda thankful that these trucks always park on the passenger side instead of the driver's side so I can swing my door open to get in easier.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:36 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
I always try to park way out away from all the cars. I don't mind the walk and I also do this with my Dually. It is always my luck when I do part out by myself, this always happen:

It never fails that a truck like this blocks my view when I need to back out of the spot. So far, no dings from these truck drivers.

Also, just in case that anyone thinks that I am a C6 Discussion Troll or wannabe, I do own a C6 2013 Grand Sport Manual Tranny so that makes me qualified to participate in this discussion group. I read this subject earlier before I went to the gym this morning and today I just happened to take my C5 ZO6 to the gym. When I came out of the gym and it never fails that a truck like this is always parked next to me so I took this picture in mind to respond to this discussion

I can provide evidence if requested.
If there are parking spots opposite of your Corvette, you should back it in, better yet park in the spot to the left where no one park nose to nose with you. The front is so low that a car can accidentally hit your front end because they can't see it.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Elizabeth City Vette
It does seem to come off a little elitist when you walk in and say "parked next to my Corvette" to the entire dining room since there was probably only one Bronco in the parking lot anyway. I think "next to my car" would have also got your point across.
LizCity...I thought his comment smacked of "urban legend". If someone walked into a restaurant where I was eating and said those exact words, I would think, "what an ***", and I don't mean as in a nice butt.

Quick Reply: Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?