Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet? - Page 6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:13 PM
  #101  
the kid C6
CF Senior Member
 
the kid C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: somewhere on a beach, California
Posts: 3,072
Thanked 114 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ByRiver View Post
If there are parking spots opposite of your Corvette, you should back it in, better yet park in the spot to the left where no one park nose to nose with you. The front is so low that a car can accidentally hit your front end because they can't see it.
Or, pull all the way through so that you're backed into the forward spot.

I think people park next to Corvettes because they know we know all the best spaces.
the kid C6 is offline  
Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 PM
  #102  
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TBonez's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Posts: 2,572
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stingray71 View Post
I recently bought my 2009 Coupe and I am still pretty paranoid about parking near other cars. I don't take multiple spaces because I know that will get unwanted attention. However, I TRY to park away from other cars whenever possible. I'll usually leave about 5-6 empty spaces but it doesn't seem to work. I feel like a parking lot magnet because whenever I come back out to the parking lot (even if I have been in the store 10 minutes) there always seem to be people that want to park right next to me.
I've had enough experiences with my other cars where I know people just don't care when they open doors. Does this happen to others Corvettes?
I may just be overly sensitive to it, but I feel like people want to park next to me when there are other empty spaces closer to the store/restaurant.

You never can be too cautious. ALWAYS park away from other cars and WALK to where you need to go.

Had my left quarter panel and door scratched (not too bad luckily). This guy and wife I guess, with two kids in the back wrestling or fighting or acting up, husband turns to deal with them with the wife and just continues to back out of the parking lot not feeling the right side of his car ripping into my door and quarter panel. Thank goodness they left a note. Got everything fixed in a few days as they had insurance. Big pain. Now in this case I did not have a choice and that is what you risk when parking in small lots. But if you can ALWAYS park far away

As you can see...no damage



Last edited by TBonez; 08-02-2017 at 08:40 PM.
TBonez is offline  
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 PM
  #103  
Nokones
CF Senior Member
 
Nokones's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Plumas Lake CA
Posts: 936
Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ByRiver View Post
If there are parking spots opposite of your Corvette, you should back it in, better yet park in the spot to the left where no one park nose to nose with you. The front is so low that a car can accidentally hit your front end because they can't see it.
I wish I could just pull forward in that spot. The planter box and a damaged flashing at the bottom of the light pole makes it a risky move so I don't take the chance.
Nokones is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 08:52 AM
  #104  
dmk0210
CF Senior Member
 
dmk0210's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 973
Thanked 110 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the kid C6 View Post
This is my favorite parking photo, because it's happened to me, too.

If it was me, I'd have backed diagonally into that prime spot that the minivan is in, with my tires over the line into that unused box section.

Most people will pull in front first and not all cars have passengers, but all do have a driver. So pulling in on the passenger side of parked cars rolls the dice in your favor of avoiding a door ding. (rule of thumb: always take the rightmost space if it's available)

An unusable spot to the right like that one also gives you the opportunity to leave extra space between you and the car to the other side. (an opportunity the minivan wasted)

The spot to the right of the box would be second best if the minivan was there first. Again pulling partway into the box to leave space on the other side. Two cars could benefit from that section.

We have a couple spots like that at work, but few people know or care to take advantage of it.


.

Last edited by dmk0210; 08-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.
dmk0210 is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM
  #105  
CBRDude
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

A few months ago I went to Wally World at lunch time to pick up a few items. I had the Benz. I parked in the back 40 purposely to avoid the village idiots. Also it's good exercise to walk, so I don't mind.

I came out and next to me was a soccer mobile that pulled through the isle and had the drivers door on my door and I was left a present. Mind you there were 50 spaces empty between me and the last car! The idiot got me good. I called the cops which were not in favor of giving up their doughnut break but came anyway. They went in to Wally World and had the driver paged. What came out was everyone's worse nightmare come true. They instructed the driver to hand over his insurance info which he refused citing the vanity plates which are my initials not the name of the giant Defense Contractor. the cops even pointed that out!! Apparently the guy was fired from that concern by the was he was ranting. So he took out his frustrations on my door. So the guy now has a date with the courtroom, a ticket for destructing property and a ding on his insurance. I was able to get the ding out with the ding folks and the body side molding trim as well. No paint involved! Why the guy left his mini van parked next to me and not some other place after he did the deed was the biggest mystery! I'm thinking he wanted me to respond differently? Anyway I got the last laugh! In this case I could fix stupid!

Last edited by CBRDude; 08-03-2017 at 11:26 AM.
CBRDude is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 12:12 PM
  #106  
Ron Bellack
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking View Post
Two words, handicap tags

There should be some perk to multiple knee surgeries............




I've fought the same battles and lost too. About 3-4 weeks ago leaving 3 spaces on each side of me, I had a hit and run on my beautiful 12 GS I/O.
I was backed into at the front drivers wheel, and "only" had to replace the driver's door.
I hope to be picking it up tomorrow and from what I've seen it looks perfect +++.
Boy if I ever catch the perp !!!!
Ron Bellack is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 12:37 PM
  #107  
CBRDude
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

My wife has the HP plates on her vehicle and a hang tag when in mine. I would never use the tag for myself. Only when she's in the vehicle do I use the tag. I've gotten some pretty nasty remarks when I park the vehicle after I drop her off at the door. She acquired the plates through a severe auto accident several years ago. In which a young teen was texting and blew a light. She was nailed on the drivers door and the vehicle rolled several time before coming to a rest on it's side. We only had the vehicle a few weeks and the teen was under insured too. Big mess!

I was lucky this time and the perp was caught. The cameras in the lot would have picked it up too.

My co worker had the same thing happen to her in the same parking lot shortly after my episode, but the driver took off after the deed. The camera caught the driver on film and the plate. The FCPD did all the contacting of the other driver. Though she was nervous that she would have to eat the repair, the other driver's insurance did concede and picked up the tab when presented the film. Just happened to be the same insurance carrier. She was made whole and is happy.
CBRDude is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:21 PM
  #108  
TxLefty
CF Senior Member
 
TxLefty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Plano (Gun Nut Central) Texas
Posts: 5,103
Thanked 53 Times in 45 Posts
Default

If I'm out and about in my ratty 99 Blazer and see a Vette parked in the boonies, I will usually park next to him. One to make him/her wonder what kind of idiot would park there with a hundred empty parking spaces closer to the store. Two, to protect one side of the Vette.
TxLefty is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:55 PM
  #109  
ByRiver
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: St Louis Area IL
Posts: 1,704
Thanked 101 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TxLefty View Post
If I'm out and about in my ratty 99 Blazer and see a Vette parked in the boonies, I will usually park next to him. One to make him/her wonder what kind of idiot would park there with a hundred empty parking spaces closer to the store. Two, to protect one side of the Vette.
The logic and thought process of some people totally baffles me.

Why can't you just leave other peoples vehicles alone? First you want to mess with someone by causing them grief and aggravation by parking next to them, then at the same time you say you want to help them.

If you slowly read what you wrote, you will see you have some sort of mental issue.
ByRiver is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ByRiver For This Useful Post:
ddame2 (02-21-2018)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:10 PM
  #110  
LimaCharlie
CF Senior Member
 
LimaCharlie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Northwest Oregon
Posts: 614
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Whether I am driving my Corvette or my Honda, I park as close to the front door as possible. My wife and other people who ride with me say that I am very lucky and always find a parking spot by the front door. They are just cars.
LimaCharlie is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 03:21 PM
  #111  
Corvette_Ed
CF Senior Member
 
Corvette_Ed's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth
Posts: 11,730
Thanked 925 Times in 722 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Whether I am driving my Corvette or my Honda, I park as close to the front door as possible. My wife and other people who ride with me say that I am very lucky and always find a parking spot by the front door. They are just cars.
They're just houses too, but do you treat yours like crap because you can just replace it? That logic doesn't fly.
Corvette_Ed is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corvette_Ed For This Useful Post:
Bruze (08-03-2017), ddame2 (02-21-2018), Tefer (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 PM
  #112  
CBRDude
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Whether I am driving my Corvette or my Honda, I park as close to the front door as possible. My wife and other people who ride with me say that I am very lucky and always find a parking spot by the front door. They are just cars.
So you're a firm believer in body side molding and it has a purpose? To let the door swing wide!

So my door is a door stop? And your mirror is a foot rest? Bumpers are for ramming people too I suppose?

I pay a bucket load of money and I'm supposed to not care? That's the problem with the world, no one cares! Nor give two cents about any ones property.

I have nice things and expect others to not purposely destroy them because they can get away with it. My sister in law thinks that way! I've been in her vehicle when she took out the car next to her. I was applauded at her remark when she did it too! "Expensive *$# they can afford it" Yikes is all I can say! No wonder she's been married and divorced three times!
CBRDude is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:19 PM
  #113  
TxLefty
CF Senior Member
 
TxLefty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Plano (Gun Nut Central) Texas
Posts: 5,103
Thanked 53 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ByRiver View Post
The logic and thought process of some people totally baffles me.

Why can't you just leave other peoples vehicles alone? First you want to mess with someone by causing them grief and aggravation by parking next to them, then at the same time you say you want to help them.

If you slowly read what you wrote, you will see you have some sort of mental issue.
Not really. I don't touch other peoples vehicles. I'm protecting one side, they may or may not see it that way. If I was in my Vette they'd probably be happy I was there. I don't park closely or with the driver's door towards their car. Lighten up Francis.
TxLefty is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:28 PM
  #114  
Nokones
CF Senior Member
 
Nokones's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Plumas Lake CA
Posts: 936
Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
Default

I'm sorry, I can't agree with the comment that Corvettes are "Just Cars". I pride my Corvettes, just like everything else I pay for. I take care of them and the Corvettes are special because of what they are.

I do have to say that I truly hate non-american cars with a passion but, I do have respect of them if they are taken care of by their respective owners. I also respect other people's properties.

I wonder if LimaCharlie has a front license plate on the front of his car and doesn't wave at other Corvette drivers? That is totally against the CC&Rs (Corvette Code of Regulations)

Last edited by Nokones; 08-03-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Nokones is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 PM
  #115  
Tefer
CF Senior Member
 
Tefer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 852
Thanked 107 Times in 98 Posts
Default

I prefer to call it a dipstick magnet because its usually some dipstick that although there are numerous other places to park, low and behold they pick the one closest to the vette.
Tefer is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 PM
  #116  
LimaCharlie
CF Senior Member
 
LimaCharlie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Northwest Oregon
Posts: 614
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Default

When I see people park any car in the back 40 or crosswise in two or three parking spaces, I think they really can't afford that car.
LimaCharlie is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 PM
  #117  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 1,786
Thanked 317 Times in 278 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
When I see people park any car in the back 40 or crosswise in two or three parking spaces, I think they really can't afford that car.

I'm not sure that logic makes much sense. If I owned a Ferrari, I would make sure I parked far away from everyone. I try to be careful finding a nice parking spot for all my cars. I don't think it's a matter of thinking I'm better than anyone else or that my car is better. It's more of a trust issue after being disappointed by people on too many occasions by their lack of respect for others property and also others well being.
TorchRedFred is online now  
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 PM
  #118  
the kid C6
CF Senior Member
 
the kid C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: somewhere on a beach, California
Posts: 3,072
Thanked 114 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
When I see people park any car in the back 40 or crosswise in two or three parking spaces, I think they really can't afford that car.
I park my beater backup car out in the north 40, too. Because people are stupid and inconsiderate and it's been hit in parking lots.
the kid C6 is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM
  #119  
SCcues
2012 Torch Red GS
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SCcues's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 498
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed View Post
He would have needed something to air up his tires if that had been me.

All four of them.
I'd be thinking along those same lines myself. There's no reason for someone to park that close to the corvette unless they were just being a plain and simple Ahole. I hate to park my corvette in any parking lot for more than a couple of minutes. There are so many jealous people in the world today and they will do things to nice cars because they don't have one. It's sad but true.
SCcues is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 AM
  #120  
Tefer
CF Senior Member
 
Tefer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 852
Thanked 107 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
When I see people park any car in the back 40 or crosswise in two or three parking spaces, I think they really can't afford that car.
Or, could it be that you are confusing true car guys with those that just think they are. I've known lots of car guys over the years. Some from our club and some from other car shows/clubs. Some of them could afford a new one every 6 months if they so desired,Some have several very nice cars and some like myself have worked very hard to be able to afford the one I have. Some of them have really nice cars others just average. But I can't think of one car guy (regardless of their financial abilities) that I have ever met that doesn't take precautions and do all they can do to avoid door dings. So with that being said when I see a nice car/corvette parked in the back 40 I see a real car guy someone that takes pride in their ride. As for those that take up two or three spaces Well that's a whole nother story, one that I defiantly disagree with
Tefer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: