C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:13 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

I recently bought my 2009 Coupe and I am still pretty paranoid about parking near other cars. I don't take multiple spaces because I know that will get unwanted attention. However, I TRY to park away from other cars whenever possible. I'll usually leave about 5-6 empty spaces but it doesn't seem to work. I feel like a parking lot magnet because whenever I come back out to the parking lot (even if I have been in the store 10 minutes) there always seem to be people that want to park right next to me.
I've had enough experiences with my other cars where I know people just don't care when they open doors. Does this happen to others Corvettes?
I may just be overly sensitive to it, but I feel like people want to park next to me when there are other empty spaces closer to the store/restaurant.
The following 3 users liked this post by stingray71:
jeffs64 (02-23-2018), mikecronis (02-24-2018), SnakeQ (08-06-2017)

Popular Reply

02-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

People park next to you because they know you won't ding THEIR doors.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 PM
kharouf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray71
I recently bought my 2009 Coupe and I am still pretty paranoid about parking near other cars. I don't take multiple spaces because I know that will get unwanted attention. However, I TRY to park away from other cars whenever possible. I'll usually leave about 5-6 empty spaces but it doesn't seem to work. I feel like a parking lot magnet because whenever I come back out to the parking lot (even if I have been in the store 10 minutes) there always seem to be people that want to park right next to me.
I've had enough experiences with my other cars where I know people just don't care when they open doors. Does this happen to others Corvettes?
I may just be overly sensitive to it, but I feel like people want to park next to me when there are other empty spaces closer to the store/restaurant.

i feel you bro, iv seen stingrays parked in busy parking lots. its just a risk we gotta take but i don't think someone would vandalize a car for no reason. iv seen m3s m4s, amg benz and even Maseratis parked as well. if people did damage nice cars there would be news everywhere

Last edited by kharouf; 02-24-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

People park next to you because they know you won't ding THEIR doors.
The following 6 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
Carvin (02-24-2017), Cauhauna (02-25-2017), seijack (02-23-2018), Suns_PSD (08-02-2017), tomray (08-03-2017), zzjakect (02-25-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Speaking of parking lots, does anyone else have a problem getting out of their Vette in a lot? The doors are so wide that I can't get them open far enough to get my size 12s between the threshold and the door. Mostly I have written it off to being old and fat, but that doesn't effect the size of my feet (much). Same problem that I had with two 4th gen Camaros in a row.
The following users liked this post:
USAF (02-22-2018)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:38 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Parked in a restaurant parking lot in Arlington...very back lot. No other cars in this particular lot. Went in, ate, came back out. Probably an hour or so. Parked next to my car was a pos Ford Bronco, probably early 60's. It was so close, I could not get in my car. Couldn't even walk between the two. No other cars in the lot, and there were plenty of empty places to park. Had to get in from the passenger side of the car and climb over the console.
mikecronis (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:42 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

When we go grocery shopping and we take any of the cars, we park across the street at another store and walk over to the grocery store. Across the street there is a strip mall that's half empty. Kinda lucky I guess, and if the day ever comes that other lot become occupied I'll just start taking the truck to the store instead of the cars.

The 2 door car issue is timeless RagTop69, lol I feel you on the shoe thing. My doors all scuffed up from climbing in and out.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:44 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Parked in a restaurant parking lot in Arlington...very back lot. No other cars in this particular lot. Went in, ate, came back out. Probably an hour or so. Parked next to my car was a pos Ford Bronco, probably early 60's. It was so close, I could not get in my car. Couldn't even walk between the two. No other cars in the lot, and there were plenty of empty places to park. Had to get in from the passenger side of the car and climb over the console.
Crap like that happens all the time in DFW. I always try to get an end spot with drivers side toward the outside so no one can block me.

Lately it has been other nice cars parked next to me. All spaced out so we all have room.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:44 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

so close, I could not get in my car, Had to get in from the passenger side of the car and climb over the console.
That's gotta get the blood boiling.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

He would have needed something to air up his tires if that had been me.

All four of them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
DPW_ (02-26-2017), jbc1995fb (02-25-2017), rmiller86 (08-03-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:49 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I have that problem with every sports car I've ever owned.

The best method is to park near the other vehicles but where you can get the spot at the end of the row. Park your tires over the line and at a slight angle.The only way someone can get close to your vehicle is if they also park over the line, which they typically won't do. In fact it is rare that I come out and see a vehicle in the spot next to me. The other people in my work building always leaves me that spot at the end.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I notice this also. I've only had my vette for a short period (5 months) but I go to great lengths to park near the end of the parking lot away from everyone else. With out fail, when I come out someone is usually parked right next to me. I don't mind if they park near me, but don't understand why they have to park in the spot right next to me with so many empty spaces around. I don't know what the motivation is for some of these people. I suspect that some use it as an excuse to check out your ride close up, or others are just trying to intentionally be annoying.

Also, the car that parks next to me is usually not one of the nicer cars in the parking lot. Don't know how that plays into it either.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:53 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

This is what happened the very first night we went out to dinner in it. It was a busy parking lot, but I parked in the last row and only had 3 empty spaces on each side. When we came out, an oversized pickup had parked next to me and was off-center in his spot so there was only about 2 feet of space. I had to back my car out so my wife could even open our passenger door.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

It was so close, I could not get in my car.
I hate people who do that; clearly the guy had issues.
I had a co-worker who did that to me and a few others. I watched her driving one day and she was oblivious. She didn't even know she was doing it.

Sometimes I think people park near Corvettes because they assume we pick the best spots.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by stingray71
Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?
No, because I don't park it out in the middle of the boondocks. I park with the other cars at Loew's, Kroger, Walmart, K-Mart, Walgreens.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:28 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 322 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Guy has a sense of Humor

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I hate people who do that; clearly the guy had issues.
Sometimes I think people park near Corvettes because they assume we pick the best spots.
Yep some people just don't understand.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 02-24-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:37 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
He would have needed something to air up his tires if that had been me.

All four of them.
Originally Posted by ForceFedC4
That's gotta get the blood
boiling.
I was pissed, for sure. We had gone there to buy the wife a car. I was parked next to a curb. She parked across from me (don't know why). I think the guy did it on purpose. Wife told me to not worry about it. I was going to wait on them. When we got home, found a mark down the side of the car from back of door the back of the car. Had to have been a purse or something as it was pretty low. Took several weeks of work with wax and other things to finally get rid of the mark.

I didn't think about letting the air out of the tires...I wanted to break a window or two.

Get notified of new replies

To Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

Old 02-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Chiron
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just trying to get away from folks. They always find me.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:40 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It will keep happening, sadly. I've had the car for 3 years and only rarely do I have a car NOT next to me when I come back...no matter how far out I park if it's a small lot.

For larger lots like at Wal-mart, I find that people are too lazy to walk out that far and I'm by myself most of the time.

Just the way it's going to be man. You'll have people who like the car and want to park next to you, and the rest just want to annoy you by taking away the reason you parked so far away.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Two words, handicap tags

There should be some perk to multiple knee surgeries............
USAF (02-22-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?