C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a newb

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Question from a newb

8 days and counting with my first corvette

2010 Grand Sport, all stock equipment

When using the options button to customize a few things for me I'm getting sporadic access. Most times it says "options unavailable". I've tried:

Engine off
ACC on
On
On with engine running
Hand break engaged
and probably a few other combos

I've probably had access to this menu 3x in 100+ attempts. What am I doing wrong? Or what step am I missing?

One potentially important note: The car came with a single key fob (the #1) and I will eventually order a second (the #2).

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

what's your option level?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ruxvette
what's your option level?
3lt
Old 03-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

When all else fails the manual is your friend, I've read mine probably a dozen times and still I'm learning, and with the help of the members you'll get it
NSF
Old 03-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
When all else fails the manual is your friend, I've read mine probably a dozen times and still I'm learning, and with the help of the members you'll get it
NSF
Thanks. I don't have the original manual but downloaded one and have read that section (and other related sections) a few times. I bet someone will chime in with the step I'm missing, and it'll probably be something simple.

I'm also wondering if it has something to do with the 2nd key fob that did not come with the car.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

see the attachments for both information specific to the personalization, and a pdf of the owners manual.................

one or the other following proper procedures should get you squared away................

Last edited by rkj427; 12-01-2018 at 11:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr Bee (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rkj427
see the attachments for both information specific to the personalization, and a pdf of the owners manual.................

one or the other following proper procedures should get you squared away................
Very helpful, thank you.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Be aware that the number on the fob means nothing to the car. It's only for your use in identifying which fob you're using. What matters to the controls in the car is what fob number that fob was programmed as when it was programmed for the car.

Before the car left the Corvette plant, 2 fobs were programmed for the car. Presumably, the fob with a 1 on it was programmed as fob #1 for the car and the one with a 2 on it was programmed as fob #2 for the car. Only fobs programmed to the car a #1 or #2 have access to the memory options. Use of a fob programmed as #3 or #4 would get the same error message you're complaining about.

Since you do sometimes have access to the memory options, the only fob you have is programmed as #1 or #2. But be aware when you get the new fob, you'll probably need to use the long programming option and reprogram both fobs so you can get one of them programmed as #1 and the other one programmed as #2.

Good luck with your search for the answer to your current problem.
The following users liked this post:
Dr Bee (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:36 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

^^^ Bingo.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Be aware that the number on the fob means nothing to the car. It's only for your use in identifying which fob you're using. What matters to the controls in the car is what fob number that fob was programmed as when it was programmed for the car.

Before the car left the Corvette plant, 2 fobs were programmed for the car. Presumably, the fob with a 1 on it was programmed as fob #1 for the car and the one with a 2 on it was programmed as fob #2 for the car. Only fobs programmed to the car a #1 or #2 have access to the memory options. Use of a fob programmed as #3 or #4 would get the same error message you're complaining about.

Since you do sometimes have access to the memory options, the only fob you have is programmed as #1 or #2. But be aware when you get the new fob, you'll probably need to use the long programming option and reprogram both fobs so you can get one of them programmed as #1 and the other one programmed as #2.

This. Also, if you purchased from enterprise or some place like that, the options will be locked as well.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 03-02-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:39 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
This. Also, if you purchased from enterprise or some place like that, the options will be locked as well.
Please explain how options can be "locked".
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette_DD

Ok, I've read some on this issue. My new fob has arrived and I've decided to have a local corvette shop program the car. A few posts I've read said the process is long and complicated and needs to be done correctly (complicated enough for others to say "don't let the dealer do it"). I'm having a full inspection done at the corvette shop and a few other minor things and they'll re-program both fobs for a 1/2 hour labor even tho they said the process is closer to an hour.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I only got one fob with my 2011GS when I bought it so I also ordered a second one. I did the long process from the manual and reprogrammed them both. It is not difficult. I definitely would not pay someone else to do it.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BROCKYJACK
I only got one fob with my 2011GS when I bought it so I also ordered a second one. I did the long process from the manual and reprogrammed them both. It is not difficult. I definitely would not pay someone else to do it.
Okay, will re-read that part of the manual again. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:22 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Do what you feel comfortable doing.
When I got my 07, it only came with one fob. Took it to my repair shop right after I got it and along with other work had them program the new fob.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:29 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
Ok, I've read some on this issue. My new fob has arrived and I've decided to have a local corvette shop program the car. A few posts I've read said the process is long and complicated and needs to be done correctly (complicated enough for others to say "don't let the dealer do it"). I'm having a full inspection done at the corvette shop and a few other minor things and they'll re-program both fobs for a 1/2 hour labor even tho they said the process is closer to an hour.
Note that the dealer (and hopefully the shop) will not need to go through the long or short fob programming processes we would need to. If they have a Tech 2 scanner, they can use it and have both fobs programmed in minutes.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

New fob is programmed and I have access to the options menu every time I push the button (vs. 3 times in 30+ attempts over the last week). I put the old fob away as a backup only and everything works as it should.

That was the last irritant after purchasing the car (already replaced the car battery and knock sensors). Still missing the nav disc but don't care, never met an in-car nav program that worked better than my cell phone.

Love the car.....been thinking about getting one for about 10 years but never pulled the trigger due to the $$. Best advice I got from my dad: "Will you live better having not spent the money?"

Thanks for all the help

Get notified of new replies

To Question from a newb

Old 03-02-2017, 06:36 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Programming the fob is not difficult at all. If you can read, you can do it. Just have to follow the steps, no shortcuts. No way I would pay anyone to do it. Read the directions a couple of times before you start, that way, you are familiar with what comes next. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:11 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by EVRose
Speed limiters, RPM limiters, etc. Use that brain I know you have.

Or maybe I'm giving you too much credit?

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 03-07-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:38 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Speed limiters, RPM limiters, etc. Use that brain I know you have.

Or maybe I'm giving you too much credit?
Sorry genius but your post here still doesn't make any sense. When did enterprise sell vettes and how would they lock options. We're talking about dic options here. Since when are there speed or Rev limiters available there?

Quick Reply: Question from a newb