C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Supercharged vs. C7 Z51 A8/A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 03:05 PM
J Higgens
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 Supercharged vs. C7 Z51 A8/A6

Hey everybody, new forum member here. I have a 2005 Corvette 3LT A4. I have had it for about a year now. I have a few mods done to it: SLP Headers with high flow cats and x-pipe, Corsa Xtreme Axleback, K&N Intake, and a Brian Tooley Stage II Cam. Cosmetically, it just has a Z06 style front bumper and and a lip spoiler on the back.

Now, to the main purpose of this post. I was pretty satisfied with it, and don’t get me wrong I still love it, but I have had some problems since the upgrades. I took it to a shop and got the performance work done. It was returned with a service ride control code and I was told to drive it 100 miles and it would go away (didn’t really believe it but I was too excited to get my car back so I kind of brushed that away temporarily). This is not the main point of the post. Anyways, a couple cold starts later and the engine light came on, this was weird because I took it in as well to get an engine light fixed. So, long story short I found out that the light was because of the cam and that essentially all the automatic fuel trimming and luxuries of EFI would have to be almost turned off in order to fix the light. This was found out through another shop because the shop that did the work initially had no idea what they were doing. Now I was told the easiest way to fix it was that I need to change the cam to return it back to normal and get the drivability back. This was extremely disappointing because if I would have known this I would have supercharged it or something else from the beginning. Here I am now and I have a choice. I can either supercharge the car and get all the butter-like drivability characteristics back (BTW it would be a Whipple Supercharger with an LSA cam, so approx. 550-600 WHP the shop says) or I can upgrade to a C7 Z51 A8 or A6.

Now, I wanted to get perspectives from real car people, not just the “all that matters is looks” people at my school. Some may think this is a no brainer to go with a basically ZR1 power-wise ‘Vette. But these are some of the reasons, though that make it tough for me to decide.

First, is that 550+ WHP is pretty hard to pass up, but I also really like the styling of the C7. I also really like all the modern technology the car has (ie. the 8-speed or 6-speed auto w/paddles, built in NAV, NPP exhaust, modern interior, heated/cooled seats, smoother ride, etc.). Which either one I choose it will be a Daily Driver and will be taken to car shows. One is Seaside’s Muscle and Chrome, where all the cars parade up and down the main street at the beach revving engines, burnouts, cruisin’ and making smiles for others, etc. So, I also was wondering would people like, the modern styling of a C7 or a big bulge sticking out of the hood of a C6 that makes 550+ WHP, more. In other words, modern comfort/technology and looks with great performance vs. scare the living daylights out of you power.

I know that regardless of which way I go, I will always think what if? Either way though I will be happy because hey they’re both ‘Vettes. So, what would you guys choose? Since I haven’t driven the C7 yet, is the comfort/ride really noticeable from C6 to C7? Would all the performance goodies from the C7 (ie. launch control, 8-speed auto w/paddles, modern traction control, multi-mode exhaust, etc.) make the experience more fun with less power? If you could, please tell me which one and WHY.

PS: Thank you for reading this far. I know it is a long post, but I felt that all the info. was necessary in order to understand the story.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

First off welcome to the Corvette forum. The 2005 C6 can be quirky machine sometimes with its aging system but a reliable one if maintained correctly. Me, I prefer the styling of the C6 over the C7 base model (Z06 is another story). I also find a better value out of an C6 when properly modded. Adding a good blower combo to your C6 will definitely get you the desired power you want. I'm not sure of your location, but I would contact a reputable tuner/shop for advise on adding a cam of blower unit.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Get the new Vette.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

As much as I dislike the look of the new C7 compared to my current C6.. I'd have to say go with the C7 if you are into tech, and reliability.

If I've spend a hundred grand on trying to make cars the way I wanted them to be I'd say I'm being modest. The problem is, nothing aftermarket is ever going to be as reliable as a factory car I don't care who installs it, or how well the motor is built. There are always going to be drivability issues once things go from stock, to insane.

My C4 could thrown down 700hp on pump gas using the methanol injection but every time I put that skinny pedal to the floor.. I needed a new set of tires, or something else broke.

If you have the capital to buy a C7 and you are ok with the look of the newer car - this is the most reliable route to take.
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (03-07-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well said by ForceFedC4.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Get the C7; you'll never look back.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:50 PM
J Higgens
Intermediate

Thank you for the input. IMO, I like both of the cars' looks. The C7 has new updated looks but the C6 has the classic circular/oval tail lights and smoother, curved body lines. In this aspect, I could go either way.

Originally Posted by Brandon619
First off welcome to the Corvette forum. The 2005 C6 can be quirky machine sometimes with its aging system but a reliable one if maintained correctly. Me, I prefer the styling of the C6 over the C7 base model (Z06 is another story). I also find a better value out of an C6 when properly modded. Adding a good blower combo to your C6 will definitely get you the desired power you want. I'm not sure of your location, but I would contact a reputable tuner/shop for advise on adding a cam of blower unit.
As for the being in contact with a reputable shop, I have been in contact with Portland Speed Industries who appears to be great and quite knowledgeable.

Originally Posted by ForceFedC4
As much as I dislike the look of the new C7 compared to my current C6.. I'd have to say go with the C7 if you are into tech, and reliability.

If I've spend a hundred grand on trying to make cars the way I wanted them to be I'd say I'm being modest. The problem is, nothing aftermarket is ever going to be as reliable as a factory car I don't care who installs it, or how well the motor is built. There are always going to be drivability issues once things go from stock, to insane.

My C4 could thrown down 700hp on pump gas using the methanol injection but every time I put that skinny pedal to the floor.. I needed a new set of tires, or something else broke.

If you have the capital to buy a C7 and you are ok with the look of the newer car - this is the most reliable route to take.
You have brought up a good point about frying the tires every time I would get on it with the supercharger. So, that would be another thing worth considering because would the C6 still be able to be fun driving on normal roadways. Also, since I am from the PNW we tend to get a decent amount of rain.....
Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Get the C7. Then mod it.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 AM
J Higgens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Get the C7. Then mod it.
At first, I would not be able to mod it due to budget concerns, but I would intend to supercharge it. Although, I heard that the aftermarket products are unreliable at this time for the C7?

Last edited by J Higgens; 03-06-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:30 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Probably true. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Anything related to exhaust is probably fine. Then again, the C7 has been on dealer lots for 2.25 years now so any kinks are probably ironed out now.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:41 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I would take your car to a reputable shop and let them tune it correctly. You shouldn't have codes because of a cam. Or just go get a C7.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:55 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I also have an 05 M6. I have been told by many to be careful how much power you put in an 05 because the rear differential housing is week in this model year. I have seen pictures on this site of the case blown wide open. So i guess if you are gonna put that kinda power in it make sure you upgrade the rear also
Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by RCarlisle
I also have an 05 M6. I have been told by many to be careful how much power you put in an 05 because the rear differential housing is week in this model year. I have seen pictures on this site of the case blown wide open. So i guess if you are gonna put that kinda power in it make sure you upgrade the rear also
Excellent point.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 AM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Do yourself a favor .... search forum posts on the C6 2005 differential "before" you make a decision.

Here's a post to get you started:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ferential.html
Old 03-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Also I forgot to mention RPM TRNSMISSIONS IN INDIANA they have differentials and transmissions for corvette and have an upgrade kit for differentials in 05's that gives you the parts to install a 06 differential in an 05. I haven't used these people but they have a good web site and are highly recommended by others on CF.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:35 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by J Higgens
Hey everybody, new forum member here. I have a 2005 Corvette 3LT A4. I have had it for about a year now. I have a few mods done to it: SLP Headers with high flow cats and x-pipe, Corsa Xtreme Axleback, K&N Intake, and a Brian Tooley Stage II Cam. Cosmetically, it just has a Z06 style front bumper and and a lip spoiler on the back.

Now, to the main purpose of this post. I was pretty satisfied with it, and don’t get me wrong I still love it, but I have had some problems since the upgrades. I took it to a shop and got the performance work done. It was returned with a service ride control code and I was told to drive it 100 miles and it would go away (didn’t really believe it but I was too excited to get my car back so I kind of brushed that away temporarily). This is not the main point of the post. Anyways, a couple cold starts later and the engine light came on, this was weird because I took it in as well to get an engine light fixed. So, long story short I found out that the light was because of the cam and that essentially all the automatic fuel trimming and luxuries of EFI would have to be almost turned off in order to fix the light. This was found out through another shop because the shop that did the work initially had no idea what they were doing. Now I was told the easiest way to fix it was that I need to change the cam to return it back to normal and get the drivability back. This was extremely disappointing because if I would have known this I would have supercharged it or something else from the beginning. Here I am now and I have a choice. I can either supercharge the car and get all the butter-like drivability characteristics back (BTW it would be a Whipple Supercharger with an LSA cam, so approx. 550-600 WHP the shop says) or I can upgrade to a C7 Z51 A8 or A6.

Now, I wanted to get perspectives from real car people, not just the “all that matters is looks” people at my school. Some may think this is a no brainer to go with a basically ZR1 power-wise ‘Vette. But these are some of the reasons, though that make it tough for me to decide.

First, is that 550+ WHP is pretty hard to pass up, but I also really like the styling of the C7. I also really like all the modern technology the car has (ie. the 8-speed or 6-speed auto w/paddles, built in NAV, NPP exhaust, modern interior, heated/cooled seats, smoother ride, etc.). Which either one I choose it will be a Daily Driver and will be taken to car shows. One is Seaside’s Muscle and Chrome, where all the cars parade up and down the main street at the beach revving engines, burnouts, cruisin’ and making smiles for others, etc. So, I also was wondering would people like, the modern styling of a C7 or a big bulge sticking out of the hood of a C6 that makes 550+ WHP, more. In other words, modern comfort/technology and looks with great performance vs. scare the living daylights out of you power.

I know that regardless of which way I go, I will always think what if? Either way though I will be happy because hey they’re both ‘Vettes. So, what would you guys choose? Since I haven’t driven the C7 yet, is the comfort/ride really noticeable from C6 to C7? Would all the performance goodies from the C7 (ie. launch control, 8-speed auto w/paddles, modern traction control, multi-mode exhaust, etc.) make the experience more fun with less power? If you could, please tell me which one and WHY.

PS: Thank you for reading this far. I know it is a long post, but I felt that all the info. was necessary in order to understand the story.
I would just keep it factory stock as it is the most reliable that way. Why create problems?
It is already a fun car to drive.
bgspot (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:40 PM
J Higgens
Intermediate

I have looked through a few of these threads, and that does look pretty bad. I have noticed that most of them are manuals, whereas I have the A4. I will not be drag racing all the time, but it still appears that the differential is a weak point on the 2005. So, this is something else to take into consideration. I will talk to the shop later today or tomorrow about this.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Supercharged vs. C7 Z51 A8/A6

Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by J Higgens
I have looked through a few of these threads, and that does look pretty bad. I have noticed that most of them are manuals, whereas I have the A4. I will not be drag racing all the time, but it still appears that the differential is a weak point on the 2005. So, this is something else to take into consideration. I will talk to the shop later today or tomorrow about this.
most 05 auto cars never have an issue with differential.run mine with slicks for 10 years and never a problem.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
most 05 auto cars never have an issue with differential.run mine with slicks for 10 years and never a problem.

Have 65,000+ miles and no issues.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

2005 m6,supercharged 585/518 on R888's (R compound tires)....no issues with differential in 2 years/12k miles......the 05 is a good car,just has a few upgrades that need to be addressed. It all comes down to if you like to turn wrenches/mod a car....or just get in and drive it??? I enjoy making my car suit me/different from everyone elses.....only one who can answer this is YOU!
Brandon619 (03-07-2017)

Quick Reply: C6 Supercharged vs. C7 Z51 A8/A6