C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions on removing fine scratches from the tintcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:10 PM
p2toy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any suggestions on removing fine scratches from the tintcoat?

I am new to corvette paint finishes (tintcoat) and looking for suggestions on how to remove the fine scratches from washing etc. without causing further damage.
The color is Crystal Red Metallic tintcoat, Code # 89U
Can you just use a regular swirl mark remover, or do you have to be extra careful which products you use since its a tintcoat? I tried the NUFINISH scratch doctor on a test spot but it didn’t really make much difference.

Last edited by p2toy; 03-10-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:14 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Yes you can using the proper products and methods.........without causing any additional damage..........

You may want to check out the Car Care area for a lot more information on detailing products and processes.............

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-10/
Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 PM
p2toy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
Yes you can using the proper products and methods.........without causing any additional damage..........

You may want to check out the Car Care area for a lot more information on detailing products and processes.............

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-10/

I couldn't find much specifying tintcoat care, but can you just care for it like regular clear coat?

Any recommendations on specific products or methods?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

You don't have to do anything special with the tintcoat. Go back into Car Care and see what they say about your issue. It will apply to your car.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:15 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Good suggestion on the car care section. Lots of good advice there. You can't remove swirls and scratches by hand. You will need a random orbital polisher (Flex is a good one) you will also need a polish ( recommend Menzerna medium cut) and then a finish polish , Menzerna also offers this. 3M has a great finishing polish also. Lake country pads, Orange for the medium cut Menzerna and a white pad for your finish polish. This will take out your surface scratches and swirls. Again go to the car care section and do some forum searches. You will be amazed what you can do with the above recommendations. Good luck and show us your results. All of the above can be purchased from forum sponsor Autogeek.net
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by p2toy
I couldn't find much specifying tintcoat care, but can you just care for it like regular clear coat?

Any recommendations on specific products or methods?
www.adamspolishes.com

be sure to check out the videos there which explain the products and processes used to correct your paint, and make your car look the best it possibly can....................
Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Auto
The following users liked this post:
Yaupon (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

It may be a tint coat but that has no bearing on anything when doing detailing, it is all under a clear coat, so whatever you do for a clear coat you do for that.
The following users liked this post:
IansInGarage (03-11-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 12:42 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Not Very Hard

The process is relatively simple and anyone can produce excellent results. I am not a professional, but have done cars for friends and some of my own in the past. Once you remove the swirl marks, the key then is to wash/dry your car with the proper technique and you won't have to go thru the process again.

There are numerous excellent videos on You Tube. Basically, all professional detailers, including Mike Phillips, utilize the same process. Among others, check out Junkman's channel on You Tube - somewhat long and wordy, but he will show you everything you need to know regarding scratch and swirl removal.

I have used Meguiar's M105 and M205 with great results, but almost any name brand product produces similar results. Orbital random buffer is the key tool. Most everyone recommends the Porter Cable 7420XP. However, I have one I purchased at Harbor Freight for a fraction of the price and have had excellent results. Purchase the orange and white pads from name online retailers such as AutoGeek, Chemical Guys, etc. Lake Country pads are great, but again you can get pads from Harbor Freight - I stock up on them when they are on sale and use them on my boats, jet skis, golf cart , etc.

Do your homework on You Tube, clay bar the car before you start. Take your time and you will be amazed at the results. Once you have reconditioned the paint, wash and dry the car properly and you should never have to do a "paint correction" again.

Get notified of new replies

To Any suggestions on removing fine scratches from the tintcoat?

Quick Reply: Any suggestions on removing fine scratches from the tintcoat?