C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flatbed wrecker towing connection points

Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Flatbed wrecker towing connection points

I had to have my 2011 Grandsport towed to the dealer for clutch issues. What are the proper places on the corvette to hook up to tow it? Just hope they hooked it up right and didnt cause any damages.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Easy way to is to just use tire type straps to strap the tires down to the flat bed, but the frame has tie down points that you use 4 of theses that will hook into the frame both sides in front and back of the doors on the bottom of the frame (same points we use for lift points with lift pucks)

Show here in blue are the hook points to the frame of the car,
Old 03-11-2017, 12:00 AM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C6 Towing

I put together a couple items to keep in my 2012 GS, in case I get in a jam. I have two T hooks with loops, a 10 foot hooked nylon strap, a small 4X4 wood block. Figure to hook the looped Thooks in front shipping slots, attach nylon strap, little tension on line, and place block above strap on front crossmember in order to keep towline low to ground. Not sure this will work, hope I never need to find out! I was wondering if car(6 speed automatic transmission)should be left in neutral during the tow. Seems I read somewhere all the bouncing torques the drivetrain if left in park, and causes drivetrain damage. Hoping a fellow forum member could clarify this point!
The following users liked this post:
ignatz (09-18-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

I buy my Corvettes 'new' from a local dealer.
Couple times over past 15 years had to flatbed 'em.
Called dealer, they sent an outfit w/ their contract. Pros.
FWIW, no screw up either time.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Usmc041127
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

They are simple to secure. Just like any other vehicle. The only problem I have with them is ground clearance. On my 2 flatbeds I have 48 in 2x12s that lay on the back foot of the bed. Im meticulous and dont like anything to rub. Your average driver will just let them rub on the front. When I haul them I prefer to use wheel straps vs any chain. The last 2 I hauled didn't care and just told me to hurry and get the job done.
The following users liked this post:
TFFTBR (09-19-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Richard F
Pro

They used the tow hooks like they were supposed to and looks like they did a good job. Haven't had a chance to look under it yet. Dealership still has it. They are gonna pick up part of the tow costs...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Richard F; 03-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:28 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Easy way to is to just use tire type straps to strap the tires down to the flat bed, but the frame has tie down points that you use 4 of theses that will hook into the frame both sides in front and back of the doors on the bottom of the frame (same points we use for lift points with lift pucks)

This is 100% correct.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Richard F
Pro

Originally Posted by MH663
This is 100% correct.
That's what they used. Hope all went well...
Old 03-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Torquem
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

They towed your car upside down. So I would think they got it secured pretty good....
Old 03-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Richard F
Pro

Originally Posted by Torquem
They towed your car upside down. So I would think they got it secured pretty good....
Yeah you would think so..ha... I tried to turn the photo around several times before putting it on here but it wouldn't accept it for some reason. Every time I tried to post it, it was upside down.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Have them use the tire straps... the oval tie down holes in the frame can be over tightened by the winch and bent
Old 09-18-2017, 02:47 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by willem wallace
I put together a couple items to keep in my 2012 GS, in case I get in a jam. I have two T hooks with loops, a 10 foot hooked nylon strap, a small 4X4 wood block. Figure to hook the looped Thooks in front shipping slots, attach nylon strap, little tension on line, and place block above strap on front crossmember in order to keep towline low to ground. Not sure this will work, hope I never need to find out! I was wondering if car(6 speed automatic transmission)should be left in neutral during the tow. Seems I read somewhere all the bouncing torques the drivetrain if left in park, and causes drivetrain damage. Hoping a fellow forum member could clarify this point!
Thanks for thinking this out. Have you ever had to actually use this equipment since your post?

I'd been working at solving the problem of winching my C3 onto a trailer and while doing this, decided that I ought to have a plan for my C6. The existing aftermarket solutions were not at all appealing (e.g. remove the front fascia to install) and are mostly track oriented. I just want to be prepared in case of a breakdown and this sounds like what I need.

As to towing in neutral, I posted this question on the C3 forum and the answer was yes, at least for manual transmission. Automatic might be a different answer but I have a vision of a car in gear on a long haul slowly scrubbing the cylinder walls in the same spot.

Apologies if this was answered here, not enough time to read the whole thread but I wanted to thank you after reading your solution.

One question, who sells the T-hooks you used?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:48 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by choppychop
Have them use the tire straps... the oval tie down holes in the frame can be over tightened by the winch and bent
Is this a hypothetical, i.e. "might happen" or do you know for sure?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ignatz
I'm guessing it's not even hypothetical, since that's how they get tied down when shipping from BG to the dealer.
However, the riveted in place oval slot plate can be bent inward when jacking up the car with a smaller than desirable "puck" or other device.
It's all about the direction of the force, as in vertical or nearly horizontal.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Thanks for thinking this out. Have you ever had to actually use this equipment since your post?

I'd been working at solving the problem of winching my C3 onto a trailer and while doing this, decided that I ought to have a plan for my C6. The existing aftermarket solutions were not at all appealing (e.g. remove the front fascia to install) and are mostly track oriented. I just want to be prepared in case of a breakdown and this sounds like what I need.

As to towing in neutral, I posted this question on the C3 forum and the answer was yes, at least for manual transmission. Automatic might be a different answer but I have a vision of a car in gear on a long haul slowly scrubbing the cylinder walls in the same spot.

Apologies if this was answered here, not enough time to read the whole thread but I wanted to thank you after reading your solution.

One question, who sells the T-hooks you used?
Manuals should be in neutral, autos in park when towed on a flat bed.

Not sure if would happen for sure, but all my flatbed drivers were taught to use nothing but the wheel nets to secure vehicles. This allowed the vehicles to 'ride' on their own suspension. The only exceptions were vehicles that were in accidents and damaged to the point it wasn't feasible or safe to do so.

Last edited by Welker1; 09-18-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Usmc041127
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I NEVER haul anything in park. Its hard on transmission. The park paw. Plus its smarter to stay off the bed loading or unloading risking falling. Its easy to get your feet tangled in the rails.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523

Where would one buy these hooks? Thanks
NSF
Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Where would one buy these hooks? Thanks
NSF
Google search T hook.

Amazon has them too: