C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Job change anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Job change anxiety

After 23 years of living with the ups and downs of the car market I finally made a job change! I start Monday and have some anxiety setting in about starting over from the bottom. I truly believe I made the right move and to a great company that has nothing to do with automotive industry. Anyone here made a job change after a long period at your old job??
Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark H
After 23 years of living with the ups and downs of the car market I finally made a job change! I start Monday and have some anxiety setting in about starting over from the bottom. I truly believe I made the right move and to a great company that has nothing to do with automotive industry. Anyone here made a job change after a long period at your old job??

Yup.. went from employed to unemployed... not fun.. but seriously I would imagine that you did your homework did research and just didn't wildly jump out of what you know.... it also depends on what family responsibilities you have and that should come first IMHO.. I hope that the jump you made is for something that you will ENJOY doing... Credit to you for giving it a shot..
The following users liked this post:
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good luck in your new adventure...
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had my current job for 6 years, and that being a change from previously never keeping a job any longer than I had to - to get to the next place. I didn't like being told what to do. I imagine most people on this forum probably know what that feels like.

Nobody would ever believe you if you told them that I made it in life.

The pivotal point was when I woke up and decided that I was going to do only what makes me happy no matter how impossible it may seem. For me it was taking a job against all odds that turned into the ideal position for a person like me.

For you it may be that you had to leave high stress and more money for less money and less stress. Perhaps, but the fact is your level of happiness in life is directly related to how accomplished you feel.

Anxiety is natural, it's your body telling you that you are experiencing something you are unsure of. Nothing great ever happened by doing nothing, and there is no place to go but UP when you start at the bottom. Make this life what you want, you only get one chance that we know of.
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Job Change

I had 12 years with Ford and left to go with a Computer Company which I stayed with for 10 years. Left that job to move on to a Satellite Communications company for another 13 years. These all required moving with a family.

There is always some concerns with a new job, however in my case it kept me employed for my career. It certainly provided challenges to keep me on my toes, further my education and skill sets.

Best of Luck
JB
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:15 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as you're going to be happy there it's a good thing. Wish you the best. I know how miserable a bad job can make things so I really hope this is a great job you're going to.
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Went from retiring from the Air Force after 29 years working primarily in various intelligence fields to taking a job as an operations manager for the largest taxi/limo company in Las Vegas. After five years there, I followed my GM over to be the operations manager at the only National tow company. Three totally different jobs/careers and there was a bit of a learning curve, but good leadership and management skills apply just about any where and the Air Force taught me well. After a few years there, I fully retired due to having to battle with cancer.

Last edited by Welker1; 03-17-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good luck!
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:37 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

22 years in the Army in law enforcement and then immediately into a state law enforcement job. The 9 months between the time I submitted my retirement paperwork and actually finding a job was the most stressful time in my life because I knew I was going to be going from the top to the bottom. I wasn't that stressed in combat. All I knew was the Army way of life since high school and had no idea what it was going to be like as a civilian. Fortunately I have a wonderful wife and great kids and the transition went smoothly. I landed a job that put me near the top based on my experience and 20 years later I retired again. Life is Good!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

You made the decision so be thankful that you didn't have someone make it for you. Good luck and best wishes for a new chapter in your life. As a manager of professional engineers my advice is to go in to your new employment with confidence and show them that they made a good choice in selecting you for what ever job it is you will be doing.
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 AM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I left being a mechanic to systems administrator. I'll now be almost 10 years in that field. Hope to have a couple more career changes. Starting from the bottom is a great opportunity to craft yourself again.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Spent 26+ years as a professional firefighter, working 24 hrs on an 48 hrs off. Those 48 hrs I worked 2 other jobs for most of the 26 yrs. Retired 5 years ago. I now do absolutely nothing. Get up when I want, go to bed when I want. It gets boring at times, and at times, wish I had another job. I was also a Texas certified Peace Officer. I reserve for a small local police department. Its all in what you want to do. Good luck in your new job.
Mark H (03-20-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:42 PM
grr4
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After 15 years at UAB I was a tenured professor with a pretty good CV, but I was bored and really wanted to do what I was teaching undergraduates to do. So when my SO had an opportunity for a great positing in a distant location, I told her to take it, resigned my position cold turkey, and got a new job in the private sector in the new location. Job-wise, it's the best decision I've ever made. Because academia pays so poorly, I actually got a slight pay raise. I've never regretted the decision.
George
Old 03-18-2017, 03:01 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

As a Field Service Engineer for a Japanese medical company I was fired from my job because I was working two additional territories including my own assigned area. Their reason was because I fell behind in my duties for my own territory. Obviously it was impossible for me to do three jobs instead of one. I was working from 8:00 AM to midnight six days a week but it didn't matter. Afterwards they have been doing everything possible to keep me from getting employed elsewhere. I didn't want to bankrupt myself fighting them as they have more money to spend on lawyers than I do. Instead I've been getting by using my prevoius skills. Feel Thankful you don't have a large corporation trying to destroy you.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:11 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,704 Likes on 2,995 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've had to deal with this my entire working life (construction) it gets exhausting having to prove your self worth time after time after time to a new employer, I understand what you are going through, believe me
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, just don't ask when does break time lunch time start and when can you take a vacation. At least not on your first day! Above all, do not be a know it all. Everyone does it and goes through the anxiety.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks guys!! I feel lucky to have made the move myself before GM layoffs started effect my former employer. I just need to be thankful for going to a solid well established company with a great history!

Get notified of new replies

To Job change anxiety

Old 03-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I left an employer after 28 years because I was tired of being managed by intimidation by bozos that didn't have a clue what we did for a living. There was quite an adjustment with my new employer, but after 3 1/2 years I can honestly say I'm happy with the move.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
I've had to deal with this my entire working life (construction) it gets exhausting having to prove your self worth time after time after time to a new employer, I understand what you are going through, believe me
I had a steady long term job with a good company for 13 years while married raising my kids. I signed an agreement that if promoted I would move to the location of their choice. When that time came, my then wife refused and I was terminated. It caused a rift between my wife and me. I was forced into the nuclear field taking temporary jobs as a contractor being laid off every few months and then searching for work all over again. The marriage ended because I had to travel all over the country to chase work. Soon the nuclear jobs became shorter and shorter so I had to reinvent myself, yet again, and entered the DOE projects which ended after a little longer stints. Once again having to reinvent myself, I obtained my class B CDL and took a college course for heavy equipment operations. I now am involved in construction and still have to travel to locations far away for work. I also know how you feel every time a project ends.

Last edited by tri08sbc; 03-19-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

"One day at a time", works for everything in life.

Anxiety is only natural, just do not let it run.

You will be fine after a few weeks after making friends.

Quick Reply: Job change anxiety