C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ship using greyhound

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 AM
VaughnCo
VaughnCo
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Never ship using greyhound

Fellow Members,
Just wanted to share a quick Shipping Nightmare with you in hopes you don't make the same mistake.
As some of you may know a few weeks ago i, Like a dumd *** tried to pull into an automatic car wash with my lowered C6 . Needless to say i ripped the right front fog light clean off. After posting my need for a bumper on the forum i quickly received a mssg. I purchased the bumper and we arranged shipping. Greyhound being 1/2 of what FedEx costs we both decided Greyhound would work, wrong! Its been almost 3 weeks now and the bumper was last scanned in Dallas, last Wednesday! And NO ONE KNOWS WHERE THIS 5' BUMPER WRAPPED UP LIKE KING TUT IS. **** happens, right. Myself & Dave have experienced the worst, most incompetent customer service you can imagine, the worst. I almost expecting a Camera to pop out and this be an episode of Punked or something. Do Yourself a favor, NEVER SHIP WITH GREYHOUND or use them for anything in fact.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought a set of OEM ZR1 fenders from a guy and he shipped them greyhound. Package was received in good shape. Had no problems.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:36 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I shipped a front fascia for my 06 by Greyhound with no problems. The shop that installed it is another matter.

​Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:13 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

People have the same issue with every delivery service out there.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I to have shipped and been shipped via greyhound with all good experiences exception of the hassle of picking up and delivery.
As said above they all suck sooner or later.
I hope you get your bumper soon
Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Hopefully you had full value insurance so at least you can put in a claim for reimbursement.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:42 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Sorry for your misfortune. Years ago, I worked for a local blood bank. We shipped blood via bus (Greyhound and Continental Trailways) on a daily basis, both to hospitals and hospitals sent unused blood back to us the same way. We very seldom had problems.

Hope you get your part soon.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:51 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I shipped a front bumper via Greyhound from NC to CA for $80. It arrived after about 3 weeks in good shape. Also wrapped like a mummy.

Greyhound is the cheapest way to ship something big. The compromise is that there is no guaranteed delivery time frame. It gets there when it gets there and depends on Greyhound's schedule and available cargo space.

They should notify the you (or the person that shipped it) when it gets to the local destination depot.

The shipper should have been told that when it was shipped or he should have asked.

EDIT: I see you are not the shipper but the recipient.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 03-21-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:02 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Good Luck with the shipment. I'm sure you will receive it soon.
I've shipped big items via Greyhound, and have never had an issue. Most times, the item was delivered in less than a week.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

We picked up a matching ottoman from some rural warehouse (out of stock item) they shipped Greyhound. The box was beat up but the ottoman was fine. Picked it up at a seedy station in a bad part of a town 30 miles away.

Kinda comical really.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:02 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

My mother, sister and I were shipped from Oakland, CA to Long Beach, CA and back by Greyhound back in 1951 and we got delivered on time and intact on both ends. Imagine wanting to go from Oakland to Long Beach today. Death wish.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Have had no trouble with Greyhound. Used them several times. Recently did 4 spyder wheels from CA to SC. no problems.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:04 PM
65 Drivr
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought 6 antique chairs from EBay and they were shipped Greyhound. Other than having to go to the local greyhound station to pick them up there was no issues.
My brother bought a vintage gokart that was shipped greyhound with no issues.
As stated, all shippers have issues at some time. You just drew the short straw.
Good luck with your delivery. I hope it works out for you.

Originally Posted by VaughnCo
Fellow Members,
Just wanted to share a quick Shipping Nightmare with you in hopes you don't make the same mistake.
As some of you may know a few weeks ago i, Like a dumd *** tried to pull into an automatic car wash with my lowered C6 . Needless to say i ripped the right front fog light clean off. After posting my need for a bumper on the forum i quickly received a mssg. I purchased the bumper and we arranged shipping. Greyhound being 1/2 of what FedEx costs we both decided Greyhound would work, wrong! Its been almost 3 weeks now and the bumper was last scanned in Dallas, last Wednesday! And NO ONE KNOWS WHERE THIS 5' BUMPER WRAPPED UP LIKE KING TUT IS. **** happens, right. Myself & Dave have experienced the worst, most incompetent customer service you can imagine, the worst. I almost expecting a Camera to pop out and this be an episode of Punked or something. Do Yourself a favor, NEVER SHIP WITH GREYHOUND or use them for anything in fact.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 AM
NMJoe
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
My mother, sister and I were shipped from Oakland, CA to Long Beach, CA and back by Greyhound back in 1951 and we got delivered on time and intact on both ends. Imagine wanting to go from Oakland to Long Beach today. Death wish.

We did the same thing when I was a kid, back and forth between Albuquerque and El Paso. I would not do that today. Hell, I used to ride the city bus to work just a few years ago and my stop for the office was next to the Greyhound station. I go 6' and 225, and it scared the **** out of me to be down there. Especially in the winter when the sun went down before I boarded for home.

Thank God my employer came to their senses and moved us from downtown.

NMJ
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 AM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VaughnCo
I tried to pull into an automatic car wash with my lowered C6

I'm sorry man, the punishment for this oversight is a night in the stocks, and a public flogging.

May thee nev'r again beest tempted to drive thy horseless carriage through an automated dirt remover again!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Gotta agree with those who say, ship anything long enough and all the services will mess up---eventually.

I, too, shipped myself around the country once for six or seven months on a Greyhound bus. Well, different Greyhound buses, truthfully, but in a seat, not cargo. It was a time when you could meet "interesting" but not dangerous people on a bus.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

The Greyhound thing aside, what on earth were you smoking that made you think a Corvette belonged in an automatic car wash??

Get notified of new replies

To Never ship using greyhound

Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Next time try https://www.uship.com/

Companies/people bid on transporting your item.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 03-23-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:00 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by NMJoe
We did the same thing when I was a kid, back and forth between Albuquerque and El Paso. I would not do that today. Hell, I used to ride the city bus to work just a few years ago and my stop for the office was next to the Greyhound station. I go 6' and 225, and it scared the **** out of me to be down there. Especially in the winter when the sun went down before I boarded for home.

Thank God my employer came to their senses and moved us from downtown.

NMJ
You reminded me that my father used to ride the Key System buses and trains to and from work in San Francisco when we lived in Oakland. We didn't even own a car then. The old man sold our '46 Ford sedan (first car I can remember) and saw no need to replace it. Bought a TV though.

Last edited by RagTop69; 03-23-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Not only is my Dad an proud owner of a crystal red '10 GS but is also a retired Greyhound bus driver......mom once ran the bus station in the town where we used to live. Man, they could tell you some stories about what gets shipped on a bus and what goes on in the bus. I hope that your package is found unhurt but yeah......Greyhound has steadily went downhill since the early 90's. I wouldn't ride it now even if my life depended on it.

Quick Reply: Never ship using greyhound